Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was a great day so we decided to get some riding in. I had an invite to a local poker run, but declined. Most of the poker runs around here are nothing more than bar hopping for the afternoon, get a little drunker at each bar and at the end of the run drink more beer. They cover about 90 miles with more emphasis on drinking rather than riding. I rarely drink and there's no way I'm driving a bike after drinking so we opted for a day of riding. Me, my wife, my oldest son, his girlfriend, and his best friend from school headed out and did about 300 miles on back roads. Beautiful day, around 90 with no wind and great scenery as well. Didn't get alot of pics but here's what I got-

The group- (left to right) Jimmy(my oldest son)and his girlfriend Paige, my wife Kim, and Nathan on his '06 Vulcan 900

Jimmy and Nathan hamming it up, they've been best friends since kindergarten.

Jimmy clowning around on his '82 V45 Sabre

My wife and I kickin' back on my '07 VN900

Random observations. The Vulcan 900 is a great bike. While we did mainly backroads, we did hit the super-slab for about an hour. It did everything very well, even holding 80 on the slab was very comfortable. The kawi gell seat is the best add on so far, no numb butt, just a comfy cruise. The stock Dunlop tires wear quickly, mainly the rear. I bought the bike new on April 8th of this year, just turned over 4200 miles and the rear tire is almost shot, no burn outs, no abuse, just lots of riding. I think I may change over to forward controls or add hiway pegs, I just can't stretch out like I'd like to.

Waving. I've read all over the web about waving at other bikers, this group waves, this one doesn't and so on. There was alot of bikes out today, cruisers, Harley's, sport bikes, touring, etc., I'd say a solid 90% of them waved, reguardless of what anyone was riding. The remaining 10% was an even mix of all types of bikes.

We had a great time and are looking forward to the next one!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sound like a good day, thanks for sharing the pics.

My day adventure started by picking up my bike after the dealer did the 600 mile check up and rode it for 50 or 60 miles and i noticed the suspension was not nearly as stiff as it was before I dropped it off (I'm about the size of your son's friend so I need stiff suspension) and by time I got home my butt was sore. About three hours after I got home I was working on the bike and had a kidney stone attack! went to the hospital for several hours, got drugs for pain and came back home. Woke up at 2 in the after noon (those drugs really work!). Later in the afternoon decided to run into town and on the way back decided to stay on the highway, passing up my turn off, and finally went to the the local tavern/ burger place that is the place to ride to to get a bite. I've tried a couple time to make it out there but being a new rider (only been riding three weeks) I was nervous of highway speeds at first, then the strong wind that came up when riding near the top of the ridges, and it always looked like it was raining over there and didn't wan tot get caught in it. Well I just went for it today and that burger tasted wonderful! There was only one car in the lot but seven bikes.

On the whole, I would have much rather had your Day trip!!

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After debaffling today I was itching for a ride so my wife and I saddled up for a little cruise. The little cruise turned into a 110 miles ride, lol. We've had a lot of rain so we headed thru some areas that are prone to flooding, didn't see much flooding and we ended up at Milford Lake, the largest lake in Kansas. It was waaaay up, so far up in fact that the town we stopped in has shut down the boat launch area because it's under water. Here's some pics-

Down by the 2 trees and light poles is usually where they launch boats from, kinda tough to get to now.

Normally you can drive down to the trees in the background.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts