Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kid went "wheels up" to Afganistan Sunday with 3rd Special Forces. She's 19, a PFC E-3 with one year in. Prowd & scared but more the former. Talked to her alot last couple days, admin sh*t, when are we getting her car, bank account info, the old Yamaha got sta-bil in it and on trickle charge, cell phone suspention, blah blah blah...
I was all business with her on the phone, just said good buy like I allways do sive she joined up, "Love ya, Kiddo. Be safe"....
I hit one last post on her facebook page a little while after...
"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great ...enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt
Me to her: Be safe, do the job, pay attention to the little things, action beats inaction... all I got kiddo. You got the ball. Good Hunting. Been on the other side of this more times than I care to remember. Little different this time. Every formerly broken bone in my body wants to take her place. But I have been there and done that. Probably why I'm taking it hard. Questioning myself if I gave her enough along the way. I can probably look at her and know the answer to that, but not at the moment.

She is supposed to be at HQ-HHC S2 shop as inell, but she volenteered and train on the FET's
http://www.military.com/news/article/spec-ops-needs-a-few-good-women.html]Spec Ops Needs a Few Good Women
but she dids conferm that there is a load of shooting and blowing up stuff in the training for a NON-Combatant role. She Freaking Loves it.
Got a call tonite from the JSOC staging area...

I'm aweful certain it's all my fault, me at her age:

Lil shit is 5th generation Army, 2nd Gen Special Ops. Grew up around Paratroopers, Rangers, Snipers, Green Berets and later SWAT guys. Probably why she can drink like a fish and swears 'nuff to make a sailor blush. The character trait that I'm most prowd of is she understands WHY to fight, not just the how part...

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,906 Posts
I'm trying to figure out what to say after reading this. And yes, I read the entire thing, even the "Spec Ops Needs a Few Good Women" link.

I was never in the military and can not fathom what it must be like. (I know better than to make my judgement based off "war movies".)

I think I would have cried after she left....

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Wow, thank you and your whole family for their service to our freedom! I served 4.5 years in the Coast Guard (eye sight was too bad for regular military) and 7 years Air Force Reserves (after Lasik eye surgery) never been in a theater. Understand the anxiety of going there. God be with her, and thanks again for your and her service.

·
Registered
894 Posts
God Speed to her - Pass along the thanks for her service and her dedication to her Service. You raised a godd one!

·
Megatron
181 Posts
Godspeed to your daughter. Thank you and your family for all the sacrifice for the freedom our country enjoys. If more people in this country were like you the world would be a much better place.

·
V2K Rogue Wrangler
1,112 Posts
Sing along with me...

O! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
Between their loved home and the war’s desolation.
Blest with vict’ry and peace, may the Heav’n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation!
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: “In God is our trust;”
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O’er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

Amen.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Since I got a couple PM's from you guys & Soldiers LOVE Mail here's her APO address:

Nicole Persing

Unit 3-C

APO AE 09354

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Hi, Fazer:

I am a USO volunteer at the joint Air Force Army base up here. Mostly work deployments. I love serving our troops. It is emotional to hand them a care package as they head out the door onto the tarmac and board an aircraft for foreign lands.

If you are a person of faith like I am, then there is always comfort knowing God knows everywhere we go before we get there and He has our back 24/7. Pray and ask for prayer for your daughter and ask for God to lift your worry, and it will be gone.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Using Facebook (of all things) the kids in 3rd SF are able to send short messages home. Some brilliant 18E (SF Commo SGT's) were able to use field equipment to post online, on mission. So far it's been pretty cool, wish I had that when I was in.

This message from her was not so great.

3 opperators from 3rd SF Group (Airborne), one who just yesterday slapped an SF Combat Patch on her in the field, were killed in action. She seemed first upset them quickly graduated to pissed off and focused.

"We ain't making no goddamn cornflakes here."
- Col. Charlie Beckwith, founder of Delta Force

·
Registered
228 Posts
a lot for a father to go through. Thank you to your daughter for what she's doing. I spent 14 yrs in the air force, deployed to desert storm for 3 months. I know it's not the easiest time, but I do thank her for her service!

THANK YOU!

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Being in harm's way yourself makes it all the more difficult to send your child off to do the same. I'm sure your strong support is a firm hand-hold to her as she makes her way along the path that lies ahead.

My thanks to you both for the service you have and are providing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts