Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been beat to death, but in case anyone else was curious, I just installed the 'new' 7000 lumen H4 bulb from Cyclops.

The bulb was $75 and $7 for S+H. Ordered last Saturday, arrived on Wednesday. I've never attempted a "conversion" light before, but it was a fairly easy procedure. The light emitted is considerably brighter in both terms of reach and luminosity, than the standard Silverstar halogen it replaced. Having spent the last month riding home at night and struggling into 'blind' turns on back roads, I needed the cheapest and easiest solution for better visibility; this certainly did the job.

From start to finish took a total of 30 minutes. The directions weren't the most helpful, but I was able to figure it out. The path that it illuminates spans approx 20 ft further at either side, and approx 30-50 ft further down the road at the horizon, while moving. I didn't have to adjust the height at all, but I've also not been alerted on blinding any oncoming traffic. If you're unfamiliar with the Cyclops bulb, it's a 2 diode on low/ all 4 on high, bulb with a fan and an adapter/modulator? tethered. The aforementioned unit tucks into the housing pretty easily and is truly plug and play. If anyone has any other questions about the install, or about the light itself, I would be glad to answer to the best of my ability.

Hope this helps anyone considering other options for lighting, than a standard Halogen bulb.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hey Wally, I'm just north of Dallas outside of McKinney. I work in Denton and often have to travel south of the city, so if you're close and need an extra set of hands just let me know. For what it's worth, I dreaded the thought of tackling an electrical project too. It's a few extra steps than just replacing the bulb, but fairly painless nonetheless. If you can ride a motorcycle, I'm pretty confident you can change the light :)

The added bonus is you can finally see the road ahead of you! The difference is truly amazing. Think of it as skill building and you'll grow confident and more visible, having done it. In terms of safety, it's a "no brainer" and I'd recommend everyone whom is on a factory setup, to seriously consider either an HID replacement or the LED one I used.

After reading some threads last night about visibility and safety, my previous project of exhaust, intake and tuner is going to the back burner. I plan on adding a Wolo or Denali Horn and a light bar next, I think. So more electrical is definitely in my future.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Just curious, what is the color temperature of this bulb? Is it that bluish LED color compared to halogen?

·
Registered
212 Posts
BTW, I agree, visibility is king, money in the bank, life itself, day and night. I added red reflective tape on the playing card sized plate on my license plate holder, the part that used to be for the registration sticker but is no longer used in Texas. The holder also has LEDs in it that light up more when brakes are applied. So from behind there is a tail light with built in reflector, brake light, lit license plate holder and reflective tape. That's a lot of stuff shining in the eyes of a vehicle behind the bike.

In daylight, I have a high viz yellow/green jacket and helmet. I can tell a difference in the behavior of drivers between these and my black leather jacket and flat black half helmet. I guarantee you that flourescent colors cause a faster and stronger recognition of the bike in daytime traffic.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not exactly sure the precise color, I'd call it bright white. If I'm not mistaken, per the website, the color of light has been changed from the previous 3800 lumen bulb; it's reportedly 5500k. I've never seen the prior bulb, so I can't speak on the difference between the two.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes and no. The original boot was in bad shape and when I took it off I discovered a big tear along one wall. I'm in Texas, so I'm assuming the rubber just hardened and cracked over time from the heat. I had to order a new boot, but the old one covered well for the interim with a little Duct Tape. New boot fit without any problem.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just as a follow up: I've had the light on for about a month now and I'm still emphatic about it. Two nights ago, a Star Stryker pulled up next to me and as I looked over, he tapped his helmet. I flipped my visor and he said "nice light". Just as he said it, light turned green and he took off leaving me in the dust; but I did notice how yellow his Halogen was from the corner of my eye. Overall, it's provided the perfect amount of illumination without actually having to put in a whole new $600 setup.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have the last model, 3800 lumens, and I really want to see a side by side because nearly double the brightness makes it tempting

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts