Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a General Altimax HP 195/55/16 installed on my '12 Vaquero yesterday. 200 miles so far and I'm likin it a lot. I was only getting 5-6k out of a Bridgestone, and had even worse luck with Dunlop on my old 900. I rode 15k last year and am on a pace to break 20k this year. And...I'll be retiring in the next year or so, so my miles logged is only gonna go up. I researched long and hard on the net and got some really good input on here. (specifically diehard rider) My riding buddy runs a ct on his Goldwing and he's had nothing but great results. My analysis is this: my bike handles exactly the same as with a Bridgestone Excedra. However, it does feel a little different. Almost as if the rear is slightly under-inflated. It's a smoother ride and as I learned to trust it more yesterday, I was scrapin my floorboards on both sides. I rode some my of local twisties and it handled great for me. In closing, it's gonna work for me. I would certainly recommend tryin it to an experienced rider who logs the miles. The price difference is a no-brainer and the hassle of putting tires on your sled 3 or 4 times a year is no longer an issue. Be safe out there, Dan

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
I went darkside about a month ago and now have about 1500 miles on it. Took my a little longer to adjust than it did you, but am good now. I went with a OHTSU FP6000, in a 205/60/16 on my Voyager. Started out at 46lbs. After 2 days I dropped it to 43lbs, big mistake, felt like a flat tire then. Upped it to 50lbs, then a few days later dropped it to 47lbs and thats were I think I'll keep it, 51lbs is max on sidewall. This is the tire I got at Discount tire online.
http://www.discounttire.com/infoohtsufp6000as/ohtsufp6000as.html

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
I went to a CT earlier this year. I have a couple thousand miles on it now. My conclusion: I'll never go back to an Mc tire! I'm looking to double darkside when my front needs a replacement as well. Like you said... lots of research and seat time for me to before I was conviced.

The biggest thing I tell people with handling is: 1) it feels "different" (not worse) heading into corners, and 2) the bike feels "different" (not worse) on heavily pitched roads. I ride a lot of back roads that are 1 lane and are pitched for water runoff. The bike feels like it wants to lean while riding straight, and feels like it requires more effort to keep it up. It's a minor adjustment that you get used to... definitely a good tradeoff for longevity and braking contact!

·
Registered
213 Posts
my 900 is the 2nd bike I've gone dark side with. Switched it over to the same General Altimax tire, though a slightly different size to suite my bike. I definitely like the longer wear life, especially sine my stock Dunlop only lasted a little over 5,000 miles.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I put 35,000 on my V2K with a Goodyear Triple Tread and it still had lots of tread left.
I just put a Goodyear Assurance all season on my Voyager 205 60 16, have plenty of room, not rubbing anything. I'm sure I will like it just as well.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Where are you guys getting your car tires mounted? I spoke with two shops and they both said they would not mount due to liability issues...

·
Registered
292 Posts
Where are you guys getting your car tires mounted? I spoke with two shops and they both said they would not mount due to liability issues...
Usually if you remove wheel and take your CT and wheel to an independent shop they'll mount it. Increase your odds by buying your CT from that independent shop. Always good to help the mom and pops. Used tire stores are a good source for mounting as well.

·
Registered
186 Posts
[QUOTE My conclusion: I'll never go back to an Mc tire!

The biggest thing I tell people with handling is: 1) it feels "different" (not worse) heading into corners, and 2) the bike feels "different" (not worse) on heavily pitched roads. It's a minor adjustment that you get used to... definitely a good tradeoff for longevity and braking contact![/QUOTE]

That sums it up.
When mounted. 1410916304540.jpg
10,345 miles later.
1410916362429.jpg
And a pic of my Avon Cobra with 10,345 miles.
1410916477439.jpg

·
Registered
40 Posts
The first one I had put on my V2K was done at the local Kawasaki dealer. He said he had no problem putting it on for me.
The one I have on my Voyager now, was put on at a local tire shop. I bought the tire there and they actually said they could mount it without me even asking.

·
Registered
81 Posts
All 3 major shops and dealerships would not mount the CT for me. I ended up going to a small bike mechanic to have it done. There is a darkside forum page that lists shops for different areas that have installed CTs for people in the past... As well as recommendations and comments for those shops. If I can find the link I'll post it later

·
Registered
114 Posts
Here is the installer list link that lownoma99 mentioned http://darkside.nwff.info/?p=installersList

I'm on my second General Altimax HP 205/60/16 . Got a little over 18k out of the 1st one and it wore out the center of the tire ,my fault for running to much air pressure.
This is on a 07 Vulcan 2000 LT.
I'm a big guy at 300 lbs wife will go about 150lbs and we pull a pop up tent camper behind the bike a lot so even if 18k is the best we get out of this one I'm still thrilled to death.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I went darkside about a month ago and now have about 1500 miles on it. Took my a little longer to adjust than it did you, but am good now. I went with a OHTSU FP6000, in a 205/60/16 on my Voyager. Started out at 46lbs. After 2 days I dropped it to 43lbs, big mistake, felt like a flat tire then. Upped it to 50lbs, then a few days later dropped it to 47lbs and thats were I think I'll keep it, 51lbs is max on sidewall.
001.jpg

Just curious about the tire pressures you're running. 225/60 on my V2K at any pressure above 35 psi feels like the rear is slipping out in a corner and has a very noticeable transition point. My 250 lb butt and 100 lbs of gear and I run 30 to 32 psi and bike handles great. Lower pressure also gives me a larger tire contact patch in the corners. 6000 miles on it and it still looks new.

·
Registered
779 Posts
On tires like the Tripple Tread I run around 32.
On tires like the G Max & Altimax I run 38.

JJ

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
I'm at 36lbs now. I have 7k miles on it and checked tread depth this morning and I've got 6/32 in deepest portion of the tread and 4/32 at the wear bars. Looks like I'll getless than 20k on it, but its a 35k mile tire. wear seems to be pretty even across the tread, and always ride 2up at around 425 combined.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I ran my last Altimax at 28-30 and got 18k before the center of the tread was wore out with plenty left on the outer 1.5" edge of the tire. I chalked it up to to much air. I did try 24-26 in the last tire and it felt sloppy like running a car on a flat.
The new tire another Altimax is at 24 right now and feels great. I have no idea why the difference but I like it.
My wife had two neck surgery's at the beginning of this year and cant ride for 1 year so I have no idea how it will feel two up but for just me 24 is great .
Edited to say...
After I wrote this I got to thinking that didn't sound right so today I checked and its at 26 not 24 my bad.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I went Darkside on my Honda Shadow VT1100. Put 10000 miles on it with no sign of wear. I found no handling degradation and the rear brake actually took more pressure to make it skid. Larger contact patch means more traction. As soon as my 2015 Custom LT 900 need it I will go Darkside with it. 195/70R15 with a "radial" tube. You cannot use a bias ply tube in a radial tire because the radial tire has a lot more sidewall flex and the bias tube will wear inside. Came with Dunlop 404s. All my bikes came from factory with them and they suck. For more info. http://mcdarksiders.forumotion.com/

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have a Bridgestone Turanza, 195-60-16 on '05 Nomad and it's working great.
Ran 36-37 psi for about 500 miles and now run 34psi.
First thing I notices was that it wanted to go straight and it took a little more effort to lean to switch lanes or turn.
We live a mile off of the pavement on a gravel road and I think the CT is more stable on the gravel and on uneven pavement.
I'm not a very aggressive rider and now at over 1500 miles on it and barely notice any difference any more.

·
Registered
74 Posts
my 900 is the 2nd bike I've gone dark side with. Switched it over to the same General Altimax tire, though a slightly different size to suite my bike. I definitely like the longer wear life, especially sine my stock Dunlop only lasted a little over 5,000 miles.
What size did you go with on your 900. I'm wanting to do the same on mine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts