Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
get the maintenance record for the bike. If the person took care of it then its sounds like a good deal....BUT, 20,000 miles is when things usually needs replacing .IE. brake caliper rubber parts, coolant hoses,fuel hoses. but that comes with the territory for every used bike. i think i would do it if the owner took care of it

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
get the maintenance record for the bike. If the person took care of it then its sounds like a good deal....BUT, 20,000 miles is when things usually needs replacing .IE. brake caliper rubber parts, coolant hoses,fuel hoses. but that comes with the territory for every used bike. i think i would do it if the owner took care of it
Not necessarily true. Rubber parts are more based on age and sun exposure than mileage.

My '01 Voyager was 10 years old and had 48,000 miles on it and did not need any of the rubber bits replaced. Always garaged and covered when not moving.

There are a few folks who are already up near 70,000 miles on these bikes.

Even if you did have to do some maintenance the price compensates for that. I never buy a used bike without factoring in $1000 to get it back into tip top shape. Always change all the fluids and check all the running gear when I buy a used bike.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Not necessarily true. Rubber parts are more based on age and sun exposure than mileage.

My '01 Voyager was 10 years old and had 48,000 miles on it and did not need any of the rubber bits replaced. Always garaged and covered when not moving.

There are a few folks who are already up near 70,000 miles on these bikes.

Even if you did have to do some maintenance the price compensates for that. I never buy a used bike without factoring in $1000 to get it back into tip top shape. Always change all the fluids and check all the running gear when I buy a used bike.
yeah, i guess your right. depending on the rider and how many miles they put on it in a year would factor in about 5000 miles a year. i like to try and do my maintenance according to the manual, and it suggest changing it every 4 years

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i rode it today, and the only thing i found was- i heard what sounded to be a lifter tap. but after a 5 mile ride it went away. the bike had not been in a pretty good while. my 1500 vulcan would do the same thing.

·
Registered
434 Posts
i rode it today, and the only thing i found was- i heard what sounded to be a lifter tap. but after a 5 mile ride it went away. the bike had not been in a pretty good while. my 1500 vulcan would do the same thing.
my buddy had the same year and about the same miles on his Nomad when he sold it this spring... I think he got about $9500 for it...

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
yeah, i guess your right. depending on the rider and how many miles they put on it in a year would factor in about 5000 miles a year. i like to try and do my maintenance according to the manual, and it suggest changing it every 4 years
I believe they are recommending that based on the worst case scenario which would be living in an apartment and the bike sitting outside uncovered. I have seen many older bikes that are protected from the elements that have not had issues. I have also seen 4 year old bikes that sit outside all the time and the rubber and plastic bits are in pretty poor shape.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts