Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dealer won't let me "fly before I buy." Voyager comfort compared to HD Ultra Classic

I've run into this more and more as the years go buy. I want to check out a Voyager before I drop my cash and the dealer won't allow test rides, even for serious buyers. Every bike I've ever owned... I rode it first before making a final decision. So far, two dealers in one week have pulled this on me.

My question is: For anyone familiar with the Ultra Classic (2009 or so), how does the Voyager's rear shocks compare to Harley in terms of ride quality and comfort. I noticed the Voyager's shocks are much softer, meaning i can sit on the bike and get a lot of travel, compared to the Harley.

I have played with the air in my Ultra's shocks and to this day, I don't consider them to be very comfortable on anything but the smoothest road... very disappointing for a $22,000 bike.

Comments?

·
Registered
112 Posts
shocks on Voyager are air and rebound adjustable as well. Maybe the ones you sat on only had a few pounds air in them. Sorry, haven't owned a HD bagger, can't speak for them, I know you can add air, but do they have rebound adjustments as well?

Voyager I bought last December had 300 miles on it, claimed they used it as a demo bike.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I guess I'm old enough now that dealers granting 'test rides' are a new thing, it certainly doesn't happen in this area and back in the day no such animal as a test ride existed except for rare dealer/manufacturer sponsored events. I certainly don't blame dealers for not allowing test rides either, I personally won't buy a motorcycle with any miles on it and I won't allow test rides on used bikes I've sold... you want, buy it and ride it...

·
Registered
894 Posts
I test rode an Ultra before buying my Voyager - Both seats felt good and supportive - And you can play with the shocks - Where I found the major difference was the feet - The Ultra cramped my feet - they felt trapped by the lower fairing . . . The Voyager protects them but doesn't box them in . . .

·
Registered
170 Posts
Victory was the only ones to let me test ride and Harley offered to deduct the cost of a rental bike from the price if I bought. In the end I'm glad I bought the Vaquero even without the test.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Yeah, my dealer does not allow test rides. From a buyer's point of view, I would love to test ride but, also, I want a brand new bike when I buy, not one that a bunch of people tried out. Just my 2¢.

·
Registered
196 Posts
When I was shopping for a bike, the Yamaha guy told me to tell him what I wanted to test ride and he would have it ready when I came in. I actually did not test ride anything there but the Victory dealership (not metric, I know) let me hop on a Cross Country and basically said to go ride and come back when you're done. I've tested bikes at a Honda dealership too during their special test ride days. But only test rode Kawis when they've had an event or at the motorcycle show.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Harley let me test ride whatever I wanted - Kawi let me test a Vaquero - I figured that was close to the Voyager and went with that . . .

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for all the replies, I guess not allowing a ride is more common than I thought.

What I'm trying to find out is if the Voyager rear suspension is more comfortable than the Ultra Classic, if anyone has experience with both.

I understand they have the same basic set-up, while Victory Cross Country has a single shock, however.

I don't think my Harley's rear suspension is particularly comfortable and really doesn't impress me, especially knowing how much I paid for it.

Who has ridden both, chosen the Voyager, and why did they choose the Voyager over the Harley as far as comfort is concerned???

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
When I was shopping for a bike, the Yamaha guy told me to tell him what I wanted to test ride and he would have it ready when I came in. I actually did not test ride anything there but the Victory dealership (not metric, I know) let me hop on a Cross Country and basically said to go ride and come back when you're done. I've tested bikes at a Honda dealership too during their special test ride days. But only test rode Kawis when they've had an event or at the motorcycle show.
Special test ride days and factory sponsored events don't count.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I've run into this more and more as the years go buy. I want to check out a Voyager before I drop my cash and the dealer won't allow test rides, even for serious buyers. Every bike I've ever owned... I rode it first before making a final decision. So far, two dealers in one week have pulled this on me.
Comments?
Where are you located?
I have a dealer in my area with a couple of demo bikes he is going to have all month. Maybe you could call around and see if there are any dealers in your area with a demo.
Also, you can get a pretty good idea of what it is like riding a low mileage used bike.

Scott

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Thank you for all the replies, I guess not allowing a ride is more common than I thought.

What I'm trying to find out is if the Voyager rear suspension is more comfortable than the Ultra Classic, if anyone has experience with both.

I understand they have the same basic set-up, while Victory Cross Country has a single shock, however.

I don't think my Harley's rear suspension is particularly comfortable and really doesn't impress me, especially knowing how much I paid for it.

Who has ridden both, chosen the Voyager, and why did they choose the Voyager over the Harley as far as comfort is concerned???
I have owned both and to me the Voyager is way more adjustable and comfortable. As far as test rides, I have never bought a bike I didn't ride. I have owned many. The Voyager I now own is the first Metric I have owned.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I bought my Nomad a couple of years ago and I went for two test rides before I bought. The same dealer sells Victory, and I took a Cross Country Tour for a ride this year.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I personally won't buy a motorcycle with any miles on it
I want a brand new bike when I buy, not one that a bunch of people tried out.
I wouldn't have a problem buying one with demo miles on it, in fact I did, with 377miles on it, and it was priced $2800 under MSRP. New 2011 Voyager and just before the 2012's came out. Got a new bike, the one I wanted, and saved some cash for upgrades. You ever bought a car without test driving it? I haven't.

Just my opinion

·
Registered
85 Posts
Kawasaki Demo Days

Same thing happened to me, so I went to a Kawasaki Demo Day up in Detroit a couple of weekends ago. It was fantastic.

But I had to find it out on my own -- the dealer didn't tell me about it. After months of asking he had no idea how I could get up on one with or w/o my 2nd rider except to sit on one in the showroom. I don't know how you can sell a bike or a car unless you allow realistic potential buyers to try it out on a circuit around your business.

The Detroit Demo Days were the last weekend of this year that Kawa will be doing the Demo events. So if you wish to ride one at a Demo Day, you'll have to wait till next year. Sorry bout that. A few weeks ago and you still coulda done it.

Another option is to get on the Kawasaki web site and search for a dealer that will allow Demo's. They are few and far between but you might be able to find one within driving distance of you and call them up.

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
I have purchased handlebars and a few clothing items at the local Harley dealer, and while looking at their bikes, the sales guys always encourage me to take their bikes out for test rides. They say that with their new bikes, they would like to limit it to ten miles, but if I wanted to try a used bike, I could take it for a day! "Bring your wife and take a little trip on it if you like!"

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have owned both and to me the Voyager is way more adjustable and comfortable. As far as test rides, I have never bought a bike I didn't ride. I have owned many. The Voyager I now own is the first Metric I have owned.
Thanks, King A.

Where do you keep your air pressure in the shocks on your Voyager? I have found the recommended pressures in owners manuals tend to be too firm for many people. Harley recommends 35 psi for my body weight and it's WAY too stiff for me.

I worry about not putting enough air in, though. I don't want it to bottom out while riding over a nasty road.

Thoughts anyone?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts