Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, please do not turn this thread into a safety discussion. I REALLY don't want to hear it.

Does anyone know an effective way to disable our daytime running lights? When i turn the switch on, i want the lights on... when i turn the switch off, i want them off.

There's gotta be some neat trick to do that.

·
Registered
29 Posts
1. Cut the power wire to the headlight.
2. Attach a toggle switch.
3. ?????
4. PROFIT!

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1. Cut the power wire to the headlight.
2. Attach a toggle switch.
Yeah, but i'm trying to get around adding another switch. I'd like to be able to control it from the standard lightswitch somehow.

Dang, come to think of it, that's a high/low switch. Maybe adding another switch is the only way to do it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Get a shop manual, trace the wiring, find the relay that delays the headlight coming on until after the start switch has been pressed, bypass that relay. Job done.

I don't understand why, but I don't have to, either. Your bike, your way, ;)

·
Registered
976 Posts
You could follow the lines from the wiring bundle to the headlights, tail lights and such and cut them with a pair of dikes.

Little bit harder to turn em back on though.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Best way is probably to get a small push button switch from a marine store since it will have a rubber sealing boot and mount on the headlight bucket.

In the bucket:
R/BK wire goes to highbeam side of the highbeam switch and the dash light
BK/Y wire goes to the highbeam switch also connected to the relay box (headlight relay)
R/Y wire goes into never never land through joint connector A

I've done it before but you get pulled over when you forget to turn it back on, unless a momentary switch is used.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, i guess cutting in with a switch will be the way to do it. Good idea about the marine switch, Baitis.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Lost Californian has the right idea. However, I would say it slightly differently. Take the relay input off and route that wire (switched from the ignition) and route it to a series on/off switch and back to the input of the relay. I think that may be what LC meant by "bypassing the relay".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts