Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and didn't come up with anything but anyway, I have a 2011 Voyager with a dash that vibrates and rattles when you get on the throttle. Idle is good but soon as you twist the throttle and RPM's pick up the dash rattles for a few seconds. Any ideas. I'm thinking about pulling the dash apart and maybe put some narrow weather stripping inside it. All screws are tight.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I did a search and didn't come up with anything but anyway, I have a 2011 Voyager with a dash that vibrates and rattles when you get on the throttle. Idle is good but soon as you twist the throttle and RPM's pick up the dash rattles for a few seconds. Any ideas. I'm thinking about pulling the dash apart and maybe put some narrow weather stripping inside it. All screws are tight.
Chech the trim ring around the key hole. That is where mine was, 3,000 rpm's and you could hear it over the radio. When you hear the rattle put you hand on that ring. If it stops there it is.
My fix, took the ring out, ran a thin bead of silicone and let it dry over night and then re installed. It's been quiet since.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Rattle

Chech the trim ring around the key hole. That is where mine was, 3,000 rpm's and you could hear it over the radio. When you hear the rattle put you hand on that ring. If it stops there it is.
My fix, took the ring out, ran a thin bead of silicone and let it dry over night and then re installed. It's been quiet since.
Ditto on that.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Speaking of the dash. Has anyone temporally been blinded by the sun reflecting off those nice shinny speaker covers, and tank bib? If so, what have you come up with to reduce, or remove the glare?

·
Registered
16 Posts
i have a 2011 vv and this is what i found with rattles windshield were it meets the fairing speaker covers gas tank bezel were it raps around the front of gas tank at the bottom this was the biggest noise i used felt tape to fix and of course the the key bezel try all this and you should be good like i said try the gas tank bezel first mine was so noisy you could hear it over the radio at 70 mph

·
Registered
481 Posts
Yep, this is exactly where mine rattled. Same fix as well.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
My rattle was the two front edges of the tank bib below the ignition switch banging on the front of the tank. two foam strips stopped it... only rattle I had... got a rattle in the back every now and t6hen but it is stuff I have in the trunk.... also after riding a Venture for 12 years, the trunk and saddle bags are larger and I can put quite a bit more "stuff" in them.

Reflection off speakers isn't bad but that tank bib... wow, thinking about getting a black one like I saw on one of the other 1700's at the dealer or sand blasting the chrome one and painting it flat black.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Tank Bib & Speaker Covers

My rattle was the two front edges of the tank bib below the ignition switch banging on the front of the tank. two foam strips stopped it... only rattle I had... got a rattle in the back every now and t6hen but it is stuff I have in the trunk.... also after riding a Venture for 12 years, the trunk and saddle bags are larger and I can put quite a bit more "stuff" in them.

Reflection off speakers isn't bad but that tank bib... wow, thinking about getting a black one like I saw on one of the other 1700's at the dealer or sand blasting the chrome one and painting it flat black.
Bubba my ole USAF and police buddy (Texas HP here). The things are darn right blinding when the sun hits it just right. I hadn't thought about using a sand blaster. If you try it let me know how it goes.
Thanks

·
Registered
83 Posts

Can you sand blast plastic??????

·
Registered
287 Posts
Just a thought as to how to remove that fake chrome from the plastic. I'm open to any other idea of an easy way to get that chrome off to paint it.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I would use 2000 grit sand paper or 00000 steel-wool. Just take the shine off it and paint it with the new plastic paint that Rustoleum has out. I also believe the "Hammered look" paint would look sharp. That's what I used on my tarnishing air box covers and it looks really good.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Speaker covers

I would use 2000 grit sand paper or 00000 steel-wool. Just take the shine off it and paint it with the new plastic paint that Rustoleum has out. I also believe the "Hammered look" paint would look sharp. That's what I used on my tarnishing air box covers and it looks really good.
Excellent idea, especially the hammer look thing. Next question; is there something special about removing those speaker covers, or do they just pop off?
Thanks

·
Registered
274 Posts
Speaking of the dash. Has anyone temporally been blinded by the sun reflecting off those nice shinny speaker covers, and tank bib? If so, what have you come up with to reduce, or remove the glare?
saw a guy with the black tank bib off a vaquero,didnt look to bad!I have the next size shorter winsheild and dont have any glare issues!

·
Registered
291 Posts
I actually painted my speaker covers satin black. The tank cover isnt an issue. The spk covers look much better now that they blend into the dash.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Remove the two screws and the other side will just hinge. Two tabs on the side toward the radio are what's holding them in place after the two screws are taken out. Good Luck and let us know how they look.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts