Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to go to the darkside on my 900 classic any advise on brand of tire and size and anything else i need to know about the change

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Try looking at this Darkside thread.

If you want more, there are others scattered around that you can find by doing a forum search for "darkside".

I did a fair amount of research on this and don't regret making the change. As soon as my Spirit and Wide Glide need rear tires, i'm putting a car tire on them too.

·
Registered
49 Posts
just letting you know you may regret. i put this down as a mod i didn't like in that posting a week ago. i went with it for about 5k miles and hated it. it had a wobble at 85 and after installing the scootworks pulley and finally being able to pass trucks and be in front of them on the freeway, i did not enjoy the bike trying to kick me off. i had an altimax HP and was a thin tire and felt cheap. maybe that was the problem. but i think the tire got damaged by needing 100lbs of air in it to set the bead because when i took it off the radial sections of the tire on the inside were starting to show. 20,000 miles and saving 100 bucks isnt worth my life. put a metzler 880 on and my bike handles better than it ever did with the car tire, and guess what, no more wobble. my dad has a big tour deluxe and has almost 12000 miles on his metzler and still has another 4000 in it easy. think about the type of riding you do before you do it.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I too will advise you to do your research before you make your decission. I tried it once on my friends bike and didn't like the way it handled. I learned to ride on his bike before the swap and after that the bike handeled different. Sure you'll get used to it but I found more cons than pros. My friend is now back to a motorcycle tire.

Pros:
Longevity

Cons:
Corners different
Not stable on uneven roads
Some experienced some wobble at highway speeds
Not every bike shop will mount (that tells u a lot)

·
Registered
976 Posts

All that ever tells you is that they want to sell you a tire. I know bike shops in town that won't mount Motorcycle tires that you've bought somewhere else, period. You have Valid reasons listed but you trash your list integrity by silly comments like that.

·
Registered
711 Posts

All that ever tells you is that they want to sell you a tire. I know bike shops in town that won't mount Motorcycle tires that you've bought somewhere else, period. You have Valid reasons listed but you trash your list integrity by silly comments like that.

MrClean,
I believe you just made a fool out of yourself on this one! I tell you what, why don't you provide the names of these shops so I can call them and confirm what you stated. If what you stated is right I'll be more than happy to come back and list these names here so we don't do business with them. In my area all motorcycle shops I know will install a motorcycle tire even if you didn't buy it from them.

MrClean,
You seem to get offended every time I post my own experience with car tire on a motorcycle or the scootworks front pulley. I'm only expressing my own opinion and I always encourage everyone to do the same (good or bad). Everyone has the right to know what people are saying don't you agree? You on the other hand, if some of us don't like what you have you seem to cross a line quoting what sometimes seems non sense arguments. If you look around I've post great reviews on 95% of items I own or have tried and if I haven't had any experience I don't comment at all. You believe everything you like everyone should and let me tell you it just doesn't work that way. At times you also seem to believe you know it all, let me tell you that while you do have your good share of knowledge you are not always right. Best thing to do in this case is if you don't agree just add me/us to your ignore list wouldn't you agree?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Advantage Power Sports and Freedom cycles in KC wouldn't mount other peoples tires when last I called upon them in the fall of 2007. Liberty Cycle Center would but it cost more, 50 instead of 30 bucks. LCC didn't mount car tires initially even though I asked, then I had a buddy with a V2K ask them because he had ridden one at Spring Fling with the tire on it and they finally capitulated. I found out and asked if they would do mine. They agreed and I paid them the money (50 bucks again) and now if you sign a waiver with them absolving them they will mount the tire for you. The other guys wouldn't the last I checked. Having been in the Car Tire debate for about 3 years now we have conversed with plenty of folks that are looking for places to mount the car tires. Usually Wing shops will mount them as Wing riders use the CT more than most others. Harley rim's until recently were 3.5 inches and thusely too tight for most tires offered though one of the guys on the Delphi Darkside forum grew up running car tires on both ends of the bike. That's ALL he could get in the small Montana town he grew up in. Wasn't the nicest handling thing in the world but it got him too and from school and work. Anyways, with all the looking for places to mount CT's I've also talked to plenty of other folks that can't get tires purchased online mounted at the local shops. If you go to Beartooth Kawasaki's forum and do a search you may be able to pull up a couple threads titled 'Can't get a web purchased tired installed at shop'. It is a more revisited subject, not as volatile as Oil or helmet threads but re-occurent. Perhaps in your corner of the world they are more enlightened but plenty of other places are not such.

Now, the reasons they quote is they don't want to be held liable for a product they didn't supply. Same as the waiver I had to sign for the CT. In reality, they are struggling and instead of doing any and all work that they can get in the door they try to maximize all profit that they can on the work the DO have in the door. Seems a silly way to do business and after hurting long enough I believe that is why LCC has gone ahead and done these car tires for us.

Hope that's enough names of Kansas City Area shops for you. I have a riding group that I ride with, the harley and wing guys could probably list off their main dealer and independant shops as well. In KC it is not un-common. I did have one car tire seller who put tires on other peoples bikes change their mind and stop the practice. That would be 12th street tire in liberty, mo.

For the rest of your quote, I am hyper sensitive on the CT and Pulley questions. For about 3 years with both of them I've dealt with a bunch of naysayers that had no experience with either or planned too. They meerly just quote 'You'll bust your A$$' and go merrily down the road. Some have tried to get the state legislatures to outlaw the practice. Some states do not allow car tires on bikes which makes models of Boss Hogg and other bikes illegal in those states as they came with car tires on them. I'm all ears for folks that have had problems and I definitely don't want folks riding on a tire they don't feel comfortable on. If there is a problem and I haven't experienced it I want to see why the problem exists and if there is a fix. High speed wobble is normally a lose neck bearing and has been the fix twice this year on the Darkside forum. It's been the fix once this year on the Delphi Vulcan forum but that was a Nomad with standard tires.

As for the Pulley when I went and put it on my bike there was a group of people that had bad experience with Scoots and not only wouldn't do business with them they didn't want anyone else doing business with them. Instead of stating that they made up stuff about them or bad talked them. Also they were good about saying that 'Kawasaki researched all the gearing on that bike, what do YOU know they don't' One of these guys was running European gears in his V2K instead of the American ones, essentially doing the same as we're doing with the front pulley. He didn't like Scootworks.

I have no problem with the first three points you made con against the tire. These are your observations and possibly a fixable problem, (please take a look at that neck bearing). The forth is a groundless conjecture. The bike shops wouldn't put guacamole on your bike seat (that tells you alot) makes as much sense. [ok it IS silly, but it's just as much proof although why YOU want guacamole on your bike seat I don't know]

Lastly, we're having this conversation on the internet and what I type here can come over to you with much more force than intended. That last point was silly and ruins the rest of your argument. There were 20 some reasons we went to war with Iraq. Many of them sanction violations. The only one people remember and talk about are WMD's. See how that works? Not to open that can of worms. But if we were sitting around at the bar, a barbecue or the campfire and I pointed out your last observation was silly and didn't immediately follow up with why, you'd ask why and I'd explain and I doubt there would be any ruffled feathers.

I do have a background with this two issues. I keep my head up on them MOSTLY because if there is a problem that IS directly related to and has no other reason THAN them I need to know, because it IS my butt that will get broken. But if there is some belt noise or the ride isn't as smooth or it tracks cracks or wobbles or you can't get a hold of the guys to return a product? Well these are not necessarily problems with the mod but are individual problems that can be fixed and are just pointed out by the mod.

Before the scootworks mod I found and read, that Kaw puts the belts on much MUCH too tight. Mine squeaked from day one (two actually, it was raining so hard on day one I didn't notice it) I got rid of the squeak pretty quickly and it was a too tight/ mal-aligned belt. That was stock.

I have no mental history, nor axe to grind, with you that I know of. just probably came out that way. Sorry bout that, was not intended.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts