1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here are the particulars:
'07 V2K LT
Riding,, had been starting fine.
Stopped for a soda, shut down and go inside the store.
Come back out, turn Switch key and NOTHING. No lights of any kind or sounds, horn won't blow.
Did visual check of fuses, battery, cables, starter relay. Nothing jumps out at you.
Wait a bit, turn the key, and it's alive. At least until I hit the starter button.
Bike has just over 8k on it.
Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
BOTM Winner, October 2016
537 Posts
Check connections and fuses. Bad ground possibly. Test the battery, they give out. Move to looking for corrosion inside the switch housing and headlight bucket. Most people have issues with the lower regulator /rectifier and it's connections. Best of luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
102 Posts
as Rod said but probably start with the battery. a multi meter will tell you most of what you need. test battery voltage with key off. should be at least 12.5v. key on similar. hit the starter and if it disappears i would suspect the battery( multi leads direct to battery) if battery is suspect it would also pay to check charging voltage when you get bike going in case this is the cause.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you look back at trentonc's post "dirty fuse=drag ign. from 2 days ago my scoot did exactly the same, only without the eventual start and the priest. Last night had my fluke on it as descibed, hit the starter button and it went to 0. I put my battery tender on it and I'll check some more this evening after work. Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Hi copperhead.....crappy luck. Since I cleaned the fuses, I haven't had it on the road. Work and weather have conspired to keep me off the road. Of course, the weather is currently awesome and I'm 3 hrs away from my [email protected]#&$!.:mad:
Anyways, all I did was cycle/start it a few times to check and it fired up being fine. That being said, as long as it's too crappy to ride I want to check a few more things so I don't get stranded.
1) I'm going to pull off the speedo/switch housing and check those connections. The fact that I had full power from the battery to my aftermarket power-point indicates that the battery shouldn't be an issue.
2) I'll pull apart the starter button just to check for corrosion, but the starter button wasn't part of my issue. I hadn't done anything other than turn the key and it was dead.
3) It appeared that when I pulled the decomp fuse suddenly power went to the key. I'm going to try replicating that by pulling the fuse while it's on, see if all power to the key/lcd disappears when I pull it.
4) I'll be poking around looking for shorts/poor connections at the fusebox, rectifier, etc. I've putzed with all sorts of things on this beast over the winter so I cannot completely rule out that I'm responsible for this.
I'll let you what/if I learn anything during my exploration..........

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. Good info. Just thought it was weird they both did it within a day or so.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Personally, I felt the old girl just wanted to embarrass me in front of all the other bikers... Lol. What was really funny though, was the 2 Harley riders I started out with. One died 50ft. from his driveway with a short that fried his battery, the other stalled out 1/2 way to the rally. I was so close to joking about Hardly Riding, but held my tongue. I woulda eaten much crow on top of the bugs that day...... Lol

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep, must be something about these bikes that causes your brain to mouth filter to quit when around hd guys.lol Anyway, went darkside with the general gmax as03. Love it. Really can't tell it most of the time. On another track (hardly d related), the guy that owns the local shop rides a powder blue 04. Told me he had a bunch pass him on I-77 last Sunday. He caught them easy, then they wanted to run. Said he let them get out about 1/4 mile and laid into it. Claimed 160 mph by his gps when he went by them. He still runs N.A. gears, Factory exhaust. Had added a hyper charger and power commander 3. Since he owns his own Dino it shows close 2 160hp and 185 torque. Don't know how to take that but if true my God! Dude is in his late 60s.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Haha, awesome! That ride was the first time I'd went with these guys, and TBH most of my riding is solo quiet time. My schedule has really screwed me over from joining weekend ride-arounds. Had to laugh, because when all was said and done my buddy was telling me how loud it was. I goosed it a couple times and he said it was damn near deafening from behind. (I'm never there, so who knew?) and he also commented that when I gave her some juice from intersections he couldn't believe how much it pulled off the line (and I'm not the most aggressive drive) He drives a tricked out '99 springer (absolutely beautiful bike) and his cousin who broke down was on a 70K custom chopper build that apparently flies......hopefully next time we ride I'll be able to see where my Beast compares to the monster custom job.....

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This old boy told me that he knew of any stock hd other than a vrod could run with a v2k. He also doesn't think a S&S 131" would do a whole lot. His opinion is that a HD is going to have to have some serious performance mods to keep up. My own experiences lately I tend to agree. My younger brother is a die hard harley guy, and I've told him I don't care what you ride. Just don't Park it in the shop and spend all your free time waxing it. Just ride the damn thing.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh, btw. Had my batt load tested. Was on a tender all night and came in at 9.6 volts, 0 cranking amps. Pretty well toast. Might not be all of the issue but it sure is a good start.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Makes sense..... Random related question: what psi are you running on your Gmax?.... You might have said before.....

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Running 36 right now. Started at 40, then a cold snap brought it back down to 36. Thought what the hecck, give it a try. Rides like silk and handles like a motorcycle tire. I have noticed that now that the temps are rising, so of course the pressure is as well. Checked by a stroll this past Sunday and it was 42. 30 degree difference in air temp. So I bled it back down. I haven't checked but I suspect the pressure rises as the tire heats as well. I'll try to remember to Guage it next ride and see. Also, THE BEAST LIVES! All that trouble and aggravation over a battery. I hope I hope. We'll see. Kinda hard to fix if it ain't broke.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Yep, must be something about these bikes that causes your brain to mouth filter to quit when around hd guys.lol Anyway, went darkside with the general gmax as03. Love it. Really can't tell it most of the time. On another track (hardly d related), the guy that owns the local shop rides a powder blue 04. Told me he had a bunch pass him on I-77 last Sunday. He caught them easy, then they wanted to run. Said he let them get out about 1/4 mile and laid into it. Claimed 160 mph by his gps when he went by them. He still runs N.A. gears, Factory exhaust. Had added a hyper charger and power commander 3. Since he owns his own Dino it shows close 2 160hp and 185 torque. Don't know how to take that but if true my God! Dude is in his late 60s.

160 mph on a Vulcan 2000?

If so, embellishment I say. The rev limiter won't allow enough engine RPM to hit 160mph true speed with NA gears. Nor with Euro gears for that matter.

160, I'd believe, if he had the GPS set to metric units. ;)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Maybe so, maybe no. Can't say either way. I can say that if anyone could it would be him. You can do a lot of things others can't when you own the dealership outright with access to a anything you can dream of, including your own personal dyno and the ability to write your own tunes. That and it being owned by the same family for 4 generations counting his grandsons with a known racing history. I'll not tell him he's a liar. I thought along the same lines and have no desire to go like that since I quit occasionally riding in the door gunners seat a lifetime ago. So let's call it an entertaining story and dream of doing something like that to some deserving people when we lay our heads down tonight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T817A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I didn't take it that way bud. And while I agree that there are certain things that limit, or place a ceiling on what our v2k can accomplish I still can't help but look at things like Rod has posted above and wonder if the old boy was telling the whole story. I mean, those guys went to Bonneville fully expecting 140, and the surface conditions got them. What would they have been able to do on concrete? I honestly believe they'd have gotten their 140, maybe a bit more. I know the euro gears will give you more on the top, but what does reversing the NA gears do? What would that combined with the ability to map a tune specific to that situation as well as removing the Rev limiter. Again, there is an extremely strong possibility that you have a background that I simply can't match and freely admit it. But I can't ever discount out of hand this gentleman's claim having not been there and knowing his background. The above article was written in 2007. A bunch of thing that weren't possible then are now. So is he full of crap? Probably. But just maybe he's not, and he was just not giving all his secrets away. I just don't know but the very idea of something like that makes for some sweet dreams. Even better than dreaming about good looking women when you hit a certain age! Lol Have a good one guys, and don't get so serious about silly crap. Life's way too short to waste time that could be spent thinking about riding. Man, this thread got WAY far away from the question at the beginning. How do we kill it? Haha.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Fresh battery... Good! Dead battery... Bad!........ Chunga! Chunga hungry!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts