Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thing I may have done something stupid. While I had my exhaust pipes off so I could replace my crush gaskets. I decided to fire it up and see what it sounded like with no exhaust. Sounded so-so. But now I notice some sounds that I didn't before. Is there a chance I may have ruined something?

·
Registered
295 Posts
I thing I may have done something stupid. While I had my exhaust pipes off so I could replace my crush gaskets. I decided to fire it up and see what it sounded like with no exhaust. Sounded so-so. But now I notice some sounds that I didn't before. Is there a chance I may have ruined something?
I think it's your imagination playing tricks on you. The odds are that you did nothing to harm the engine.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
You might want to make sure the screw type clamps (i forget what they're called) midway down the pipes are tight. I loosened mine once to play with my pipes and although i thought they were back on tight, they wiggled loose and rattled. After i tightened them properly... no more noise.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think it's your imagination playing tricks on you. The odds are that you did nothing to harm the engine.
Yeah turns out it's okay. I went over to Leo's South one the local Kawi dealers and had a mech listen to it and he said what I was hearing was the Hydraulic Cam Chain Tensioner. It's funny after he said that and I knew it was okay, it's like the sound magically went away.

Now I didn't realize it had Hydraulic CCT's, I know my 750 has ACCT's which use a spring deal with a plunger. And this noise isn't very steady and rhythmic. So that's why I was worried.

I asked him about my running it without the pipes on, he said no worries with that either. I guess I got worried, (I shouldn't have cuz the guy who said it doesn't know much about vehicles) cuz a guy thought it could be damaging. He was thinking that it might warp the heads. Which seems very unlikely. That is some thick metal to warp.

Another guy (who I trust more) was saying that the problem with doing that, is that cool atmosphere air could get sucked in and the clash of cold air against the hot exhaust valves could warp them. Which seems more plausible. But since the bike didn't even run for more then a minute, I wasn't real worried.

I just hate when you make a change to a bike you become super aware of every little sound.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You might want to make sure the screw type clamps (i forget what they're called) midway down the pipes are tight. I loosened mine once to play with my pipes and although i thought they were back on tight, they wiggled loose and rattled. After i tightened them properly... no more noise.
Actually I thought of that, but then I remember that these pipes aren't made that way. I think the stock ones are though. The Hard Krome are all welds.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Did u run it with no muffler or just straight up no pipes?....you can get damage to exhaust valves if u run it prolonged that way

1 - 6 of 6 Posts