Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Without getting into a big discussion on safety, i'm kinda old-school (heck, i wish the engine was still kickstart) and want to be able to control my headlight...

Do any of you know a way to defeat the daytime running lights on our 900s? I'd REALLY like to turn it off in the day and on at night.

·
Premium Member
12,013 Posts
Without getting into a big discussion on safety, i'm kinda old-school (heck, i wish the engine was still kickstart) and want to be able to control my headlight...

Do any of you know a way to defeat the daytime running lights on our 900s? I'd REALLY like to turn it off in the day and on at night.
Pretty sure it is law that motorcycles have to have the headlight on day or night. You will get stopped if you turn them off.

http://home.ama-cycle.org/amaccess/laws/result.asp?state=MN

·
Registered
657 Posts
The only way I can think of would be to cut the wire going to either the high or low beam and indtsll s toggel switch in line and find a place to mount it, but it is correct that having a headlamp on during the day is a requirement by law. Not to make the discussion long, I'm not quite sure why you want to turn it off anyway...

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Can't speak for the othern 49 states, but here in Tennessee it is indeed a law that all motorcycles and or scooters have running lights at all times while on the roads. I imagine it is most likely so in most states, hence why they have them wired so they come on when you turn the key on.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Dang.
Good information, thanks guys... i knew there was a reason i wanted to stay in Phoenix. : )

I have a hard time with "forced" safety laws... seatbelts, helmets, daytime running lights, etc.

Whether it's good to use them or not (or me using them) is a moot point with me... i don't like laws forcing us to use them. Freedom of choice, dude.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Freedom of choice to get ticketed or not dude! ha ha
At first I thought you meant the front turn signals doubling as running lights.
In my opinion it is safer with the headlight on then off as a matter of fact I also installed a lightbar on my bike so I can be seen better. I still have cages pulling out in front of me.
But then I live in the good ole' police state of NJ.

Tom

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Dang.
Good information, thanks guys... i knew there was a reason i wanted to stay in Phoenix. : )

I have a hard time with "forced" safety laws... seatbelts, helmets, daytime running lights, etc.

Whether it's good to use them or not (or me using them) is a moot point with me... i don't like laws forcing us to use them. Freedom of choice, dude.
I can say this for wearing a helmet... used to feel like you on this one until one day on my way home from work on my old Goldwing. I was in a semi truck lot behind a Hardees getting ready to go left on a 4 lane in afternoon traffic... traffic cleared, and I had just started to release the clutch when out of the corner of my eye I saw a blue blur coming out of the wrong way from Hardee's that wasn't going to stop... I got hard on the brakes, and when I put my foot down... on the left hand side (which was the way the bike was leaning) my foot landed on top of a smashed soda can... foot slipped, and by the time I could get it back up to where I might be able to keep the bike from falling... the foot peg landed square on the middle of my foot... foot was stuck and bike going over... my head hit square on a really pointed rock on the asphalt (put a huge dent in the helmet)... if it had not been for the helmet laws here in TN I may have been without a helmet... and in that case it would have been lights out and most likely not sitting here typing this story. I am now a very firm believer in wearing a helmet... even when in states it is not required.

As to the headlight burning... I'm never in front of my bike while riding to even know it's on... and it is to my benefit for it to be on.

I'm not one of those guys that wear all the saftey clothing... in fact I usually ride in a sleeveless T-Shirt and loose Jeans with a half helmet. Old School does not mean a person has to be care less... have too many friends laying in their final resting points that felt they had to ride care free and care less... I learned my lessons from them.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Well...here we go...

I wear a helmet and have running lights 4 ways around, not because they're required, but because it makes good sense and I choose to. You always have a choice, but must always accept what comes with that choice. I too do not overload with safety gear, but the helmet and being seen are IMHO goods things to have. Sometimes the choices we make affect our families such as a spouse, children, etc... I do it for them just as much as for me because they want me around for a long time and I want to be here a long time. It's that simple!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don't like being told what to do either. However, I am a firm believer in being seen. One of my next purcases will be some running lights. As far as helmets, back in the late 70's early 80's iI was up in Maine riding without a helmwt doing about 85-90. I saw the June bug when it was about an inch away from my left eye. Luckily I had on a good pair of sunglasses and the damn thing still almost took me off the bike. I promptly pulled over and put my full face helmet back on and that's the only kind of helmet I will wear to this day.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I just installed a Kisan SV-3 Signal Minder which automatically trurns off the signals (a feature found on HD's and some other high end bikes). There's a feature that when you put on your brakes (such as at a signal light) it delays turning off the blinkers until you release the brakes. It also turns all four turn singal lights into running lights (front and rear). It costs just ove $100 and is really easy to install. You can even set it up to where the signals will modulate twice when putting on the brakes. I've ordered red lenses for the rear just to keep things Kosher here in California. This thing rocks!!!:D

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I just installed a Kisan SV-3 Signal Minder which automatically trurns off the signals (a feature found on HD's and some other high end bikes). There's a feature that when you put on your brakes (such as at a signal light) it delays turning off the blinkers until you release the brakes. It also turns all four turn singal lights into running lights (front and rear). It costs just ove $100 and is really easy to install. You can even set it up to where the signals will modulate twice when putting on the brakes. I've ordered red lenses for the rear just to keep things Kosher here in California. This thing rocks!!!:D
Kewl sounding set up... last couple of bike including my Nomad have turn signal canceling... I love it... but I have issues with turn signals now when riding a bike with out it ;) wish they'd make it standard equipment option on all new bikes.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have self canceling turn signals.............they are called hand signals..I never forget to turn em off lol.........No, just kidding.
I agree that signal canceling should be standard equipment on all street legal motorcycles.
Nothing worse, in my opinion, than having someone turn in front of you because they 'think' your gonna turn.
My $.02

Tom

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nothing worse, in my opinion, than having someone turn in front of you because they 'think' your gonna turn.
Yeah, i don't like that either... or feeling like a snow bird when two miles down the road i see the signals are still flashing. That's why i take them off the bike and just use hand signals. LOL, told ya's i was old school.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Hand signals work great, especially when most people driving have no idea why you keep waving your hands around.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts

Helek 52,
Try the dual sport forums, it's one of the first mods they ALL do. Dual sport/dirt bikes have very small batteries and suspect charging systems, the energy required to keep the headlight going while your starting the bike routinely kills the battery if the bike hesitates to start. It's very easy.
Everyone else:
The man asked a question, he wasn't into a safety debate.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@ silenthill - Thanks much for the straight answer. I appreciate it. MN sorta answered my question though with his link showing me that since i'm currently a Minnesotan, it's illegal for me to operate a bike without a light here. Oh well....
But again, thanks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts