Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to do the conversion this winter and was trying to decide on the tire I wanted to go with. From all the research it looks like all the conversions I can find have gone with the General Altimax HP size 195/65-15.

So, I was curious how the traction of the Altimax was on gravel. And if its not the best then what is?

Thanks,
James

·
Registered
56 Posts
What's this gravel you speak ok? Just picking! I live in suburbia, and I very rarely come across any gravel. I hope someone here can help you out!

·
Registered
424 Posts
I run on the DARKSIDE, in my opnion there is no tire that gives traction in gravel or sand other than Knobbies, and they are baaaaaddddd on the road.

Now however some good news, CT's have a wider and flatter footprint which does allow you to roll better in gravel and sand, wider flat footprint, helps you not sink in so bad.

Traction on gravel, no such thing.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
You'll have more problem with our skinny front tire in dirt (gravel) than you will running the Altimax. I haven't experienced any particular problem running on non-paved roads.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I'm not looking for Dual Sport or Dirt Bike performance I'm just trying to make it a little more civilized of a ride since I live 2 miles off the pavement. As for the skin front tire it will be going away at the same time. Just trying to figure out if I want to go to the 90/90 or the 120/70.

The conversion should be fun and I hear they have cookies on the Darkside.

·
Registered
73 Posts
So, has anyone gone CT on both tires? I had a 1946 Harley that had CT style tires on front and rear. They were superior riding on gravel and dirt roads. I'm not one to drag the foot boards in turns.......

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
976 Posts
The downside of Darkside in gravel is the front tire. I found it easier to get around with the CT on gravel and missed it last month on my way to Oshkosh when I had to drag my trailer over about 5 miles of gravel to get to my first destination on the way to Oshkosh.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts