Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm a little curious, what do the regular "bikers" think about think about these newer models coming out with these d c t tranny's on them? Personally, I'm old school and like to use a clutch on a bike. Also, I have to wonder what the maintenance on these dct bikes Cost'$ and how difficult are they to repair? I can almost imagine that it seems that these dct bikes would take the fun out of riding. Anyone out there riding 1 of these dct bikes?:unsure:

· Registered
2006 Nomad 1600
266 Posts
With all the other riding things out there that have this type of tranny in them, I can guess it will be a easy jump. Not only that but will be a good design.

For me, no, but for other that are getting into bikes and don't want to play with that part of the bike, sure why not. Bring in as many as you can to the sport and hobby as long as they take a good class and enjoy the road with the rest of us.

I too love the ability to shift when I want to, find that great sport in the power band (if my bike has one) and enjoy it. All the control at my hands and feet are a good feeling to me. If my first bike had a D C Tranny on it, I might not feel that way.

· Super Moderator
2,995 Posts
I can take or leave shifting. When I downsize (yeah, I keep threatening to do that) I would be happy with a bike with or without DCT. If I can find one that I like for a good price, I will likely get a Honda CTX700 DCT. If I get something else with a manual tranny, that's good, too.

· Registered
2012 Nomad
1,893 Posts
As I get older, I get lazier.
In my SUV and pickup, both have auto transmission. Would not consider going back to manual.

However, I don't seem to mind shifting my bike so far. Can't foresee how I will feel in the future.

· Super Moderator
6,281 Posts
I have a 2015 Can-am Spyder F3 Special Edition Trike with an automatic. You have to shift up, but it downshifts automatically. Needed the automatic because of foot drop in my left foot. Can’t shift anymore. But I like the automatic. Plus it is super fast and corners like it’s on rails.

Before buying the Spyder, like Sabre-t, considered the Honda CTX700 DCT. But felt the trike would be better a better option because it would be hard for me to hold up a two wheeler.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Cloud

· Registered
400 Posts
I’ve been riding a very long time and have always valued both manual vehicles and of course shifting my bikes. I laughed when the DCT’s came out. With that said…I have ridden both the 1100 and the gold wing DCT. Absolutely blown away by both. I would buy one without hesitation if I get to the point I can’t or just don’t want to do the shifting any longer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts