Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for a good dual channel DVR that I can set and forget. I know there have been threads for the Go-pro and others but if it's not set and forget....well plain and simple; I'll forget... or at least get lazy.;)

I found a model that looks like it would do the job but it's a Chinese company and it doesn't seem like they do business in the U.S.

http://ozreprap.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=55 (this link is to an AU site)

What I'm looking for is a front and rear camera with at least moderate video quality.
It needs to power on and off with the bike, have loop recording, and be waterproof.

Does anyone know of any good motorcycle dash cams?

Twice in this past week; I've had someone decide that they could find a better use for the asphalt directly in front of me and that I should find another lane of travel.
BTW, I really like my ABS brakes and my Wolo Bad Boy.

Thanks,
Scott

Attachments

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
That kit looks pretty nice. I haven't seen anything else like it and the only closest feature I've seen is on my drift cam. It will do a continuous dash-cam loop like that if it is turned on with usb power applied. It's more expensive than this kit though and only has video and audio... GPS and g-force readings aren't even an option.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That kit looks pretty nice. I haven't seen anything else like it and the only closest feature I've seen is on my drift cam. It will do a continuous dash-cam loop like that if it is turned on with usb power applied. It's more expensive than this kit though and only has video and audio... GPS and g-force readings aren't even an option.
Those drift cams look great.
I've thought about putting my HD Sony on a Ram mount just for fun.

I had a lady turn off a side road from the left coming toward me the other day. She came all the way across the road and a foot or two into the shoulder.
I hit my brakes hard and tried to read what she was going to do (and where I should go); but really just ended up braking in a straight line.
She whipped it back into her lane and I passed her on the far right of mine. But, I wouldn't mind watching the "game reel" to see if I missed an option.

Anyway, you can never tell when you're that kind of thing is going to happen. So, having a cam come on a shut off with the key is really what I'm after.

Ride Safe
Scott

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hi Scott;

That's a really interesting camcorder. Does it come with a GPS and Accelerometer to get the information shown on the ad? Or do you need to tie into your GPS and smart phone?

It will come in handy when you take a ride through OKC :).

Sorry, couldn't resist. I got a hoot out of the OKC-FTW "Best American City" back and forth. Reminded me of Mark Twain's quote; "There's liars, damn liars and statisticians." I've been to both places a few times and your "Cowtown" gets my vote.

WEG

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
That's pretty cool!

I have a Drift HD and those are great (helmet cam, though it could be mounted on the bike). Problem of course is battery life and the need to be started. The ideal is what you mentioned. On when the bike is on, always filming until it runs out of space, then it overwrites old footage. If something happens, you have footage; period.

So, if you find something; let me know! I'm kind of interested myself.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Scott;

That's a really interesting camcorder. Does it come with a GPS and Accelerometer to get the information shown on the ad? Or do you need to tie into your GPS and smart phone?

It will come in handy when you take a ride through OKC :).

Sorry, couldn't resist. I got a hoot out of the OKC-FTW "Best American City" back and forth. Reminded me of Mark Twain's quote; "There's liars, damn liars and statisticians." I've been to both places a few times and your "Cowtown" gets my vote.

WEG
It's a Chinese manufacturer; so whats really in the box might not resemble the ad.
I think the accelerometer and GPS are supposed to be part of the unit.

I've been searching for these and saw a couple of forum posts about them elsewhere.
I think a guy in the SV forums led a group buy, so I'm pretty sure they HAVE been in the U.S. market.
I saw some video posted from a guy in a U.K. forum that looked pretty decent for evidence footage.

As one guy in another forum put it "all of the technology is mature; it should be cheap and easy to put it on the market".

Scott

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's pretty cool!

I have a Drift HD and those are great (helmet cam, though it could be mounted on the bike). Problem of course is battery life and the need to be started. The ideal is what you mentioned. On when the bike is on, always filming until it runs out of space, then it overwrites old footage. If something happens, you have footage; period.

So, if you find something; let me know! I'm kind of interested myself.
Will do.
I may need to buy more than one to get my hands on em.

Scott

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Looks great. The sound quality wasn't the best but that might be helped with placement or a wind cover. The price seems reasonable as well. If it checks out and you need to do a group buy for a better price count me in.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Scott, if you wind up doing a group buy, I'd also be interested. I've been doing similar research, and you've clearly done better than I have! :-D

·
Registered
104 Posts
I would look at or google uk dash cams. don't 90% of all their vehicles including bikes have them?? might not find a page in English but I bet they will still sell to you?

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I would look at or google uk dash cams. don't 90% of all their vehicles including bikes have them?? might not find a page in English but I bet they will still sell to you?
I think you are thinking of russia. Especially if you are thinking "UK" websites won't be in english (England, seat of the UK, is where English originated!)

·
Registered
104 Posts
I think you are thinking of russia. Especially if you are thinking "UK" websites won't be in english (England, seat of the UK, is where English originated!)
yep Russia! lol long day.... I like watching their crash compilations on you tube... I think they are mandated to have em?

would need to make a mount for front but is this similar to what your looking for?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-DVR-Dash-Cam-with-LCD-2-color-cameras-/310582299143?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item485025ca07

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
yep Russia! lol long day.... I like watching their crash compilations on you tube... I think they are mandated to have em?

would need to make a mount for front but is this similar to what your looking for?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-DVR-Dash-Cam-with-LCD-2-color-cameras-/310582299143?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item485025ca07
They aren't mandated, but insurance fraud is rampant. Unsure why, maybe it's just really easy to win a lawsuit or something. But people will throw themselves onto parked cars, ram other cars, etc. for the insurance money. Dash cams are intended to protect drivers from this rampant fraud.

If you want a good laugh, check this out (and this is the REAL reason why they have dash cams)

·
Registered
104 Posts
HAHA those were pretty entertaining!!

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

It is similar and if I was putting it in my truck; it would do in a pinch.:)

With the main DVR unit being part of the front cam; it really creates a problem with mounting and exposure to the elements.
I'm not sure it's set and forget either.

I have seen a lot of them that are similar to what I want. But, haven't found a sub $800 one that checks all the ticks.

ride safe
Scott

·
Registered
104 Posts
true.. unfortunately the only option is a higher priced model prob

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have tried contacting the manufacturer and an importer without luck.

If I get in contact with them I will definitely ask on here about how many people may be interested.

Ride safe
Scott

·
Registered
98 Posts
The website that this is coming from has a notice at the bottom right that says, "SOLD OUT". Would be interested in this also!
this is in reference to the original OP posting.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts