Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about going to the darkside. Does anyone have any pics of a Custom that has went to the darkside? I have looked around and can not find any. Thanks

Tim

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did use the "Search" function. It did not show that thread. Guess im just not as smart as you Helek 52 . It is people like you that makes us new people not want to ask question.

Tim

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
!!! I gave you a thread with pictures in, for crying out loud!

Go put your big boy pants on and learn to take a friendly poke without crying about it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey guys. I've been reading several forums and sites on the ''darkside" issue. I have a 2010 Vulcan 1700 Voyager and decided to try it. Bought the Altamax and the tire shop mounted it for me, the shop owner ended up using his expertise to get it to bead. The young guys were scared as hell, they looked at me like I was a freak escaped from the circus train!
So far so good. There is not much difference in handling except in parking lot speeds, you have to be firm in manuevering it as it wants to sit up. To be fair, I haven't put enough miles on yet to get a complete experience, so I'll post as I ride and let you know how it progresses.

Attachments

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Oldturer. When you get some more miles keep me updated. I think I am going to wait untill next riding season to replace my tire. I hate to put a new tire on just for it to site in the garage over the winter.

Tim

·
Registered
46 Posts
WOW, an update I didn't intend to post. I just removed the tire...had a flat in the 'bottoms' [the delta/flood area of the Mississippi River in W. TN.] This is the second flat in a week while in the bottoms. What kind of luck can you call that? geezz! Well, I just removed it agan and took it back to the tire store. The owner dug a rivet head out of the sidewall. It was well above road contact area. He was baffled as I was. We decided it was made in the tire, no way did I run over anything nor, could it be injected as it was in the tire. It was sticking out at both ends, but no marks of entry; only that it was being forced out of the side by the air pressure. He is making it good and ordered me a new tire. General will eat this one.
At any rate, if I go back to the bottoms; I'll buy me a pogo stick..later.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I went to the darkside after the 200 Avon rubbed on the swing arm. I had 14,000 on it & looked like new. I got to where I was running 30 lbs for best ride & handling. Wish I would have got to ride it with the me880 on the front with it, had waiting to go on till bike was wrecked. Friend got the 880 tire on his bike yesterday so might get on it to see how it handles but it won,t be the same as my bike with all the upgrades I had to it including the darkside. I miss my bike dam it was running & handled so good. Somebody do a burn out for me, I only did one on that tire.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
I'm still a little perplexed how a flat bottom tire corners like a rounded tire ... its gotta effect the handling. While the mileage gained would be a bonus, i could see novices get themselves into trouble.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
For the record. i thought this was an interesting post ....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

just so everyone following this post knows, i have since taken the car tire off. at 85 the bike would wobble so bad it almost wrecked me. i swallowed my pride and decided the nay sayers were right on this one. i ordered a metzler 880 and slung it back on and holy crap, it handles like the amazing motorcycle that i fell in love with and bought 2 years ago, except better because now instead of those terrible dunlops i now have a wonderful front and rear set of metzlers. please, before going darkside get a set of metzlers and try them out for tread life. my dad has a big tour deluxe and has almost 12000 miles on his rear metzler and easily has another 4000 before he has to think about another, not to mention his front which is still tickin along. i do not support this mod anymore, especially since after i took off the car tire i saw there were exposed radials on the interior of the tire, probably from having to increase the pressure to 100lbs before the bead would seat. if its for you then it is, but it was not for me, and there are quality motorcycle tires out there that will surprise you. if you decide that darkside is right for you, just stay away from those cheap ass altimax HPs and be careful around freeway speeds. thank you.
This was not the first time i have heard of this happening. I was talking to my dealer while having some stuff installed on my custom and the subject of "darkside" came up.

While he did not offer an opinion for or against, he did say that he has had at least 2 bikes in his shop in the past year that were "darkside" and had similar issues. Both bikes were check over throughly and no mechanical issues were found. His conclusion was that the mix match between car and motorcycle tires was most probably the culprit.

I am unaware of what car tire was used and do not really have an opinion either way myself, but in reading past posts about handling issues and "lane change lag" gives me the conclusion that this is not for me.

·
Registered
46 Posts
'57..as I will agree nothing will have a perfect outcome, too many have had success with using a car tire. Enough that I was convinced to try it. I did 100 miles yesterday pulling my trailer [21cf] with 3/4 load and it handled great. Yes, there are certain characteristics to the ride versus a motorcycle tire, but nothing one can't handle with ease.

As far as curving, etc; it definitely has a different feel, but the only thing that you 'feel' is the hesitation to lean. Yes, the flater/wider tire will ride a groove or rut, but it's not hard to control regardless of ones riding experience.

I had the issue of a rivet head in the sidewall, but it was determined it was made in the tire. They said it came from a factory robot most likely. As it cost me an extra several hours tire change, I am pleased with the handle and hopefully the longevity of the tire. I have the 1700 Voyager and I don't corner at anytime scraping the footboards..so I don't have to worry about getting on the sidewall. I took the bike to the tire shop and we did a test on how far I would have to lean to get on the sidewall. It was almost on the crashbars. I simply don't ride that radical, it's not for me. That said, I very much respect anyones opinion and concerns. It's best to feel safe to be safe.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I have a friend with a Rocket III that's been Darkside for 3 years now. I think the problem described above is speed/weight related. He experiences what he calls tire egging at about 120 mph. The diameter of the tire fluctuates quickly causing the bike to buck terribly. The Rocket is a much heavier bike than our 9ers so maybe we would feel the effect at lower speeds? Anyway, he just stopped topping 100 mph and continued down the dark road.

Keep 'em upright! Later...

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a friend with a Rocket III that's been Darkside for 3 years now. I think the problem described above is speed/weight related. He experiences what he calls tire egging at about 120 mph. The diameter of the tire fluctuates quickly causing the bike to buck terribly. The Rocket is a much heavier bike than our 9ers so maybe we would feel the effect at lower speeds? Anyway, he just stopped topping 100 mph and continued down the dark road.

Keep 'em upright! Later...
Steve..you're spot on with this. It's the weight of the bike that is suspect in the wobbling. A car tire is designed to carry more weight than a bike, thus, with speed it will alter contour and any imbalance will show up in wobbling or shimmying. With a four wheeler, you have it too, but also have four tires countering each other. Not so on a bike, the one tire will dominate with its characteristics. Had the rider with the wobbling changed the tire again he would have gotten a different result. I made sure mine was balanced before installing. The tire shop couldn't, so I got two 5gal buckets stabilized and used my axle and turned the tire with reference marks until it would not move at any position. Make sure your bearings are lubed and free rolling to do this, or barely roll the shaft back and forth to see if the tire moves. This is critical in high speeds.
Thanks for the good imput on this...made sense to me.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Update. I made another 100 mile trip and did this one two up without the trailer.
The first 30 miles was curves and hills, slow going as I've not used that road before. After that, it was down the bluff into the delta bottoms of the Mississippi, but in the upper delta. 15 miles more curves/hills and then the leve road. This road is a thrill to say the least. Flat, straight for miles with only a few slow curves that can be taken in access of 70+. I set the cruise at 70 and at times kicked it to 90-95 and the tire never wobbled or did anything but smooth sailing.
I took pictures of the tire after the ride and you can see the lines where the tire made contact with the road. Not one time [and I did several fast curves] did I get on the side of the tire. Not even close. Ms LJ told me it rode quieter and smoother then the old tire. We ran thru some rain, gravel roads and roads with angles that would be dangerous to a bike but the tire gripped and held better than a MC tire would have. Here's some pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Oldturer, until you see it in action most people expect a bike to ride the sidewalls thru the twisties. Couldn't be further from the truth. When Rocket first put his Darkside tire on I followed him quite a bit (with 2300cc's I'm usually following...). The sidewalls flex so much that even dragging pegs he's got 3/4 of the flat tread on the ground. If you know anyone running Darkside. Make it a point to follow them for a while and watch the way the tire performs. It's astounding!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Oldturer, until you see it in action most people expect a bike to ride the sidewalls thru the twisties. Couldn't be further from the truth. When Rocket first put his Darkside tire on I followed him quite a bit (with 2300cc's I'm usually following...). The sidewalls flex so much that even dragging pegs he's got 3/4 of the flat tread on the ground. If you know anyone running Darkside. Make it a point to follow them for a while and watch the way the tire performs. It's astounding!
Bear in mind the triumph is a 803 lb (wet) motorcycle vs the 641 lb 900. This definatly would be a different handling motorcycle vs stock and not one that novices should deal with. It does not solve the wobbles issue , at 80 mph plus speeds.

As many have had issues sealing the bead, I'm also not convinced that the sidewall flexing and undo pressure on the bead is a good or safe thing.

BTW, maybe its me or an optical thing, but this tire looks cupped inwards in the center and appears to be under inflated.

I for one begrudge the high price of motorcycle tires and their short life expectancy but I'm not yet convinced that going darkside is the answer.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
whiting57, I don't disagree with you. I've never replaced a car tire myself (or a tubless on any vehicle), so I don't know what the bead differences are or how they affect safety. I don't plan on going over myself, I just thought the tire action on the Rocket was facinating to watch.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Bear in mind the triumph is a 803 lb (wet) motorcycle vs the 641 lb 900. This definatly would be a different handling motorcycle vs stock and not one that novices should deal with. It does not solve the wobbles issue , at 80 mph plus speeds.

As many have had issues sealing the bead, I'm also not convinced that the sidewall flexing and undo pressure on the bead is a good or safe thing.

BTW, maybe its me or an optical thing, but this tire looks cupped inwards in the center and appears to be under inflated.

I for one begrudge the high price of motorcycle tires and their short life expectancy but I'm not yet convinced that going darkside is the answer.
57, that is my tire and yes, it is an optical illusion. The tire is the limit on wide side, but it doesn't rub at all. It has 40lbs as I pull a trailer and usually ride two up. So far so good, I actually love the handle and have already gotten used to it. I've been on gravel, rain, steep sided curves and rough road..it well out performed the MC that came on the bike. You all mentioned the weight of the Rocket versus the 900...this is true, the care tire is rated for more weight. My bike weighs 896 without trailer or two up and handles fantastic with the car tire.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts