Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had some bad rut tracking issues with my 225/60R16 at 32#. I lowered it to 28# and it's better, rides better, but something still isn't quite right. Would a cupped stock front cause a really harsh/sharp ride in the front end, and track ruts like crazy? I think the rear is OK now, but the front is horrid. The ride is really sharp and jarring, and makes throttle control very difficult on rough pavement, to say nothing of maneuvering.

Oh, and the front tire cupped in 2k miles running at 41 PSI.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Same here.......Not running dark side but i have same issues right now......I have been fooling with air pressure trying 2 improve a bit......Is a pain......:)

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
slidding around on a pile of pooh!

odd noise is the whirring from the cupping on the crappy front tire.
op, you'r riding on shiddey brickstones, watcha 'spect? just cause kaw puts them stock tires they still is pooh. pooh riding, pooh handling, sliding around like on a pile pooh stinkin' tires. youz needs to rid of them asap.. if not sooner! get yer some metz and see fer yerself what a diff a real tire will make of that beasty skooter.

·
Registered
305 Posts
op, you'r riding on shiddey brickstones, watcha 'spect? just cause kaw puts them stock tires they still is pooh. pooh riding, pooh handling, sliding around like on a pile pooh stinkin' tires. youz needs to rid of them asap.. if not sooner! get yer some metz and see fer yerself what a diff a real tire will make of that beasty skooter.
Wow, now I know what you guys mean by cupping. How many miles was that on the Brickstone? How many on that front Metz? Thanks for the pics Ponch.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
bearskins

Wow, now I know what you guys mean by cupping. How many miles was that on the Brickstone? How many on that front Metz? Thanks for the pics Ponch.
bigMac, shed the brik at 10k. the metz in the pic is 13k with several more k's left in her. I picked up two sets of tires on sale for this big beasty bear last month. two 240's and two 150's for 6 c notes. So I have a lot of riding to do. best I get buzy, huh? out, ponchetrain

·
Registered
319 Posts
cupping

cupping is cause by two main things, cheap tires and crappy suspension. The V2K has both. Get rid of the front tire and get a decent one, watch your front air pressure, low air causes this too . Two, up the front fork oil weight. I use 25 weight and it works great. All motorcycles cup to an extent. The main problem is because of the width of tires and the pogo effect of the suspension. Another reason is, unlike cars, we don't rotate our tires.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Grin and Bear it

unlike cars, we don't rotate our tires.
gi, I rotate mine.. forward for lots of k smiles.:) then to the recycle bin.:D but you knew that was coming, right? out, ponch

·
Registered
319 Posts
Tire

There you there Ponch. This winter I'm tearing the front forks down and installing Gold Valve Emulators. They are supposed to smooth the ride out. We''ll aee, those things are not cheap, but what do you do. I heard that Progressive is looking for a V2K to refit one of the 485 shocks tp the V2k and the donor gets a free shock. Hopefully that pans out

·
Registered
319 Posts
oil plugs

Technically, ther are no oil drain plugs. I just take my forks off, tip them upside down and let them drain for about 30 min to get all the oil out

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Technically, ther are no oil drain plugs. I just take my forks off, tip them upside down and let them drain for about 30 min to get all the oil out
gi, is there any recommended oil thinner flush product for this job?

Also, might there be? or, if not could one be machined, a drain plug tap recessed in/above the front axle holes of the fork sliders? hidden of course from view when the axles are in place.
I would think this would be an appropriate place to have/hide drain plugs.?
but then again, if you have to loosen your triple clamps to get access to the fork caps, you might just as well pull them off and tip them anyway.?
oh, thats right! these stock forks come with FAT LADY leg skirts! lots of stuff to take off. like undressing an oversize... never mind. sheesh!
I stripped mine down to those perty 49mm bones and let this lady show off some leg.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Don't the forks just slide out from under the chrome covers? In the svc manual it looks like all you have to do is pull the bars, take off the nacelle, loosen the top clamps, take off the caps and such, then loosen the lower clamp bolts and pull them out?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Forks

What I do to save time is to release the fork caps while they are installed. Very easy to do, really easy with two people. Take the spacer and spring out. Then loosen the clamps and remove. Taking the caps off after the forks are out is a PITA. I'll find my notes to see how much more oil I put in, I think it was around 10cc, just a little to stiffen the rebound

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Whoever at Kaw decided that holding the cap in the fork with a snap ring under heavy spring pressure is an idiot and should be shot. What's wrong with the thread on kind like Honda uses?

Other than that, the fork oil change went more or less OK. The damn allen heads on a couple of the screws holding the black metal ring on the front of the nacelle (that the headlight mounts to) stripped and had to be drilled out. Other than that, pretty routine. I used a large syringe to meter in the oil. It seems to ride better in front now.

·
Registered
319 Posts
fork

Whoever at Kaw decided that holding the cap in the fork with a snap ring under heavy spring pressure is an idiot and should be shot. What's wrong with the thread on kind like Honda uses?

Other than that, the fork oil change went more or less OK. The damn allen heads on a couple of the screws holding the black metal ring on the front of the nacelle (that the headlight mounts to) stripped and had to be drilled out. Other than that, pretty routine. I used a large syringe to meter in the oil. It seems to ride better in front now.
Try doing this after a few "soda pops". The little sap ring went air flying on me. Took me and the wife amost an hour to find it

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
That's bean counters at their finest, driving the design to cost targets.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts