Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I purchased an 03 Nomad 1500 Fi last summer and it's been a great bike and great to ride. At the beginning of this season I was having issues with the fuel pump not priming, so I pulled the battery, got it tested, and was told it needed replaced. I bought a brand new battery and still had the same problem. After lurking through the forums and reading posts of similar issues, I tried pulling the tank and replacing the fuel pump filter and cleaning the assembly. Sure enough the fuel pump primed right up and it has been running strong ever since.

Fast forward a month and I have a new problem- it's dead. I rode it to work in the morning, it started right up without hesitation, made the 25 mile trip no problems, and parked it for the day. Came out to leave work and I have no electronics whatsoever. No head/tail lights, no indicator lights on the speedo, no horn. Nothing. Thinking maybe the battery died, I called for a jump. We hooked the jumper pack up to the battery, still no power to ANYTHING. We make sure all the connections are tight, make sure they're clean and not corroded. Still no power. Then we decide to hook the jumper pack up to the started and ground it to the frame, as soon as we do the starter begins to crank like normal, but without fuel in the pump there's nothing to fire.

Finally I got it towed home, pulled the battery out and checked it with a multimeter, 12.82volts. Battery is good. At this point I'm thinking there is a short or a loose connection, but I have no idea where to start testing to try and figure it out.

The tow truck guy said maybe the ignition switch was somehow messed up and was acting like the key wasn't in/turned on, so I think I can check that, but any other input would be appreciated!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Checked it tonight with the Ohm meter, tested as it should.
Just out of curiosity I checked what would happen to the battery when the key was turned, no change in voltage.

·
Registered
11,753 Posts
First test:

1. On starter solenoid, push red meter lead down beside white wire to contact pin.
2. Black meter lead to battery ground.
3. Take voltage reading.

Post back with reading.

·
Registered
11,753 Posts
1. Locate junction (fuse) box.
2. Push red meter lead down beside any one of the brown wires.
3. Key on, take reading.

Post back with reading.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1. Locate junction (fuse) box.
2. Push red meter lead down beside any one of the brown wires.
3. Key on, take reading.

Post back with reading.
Both solid brown wires toggled between 0V and .01V with key on, B/W wire (not sure if it makes a difference) had 12.93V with key on and off

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
It's a long shot, but on the left side of the bike, coming off of the ignition switch is a pigtail with 5 wires. Goes up under the fuel tank. It plugs into the main harness. Check to insure it is plugged in and tight.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had the same problem and it turned out to me my ignition switch. I had to take it apart and reassemble it, one of the ball bearings(there are two in there) had moved out of place and caused the issue. It's a pain to keep the two bearings in place while you reassemble but if you take your time and have patience you'll get it. The way I narrowed it down was I unplugged the ignition harness and used a jumper to bypass the ignition switch, boom the electronics started working fine so that confirmed the issue. good luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok the tank is drained, the bolts are loosened, the hoses are removed, ready to pull the tank off. The only problem is I am not sure what to check next or how to check it. The connections were tight and are very clean, but I hit them with some contact cleaner anyways just in case.

I have tried looking at the wiring diagram in the manual aaaaaand it's kinda gibberish.

Any suggestions of how/what to do next?

·
Registered
249 Posts
One tip... download a manual for your bike. Then you can zoom in/out, or even copy the diagram and make notes all over it if you want without messing up your nice printed manuals...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts