Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Information needed to go to the Dark Side!:devil2:

My bike is a 2009 Vulcan Voyager with Ivan's Flash / K&N air cleaner and the stock Bridgestone tires so with that stated........

I wanted to know, who had done this with a 2009 Vulcan Voyager?
What tire did you use?
How did it affect your speedo?
What front tire did you use?

Any other information you can shed would be very helpful, looking at doing this in the next two weeks.

Let me know your thoughts and if I should change the front tire to match the rear tire? Bias etc.....

Thank you,
Robert

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
I'm there on a 2012 Voyager running a 205/60/16 Yokohama Avid Envigor. On the front, I'm using a Shinko 777HD wide white wall for now. I am currently at about 32 psi on the rear tire and it feels fine for me. I started out at 39 psi, 40 psi is max on the side wall. Then lowered to 35 before getting to 32. I'm about due for another front tire, installed it at 46131 miles, now has 63940 miles on it, so thats 17809 miles on this tire, with another thousand or so to go before replacement. My speedo is nearly dead accurate now, was reading slow by about 3-4 mph at 60.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
I'm there on a 2012 Voyager running a 205/60/16 Yokohama Avid Envigor. On the front, I'm using a Shinko 777HD wide white wall for now. I am currently at about 32 psi on the rear tire and it feels fine for me. I started out at 39 psi, 40 psi is max on the side wall. Then lowered to 35 before getting to 32. I'm about due for another front tire, installed it at 46131 miles, now has 63940 miles on it, so thats 17809 miles on this tire, with another thousand or so to go before replacement. My speedo is nearly dead accurate now, was reading slow by about 3-4 mph at 60.
Rick, How are things going in Chatsworth. All my Huddleston family has moved on from Eton, so I don't really have reason to ride that way, unless just to meet a fellow Vulcan.

I have been following the darkside discussions with interest. I am about to go even further. I plan to have my 13 nomad 1700 triked with 2 wheels in the front.:surprise::surprise: When I do, all three will be car tires. In the meantime, I need to replace my rear tire and am going to use a car tire. When you did that, did you leave the front tire alone (as opposed to a rear tire on the front), and are there any problems with that?

·
Premium Member
102 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
can you run the bridgestone stock tire up front and then run the Car tire in the back? Do they have to be the same style like Steel belted or ??????

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
I'm still using a biased Shinko 777Hd in front. Sine its wearing so well, I'll probably replace with the same in a month or so.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rick,

Do you have any pictures of the tires on your bike? just wanted to see the clearance etc... thanks~

So you are using a car tire in the front and the rear?

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Rick, is your Shinko 777Hd a front tire or rear tire? Ok, if I could read, I'd have seen that you said front tire.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Rick, is your Shinko 777Hd a front tire or rear tire? Ok, if I could read, I'd have seen that you said front tire.
Front WWW. As of my fill up on the way to work today, I have 17,991 miles and still going. I'm happy with that. Figure will at least equal the best I got out of a Commander II on the front at just over 19k miles, my last 1 only lasted 15k, the Commander I mean.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Information needed to go to the Dark Side!:devil2:

My bike is a 2009 Vulcan Voyager with Ivan's Flash / K&N air cleaner and the stock Bridgestone tires so with that stated........

I wanted to know, who had done this with a 2009 Vulcan Voyager?
What tire did you use?
How did it affect your speedo?
What front tire did you use?

Any other information you can shed would be very helpful, looking at doing this in the next two weeks.

Let me know your thoughts and if I should change the front tire to match the rear tire? Bias etc.....

Thank you,
Robert
2009 1700 Nomad with a 205 Goodyear TripleTred on back and Michelin Commander 2 on front. No noticeable change to the speedo. I keep both tires at 26psi. Only modification was trimming the belt guard just a bit but was easily done with a dremel tool.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Will see if I can take one later. To be honest the plastic is so soft that the Tire it's self pretty much did most of the trimming for me :).

·
Registered
103 Posts
This is the second of these tires I've had on the rear and the Shinko 777 on the front of my '09 voyager. I have 100,400+ miles on mine and put my first car tire on the rear at 60,000 miles. I will not go back.
the photo below is the tire I have on the rear $68 online

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I pulled the trigger and bought the General Altimeter 205/60/16 tire and now I have to take off the rear wheel and let my shop put the new one on, cannot wait to try it, it should be better then changing out tires every 4K or so....

More to come as soon as I get the new tire on....

Thanks to all that helped with the choice

Thanks!
Robert

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Like Rick I am using the Yokohama Avid Envigor on the rear. On the front, I'm using a Shinko 777 series non white wall. However in a couple months I will put the Shinko 777 REAR tire on the front. It has a thicker carcass. I have ran rear tires on the front before on Honda's also with no issues. The Shinko 777 front tire has been a very good front tire.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts