Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 2000 800 with k&n filter and cobra pipes, my previous bike was a Suzuki intruder that had a gas shutoff, I did not know this bike was vacuum, I put it in prime and it over flowed and fouled the rear plug, I replaced both plugs and put in a new battery a couple of months ago, I went to really let it run for the first time a couple of days ago and it backfired a bit but after riding it around, it was running fine, I went to start it today and the rear cylinder is not firing again, it is getting spark and has compression, any help is much appreciated. Thank you!

·
Registered
234 Posts
I would do a simple test...
Take out the spark plug, drip some gas directly into the second cylinder, put all together and try to start the bike. If the spark is OK, it will start. If it starts OK and keeps running, try to warm it up. Then stop the engine and try to start it again. If it starts OK and runs without backfiring, leave it to cool down a bit. Then try to start again... What happens?

There are two things that come in my mind. First, check the ignition coil. Second, if it's backfiring, something's wrong with ignition timing.

Try to change the spark plug in the second cylinder one more time. (Simply change from one cylinder to another.)

·
BOTSpring Winner 2017
77 Posts
Is fuel leaking past the needle valve in the carb? Even with the petcock on prime, the valve should stop the flow. Bad needle valve? Now you may have fuel in the oil that washed down past the rings. Once you fix the problem you might want to change the oil.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts