Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there...Looking for some help. My 900 classic lt will cut out after a couple hours of riding. As I am gliding along and pop the clutch it will restart. But it will keep doing this and was able to make it home. I had this problem earlier on and removed the sub throttle plates as suggested by other forum posts (had code 62).It worked great after that for a couple of months but started acting up again. This time there are no codes when I do the self diagnostic procedure. Wondering if I should replace the fuel pump and filter. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

· Registered
1,306 Posts
What is the condition of your throttle body behind your throttle plates? How clean is the intake channel?
What's the condition of your air filter?

There are a lot of things that can cause the issue your describing
Bad fuel
water in fuel
electrical short
clogged filter (Fuel or air)
bad fuel pump
Depending on mileage could be valves way out of spec (unlikely)

But there is another possibility you may not have thought of

Check your battery a battery going bad can cause these bikes to do all kinds of weird stuff.
Check voltage with bike off, with bike running and get the battery load tested. I have seen a ton of batteries show 12.5 or better voltage but fail a load test.
It could also be stator or regulator/rectifier going bad and causing poor voltage to battery

What I'm saying is its very unlikely that any one will be able to properly diagnose what's wrong with out some testing on your part and more information.
I would not recommend any part at this point since its never a good idea to throw parts at the problem hoping to fix it.
Test diagnose and repair.

I'm sure others will have recommendations as well.

In my opinion removing your throttle plates at best only masked the problem for a time since doing this wouldn't solve any real problem unless the actuator for the plates was not functioning properly. If that was the case i would suspect a vacuum leak on your throttle body since the actuators are not known to cause problems. Not saying you could not have had one that was bad but the issue would be very rare on these bikes unless a lot of grime is caked on it. A vacuum leak or dirty mechanism is far more likely than a bad one.

· Registered
1,434 Posts
I have seen videos where the recommended method of removing the sub-throttle plates, is best done while leaving the sub-throttle sensor plugged in. This way no error codes are generated, at least this is what the videos say..

· Registered
885 Posts
It could also be stator or regulator/rectifier going bad and causing poor voltage to battery
Same issue on a Honda 500 interceptor years ago. Overcharging reg/rec kept cooking a flooded lead acid battery.
On newer AGM batteries this is usually caused by the opposite condition. That is undercharging at high ignition system load demands

1 - 4 of 4 Posts