Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to working on bikes and wanted to check my plugs. I have the original tool kit (I know, right?) however couldn't get the wrench in so I figured, 'hey let's take this cover off'. Once I realized that I shouldn't have removed the 3 bolts and did that, I immediately put them back in. My problem now is that it is leaking oil out of the bolts and from under the cover area. I have torqued the bolts down to 104 inch pounds (spec from manual) but it doesn't feel enough. Is that the real torque??

Also, do I need to buy a set of 3 new bolts for the cover? It wasn't leaking before I removed it.

Help.

Ian

·
Registered
101 Posts
The manual I have does say 104 in-lbs. My guess is your valve cover gasket is pinched somewhere, or you are perhaps missing the rubber gaskets that go underneath the three bolts. I had the valve covers off my bike earlier this week for the first time, and they are a bit tricky to get back on properly. I torqued them properly and I can't tell if I just didn't wipe some oil off afterwards or if I have a bit weeping from the gasket. Remove the bolts and check that there is a rubber gasket under them, and check that you valve cover gasket is not pinched somewhere. If that doesn't work, replace the gaskets.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I didn't see a gasket when I pulled the chrome cover off. There is the actual head, a 'plastic' black gasket I guess then the chrome cover with the three bolts. It was leaking from the bolts and between the black 'gasket' and chrome cover.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just be careful not to over-torque. I ended up snapping one of the head cover bolts after I checked my valves, luckily I was able to pull the threaded part with an easy-out and I happen to have a spare VN800 engine so I didn't have to order a new bolt. And yes, I was using a torque wrench, but for whatever reason it didn't click over properly, I think the required torque was too low for the wrench.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply. Do I need to order new bolts since I have removed these ones? Just drives me crazy because there was no leak prior to my idiotic move of removing them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
No you shouldn't need new bolts unless you snapped one like I did. You might just need to give them an extra quarter or half turn to get the right tightness. After I broke the first bolt, I just sort of "eye-balled" them when torquing and haven't had any issues thus far. Like Beans mentioned, you might also be missing the o-rings that go between the bolts and the head cover, so make sure you have those and that they aren't broken -- part # 92055 in the diagram here: 1996 Kawasaki VULCAN 800 CLASSIC (VN800-B1) Cylinder Head Cover | Babbitts Kawasaki Partshouse

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
annnnnnndddd...SNAP!!!...DANG. Easy out here I come...anywho, it looks like some of the inner washers were broken so I have ordered 3 new ones as well as 2 new bolts...

Ian

1 - 7 of 7 Posts