Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my windshield the day I bought my bike. Since I was not an experienced rider before, I asked for the dealer's suggestion on what size. They did their best and I do not hold them at fault. We ordered a 17" tall Memphis Slim. A few months in I realized I would have prefered a 15" tall Memphis Fat. The edge of the 17 is right in my line of sight.

I am looking at cutting the one I have back about 2"-3". A lady at the local bike shop said she had done this. She made a template of the original shape with a piece of thin cardboard. Slid it down 2" and made her mark on painters tape she had put on the shield to protect it. She cut it with a fine tooth jig-saw and then flame licked the edge with a propane torch to finish the rough edge. She swears it worked like a charm, but I haven't actually laid eyes on here handywork.

Has anyone else done this or seen it done? Afraid to ruin a $150 shield, but would love for mine to be shorter. I can't see buying a new 15" Fats when this one is still new. Anyone want to trade? Or maybe someone has a cheap 15" Fats. Please comment away!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Her technique is correct, and works well, if you take your time. You can also go buy a new piece of lexan and use the current windshield as a template. Match the holes up and then add or take-away what you want. This way, you can keep the original as a backup, or ebay it.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Or you could sell the 17 and buy a 15. I think you can buy just the replacement plastic part for$75.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've cut down a couple windshields. works like a charm. tape both sides, use a fine-tooth blade in a jigsaw, just like she said. although i didnt use the propane torch method. I just used , I think it was 800grit emry paper. left a very nice edge. couldnt even tell they were cut down.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've cut down a couple windshields. works like a charm. tape both sides, use a fine-tooth blade in a jigsaw, just like she said. although i didnt use the propane torch method. I just used , I think it was 800grit emry paper. left a very nice edge. couldnt even tell they were cut down.

I did the same thing on my Kawa stock windshield, with the sandpaper. I didn't have the propane torch. I'm sure the torch saves some time compared to sanding. The only person that can tell, besides me, is the friend that helped me do the work. The measuring and lining everything up was the hard part. Cutting was easy. Make sure you make a test cut above your intended line first. This will give you the feel for it. Sanded down everything when complete, then used some plastic restorer for the edges to make them look smooth. I can see over the windshield now and I don't get the buffeting like I had before. Nice!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I bought my windshield the day I bought my bike. Since I was not an experienced rider before, I asked for the dealer's suggestion on what size. They did their best and I do not hold them at fault. We ordered a 17" tall Memphis Slim. A few months in I realized I would have prefered a 15" tall Memphis Fat. The edge of the 17 is right in my line of sight.

I am looking at cutting the one I have back about 2"-3". A lady at the local bike shop said she had done this. She made a template of the original shape with a piece of thin cardboard. Slid it down 2" and made her mark on painters tape she had put on the shield to protect it. She cut it with a fine tooth jig-saw and then flame licked the edge with a propane torch to finish the rough edge. She swears it worked like a charm, but I haven't actually laid eyes on here handywork.

Has anyone else done this or seen it done? Afraid to ruin a $150 shield, but would love for mine to be shorter. I can't see buying a new 15" Fats when this one is still new. Anyone want to trade? Or maybe someone has a cheap 15" Fats. Please comment away!

If you don't mind me asking, how tall are you? I am 5'11" and am having a hard time deciding between a 15" and a 17"

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you don't mind me asking, how tall are you? I am 5'11" and am having a hard time deciding between a 15" and a 17"
I am 5' 10". I think the 15" would be better for you. I also recommend the Fats shield. It will protect you more in the cold and I think the Slims looks a little too slim. My opinion, but I am the only one who has to like it anyway.:D

I hope this helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts