Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased front and rear Metz 880's for my Vulcan 900. I bought the bike with 12,000 miles. I think it still has the stock Dunlop's on the bike, they were not totally worn but some of the wear marks were being touched and I figured since the bike was new to me, might as well ride on new tires.

Then since I am having the stealership put the tires on for me. I thought I should go ahead and have new pads thrown on at the same time. The bike shop sells only EBC brake pads. Does anyone have any comments on EBC brake pads and how much time is sufficient to be charged at the dealership to install the pads while they are already changing my tires and have the caliper off already in the first place.

Price I was quoted for the pads front and rear was 75 dollars. And I believe they told me 15 minutes per tire to merely pull old pads off and put new ones on. That seems like 15 minutes overpayment. Since it literally takes seconds to change out the pads with the caliper's off in the first place.

Anyway I'm open to comments, I go in on Friday morning to have the tires changed. And was hoping to hear some advice or comments on my upcoming service.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
I just purchased front and rear Metz 880's for my Vulcan 900. I bought the bike with 12,000 miles. I think it still has the stock Dunlop's on the bike, they were not totally worn but some of the wear marks were being touched and I figured since the bike was new to me, might as well ride on new tires.

Then since I am having the stealership put the tires on for me. I thought I should go ahead and have new pads thrown on at the same time. The bike shop sells only EBC brake pads. Does anyone have any comments on EBC brake pads and how much time is sufficient to be charged at the dealership to install the pads while they are already changing my tires and have the caliper off already in the first place.

Price I was quoted for the pads front and rear was 75 dollars. And I believe they told me 15 minutes per tire to merely pull old pads off and put new ones on. That seems like 15 minutes overpayment. Since it literally takes seconds to change out the pads with the caliper's off in the first place.

Anyway I'm open to comments, I go in on Friday morning to have the tires changed. And was hoping to hear some advice or comments on my upcoming service.
Change the pads yourself if you feel you are being gouged. The mechanic does not have to remove the calipers to remove the wheels so it would be an extra step for them. When you do change the pads you should lightly scuff up the rotors with 400 grit paper then clean with brake clean spray. This will remove the contaminates from the old pads.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Brake pads are an easy replacement... why not do it yourself and save the labor?

As far as the EBC brake pads, theyr'e what I used for my 1st replacement on the rear, and they seem to work just fine. Might consider bleeding the brake lines at the same time to get the most bang for your buck.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Change the pads yourself if you feel you are being gouged. The mechanic does not have to remove the calipers to remove the wheels so it would be an extra step for them. When you do change the pads you should lightly scuff up the rotors with 400 grit paper then clean with brake clean spray. This will remove the contaminates from the old pads.
I thought you had to pull the caliper off of the rotor to remove the wheel from the bike. I guess I am looking at it all wrong. :(

·
Banned
1,493 Posts
Kawasaki brand OEM brake pads are better than the EBC kevlar organics, I got my OEM pads from ronayers.com, when calling just give them the OEM pad numbers, changing pads is easy if you have tools, consider getting a bike lift and tools to remove the front and rear tires yourself and just bring the wheels to the dealer for new rubber, also consider changing pads yourself

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
I thought you had to pull the caliper off of the rotor to remove the wheel from the bike. I guess I am looking at it all wrong. :(
The front is easier than the rear since the caliper is trailing the axle and you are removing the wheel away from the front of the bike while the rear caliper gets in the way so need to get the frame higher off the ground.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kawasaki brand OEM brake pads are better than the EBC kevlar organics, I got my OEM pads from ronayers.com, when calling just give them the OEM pad numbers, changing pads is easy if you have tools, consider getting a bike lift and tools to remove the front and rear tires yourself and just bring the wheels to the dealer for new rubber, also consider changing pads yourself
I like doing my own work on certain tasks. Like I change my own oil, and coolant, change spark plugs. But without a stand changing tires just seemed logical for bike shop to do it. And besides I kind of like the idea of a mechanic listening to the bike and taking it for a spin to assure me everything sounds and performs well.

No matter what I will have to bleed the lines when I remove the pads. I think I read you have to loosten the brake line to rotate the caliper enough to change out the pads. Just a few squeezes and Im good to go. I'll check into the OEM pads today. I am scheduled to have the tires put on the bike tomorrow morning. 120 to change both tires and dispose of the old ones. 1.5hrs = 112.50, then 4 dollars per tire disposal. I think they charge 75 dollar and hour. I think I will just do the pads with them tomorrow to get it out of my hair. 75 for the pads, then 35 for labor. 110.00 dollars. So I will end up spending 225.00 total. And of course I had to pay 260.00 for the Metz 880's. Wow a lot of damn money.

I'm going to invest in a bike stand. :(

Thank you for your help. :)

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ronayers.com does not seem to carry 43082 part number OEM brake pads for a 2006 Vulcan 900 classic.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One final question, is 30 minutes an unreasonable amount of time for the bike shop to charge me for changing brake pads with the tires removed from the bike?

I cannot see it taking me longer than 15 minutes and they are the pros. So I am just wondering what other members experiences have been for shop time. I am not all that worried about 20 bucks. I just don't like to be bullshitted.

·
Banned
593 Posts
One final question, is 30 minutes an unreasonable amount of time for the bike shop to charge me for changing brake pads with the tires removed from the bike?

I cannot see it taking me longer than 15 minutes and they are the pros. So I am just wondering what other members experiences have been for shop time. I am not all that worried about 20 bucks. I just don't like to be bullshitted.
Sounds MORE than reasonable.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
If you decide to change the pads yourself, don't loosen the brake lines to the calipers. There's enough flex in the hoses to move the calipers around to get at the parts you need to remove. You will need a C clamp or something similar to compress the pistons to make room for the thicker pads. I use a thin piece of wood to cover both pistons before compressing them in. Also buy some hi-temp grease and lightly coat the sliding parts. You should clean the exposed surfaces of the pistons with Simple Green before compressing them. Blow out any trapped brake dust before coating the sliding parts. Don't forget to torque the bolts you remove to 25 ft-lb. Oh yeah, remember what I posted about sanding & cleaning the rotors.

·
Registered
546 Posts
that is not alot of $$ you are paying overhead, mechanic wages, liability ins. misc. supplies, and not to mention DIY and screw something up and it cost more to fix.

my opinion is if you can do it at a slow & learning pace you will be more confrotable worrking on your bike as you learn the functions of diffrent areas, dont be afraid to ask questions

experimenting one time I put carbon kevlar brake pads on my on my 4x4 suburban now all my vheicles including bikes all use cabon kevlar brake pads, I would not use any thing else

good luck

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds MORE than reasonable.
Yeah it's 38.50 for a half hour's time and I guess they clean up the caliper before pad installation. It's not terrible.

My total quote was 113.50

Brake pads front and rear 75.00 (37.50 per set).
38.50 labor
Total = 113.50

77 dollars a hour x 1.5 hours = 115.50 to change front and rear tire.

8.00 dollars for tire disposal. 4 dollars per tire.

I came up with 237.00 total bill.

Along with the 264.00 for the tires. I spent 501.00 dollars total for brand new Metzeler ME880's and new EBC organic brake pads front and rear.

I'm ready to ride. No reason to be cheap when it comes to tires and brakes.

Thanks guys for your input. ;)

·
Registered
224 Posts
I tried EBC pads once front/rear and didn't like them. Although they stopped well,They seemed to wear out quicker and made more noise than the oem pads(my rear brake pads actually wore out quicker than my front with EBC). Like Degreaser said, I went back to the oem pads through RonAyermotorsports.com. Paid a little more for oem,but am happy with the stopping power and wear better.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I tried EBC pads once front/rear and didn't like them. Although they stopped well,They seemed to wear out quicker and made more noise than the oem pads(my rear brake pads actually wore out quicker than my front with EBC). Like Degreaser said, I went back to the oem pads through RonAyermotorsports.com. Paid a little more for oem,but am happy with the stopping power and wear better.
I tried to find oem pads for my 06 Vulcan 900 Classic at Ron Ayers website and was unable to find them. It's curious why the bike shop in my area only carries EBC, they do not even carry OEM brake pads. :(

Oh and btw, how long did your ebc brake pads last you? How many miles are they usually good for?

I only plan to ride 3,000 miles a year tops.

·
Registered
224 Posts
My local dealers didn't carry oem pads either,On ronayers.com their website is a little user unfriendly at first, but once you go through typing in your year/make/model you should get to a section for the brake pads where you can order them.they have fast shipping and great prices

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My local dealers didn't carry oem pads either,On ronayers.com their website is a little user unfriendly at first, but once you go through typing in your year/make/model you should get to a section for the brake pads where you can order them.they have fast shipping and great prices
I would like to challenge you to find the oem brake pads for a 06 Vulcan 900 Classic on ronayers website. I've tried with oem part number. And looking it up with just year, make, model. I was not very successful. So if you can, please supply me a link so that I can take a look. :confused:

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I ended up finding them, the ronayer website is horrible. I was able to finally find the full and complete part number, and that was definitely required to find the brake pads.

Front OEM brake pads(Part Number: 43082-0059),

http://www.ronayers.com/Search/N/687

Rear OEM brake pads (Part Number: 43082-0063),

http://www.ronayers.com/Search/N/687

Ol Ron definately needs to fire their web designer. .

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This is the site I use to locate parts for my Vulcan as well as my two Hondas. Very easy to navigate. http://www.mrcycles.com/

I tried the website just to test it out. Sure enough very easy to navigate got me directly to the OEM parts, and the price was pretty much the same on every site I have visited.

Front and Rear OEM pads are going to cost 100.00, I'm getting the EBC's for 75.00. Probably not as good as the OEM ones, but convenient. I just wonder how long the EBC's are good for. MILES?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts