Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
took the bike for a ride yesterday with the double headlight hook up short ride maybe 10 miles. to day go for a longer ride may be 30 miles half way trew the ride the 10 amp fuse blew for the headlights i hooked up. i stop put a new one in road all the way home still on. so the question was it a bad fuse or problem, or can i step up to a 15 amp fuse.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Ok so what wattage is each headlight?

If they are 55/60 watts lets work with the 60W..

2x60W=120w

120w/12v=10Amps which is the full rating of your fuse before you add in tail light or any other items on that circuit.

Also be aware its normal for automotive fuses to have a +/- 5% tolerance in the rating.

I would suggest that you need to incorperate a pair of relays (one for low beam and one for high) and a new fused power feed to your headlights using appropriate rated automotive wire.

Hear is a diagram from http://www.traxide.com.au

I notice he has change over relays that have terminals 87 and 87A, you could just use dual output relays which have 2 x terminals marked 87 and use one terminal to each of the headlights instead and save the cost and space of 2 extra relays.

I would encourage you to take a look at this http://www.traxide.com.au/HL_info.html for some decent info.

I also have no affiliation whith this company though I am a satisfied customer.

·
Registered
74 Posts

2x60W=120w

120w/12v=10Amps which is the full rating of your fuse before you add in tail light or any other items on that circuit.
One factor to take into consideration is what gauge wiring is used to bring the 12V to the headlight. In strict term, 4ft of 16AWG from the relay to the headlight (length is a guess!) will drop the voltage to about 11.7V, a .3V loss. The 16AWG is an assumption on my part, I don't know whether that's what's being used. Anyway, that's not much of a drop, but when you take 120W and divide by 11.7V, you get an addition .25A... The higher the gauge, the less the voltage drop. 14AWG over the same distance only drops .2V, 12AWG would be .13V. That's too close for comfort in any case, as you found out.
Replacing a 10A fuse with a 15A fuse can also be a relatively dangerous proposition, if the wiring gauge is unknown. If it is 16AWG or even 18AWG, you're ok, as both are rated over 15A. Anything less than that, and you're taking the risk of heating up the wiring to the point of potentially melting the insulation.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts

2x60W=120w

Also be aware its normal for automotive fuses to have a +/- 5% tolerance in the rating.

I would suggest that you need to incorperate a pair of relays (one for low beam and one for high) and a new fused power feed to your headlights using appropriate rated automotive wire.

Hear is a diagram from http://www.traxide.com.au

I notice he has change over relays that have terminals 87 and 87A, you could just use dual output relays which have 2 x terminals marked 87 and use one terminal to each of the headlights instead and save the cost and space of 2 extra relays.

I would encourage you to take a look at this http://www.traxide.com.au/HL_info.html for some decent info.

I also have no affiliation whith this company though I am a satisfied customer.
Using four relays instead of two seems like overkill to me. First, I would keep the load the same for both fuses (hi/lo beams) and use the 87a for the hi beam and 87 for the low beam. The source for both coils would be the low beam circuit from the original plug. I like the idea of having both relays energized during normal riding as any unusual jarring of the bike could be enough of a shock to temporarily open the NC contact in the relays.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts