Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Vulcan LT
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there is extensive information about custom seats but I need to zero in a little bit more. I am pushed up too far and am starting to be annoyed by where the seat on a 2020 LT rises. Specifically, if I could remove about 1 1/2 inches of foam between me and the rear seat that would work. The height is fine. I am 6' 230. In classifies, there is a seat referred to as the Extended Reach Seat with a picture on the Cafe that looks about right. Saddlemen I think. Need hard numbers, for any seat, that shows an addition 1 1/2 inches than the OEM.

Measuring from where the OEM turns up to support the back it is 13 inches. So any seat that provides 14/1/2 inches before it turns up I think will work.

Any recommendations appreciated. I also saw that in some cases after getting a custom seat, the seat would not come off using the key. That would be bad. Has anyone had upholstery work done on the OEM?

·
Super Moderator
2,707 Posts
When I read your profile, it was like I wrote it. I too have had bikes continuously since being a teenager. Had Goldwings since 1976 to 2019. Also the Mrs can’t ride with me anymore. So I bought a 900 Classic. As far as the seat, have not seen any that moved the rider back more than 1”. I put a Saddleman solo seat on my 900 and it seems to be in the stock position. Could call the seat manufacturers and see if they can make it custom. Only issue with that is cost and if you don’t like the seat afterwards, you are stuck with it. Might be best to take the stock seat somewhere and have it tailored to your needs. If you ride solo could get a used aftermarket seat and have it altered. Wanted some more room on my Goldwing 1800 and had a shop remove the piece right behind the rider and install gel pads for the rider and passenger. Worked out real well. As far as the aftermarket seat being hard to get off, haven’t experienced that. But if it happens can always shim the latch to not hold the seat so tight. Ride Safely.

·
Premium Member
2020 Vulcan LT
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I read your profile, it was like I wrote it. I too have had bikes continuously since being a teenager. Had Goldwings since 1976 to 2019. Also the Mrs can’t ride with me anymore. So I bought a 900 Classic. As far as the seat, have not seen any that moved the rider back more than 1”. I put a Saddleman solo seat on my 900 and it seems to be in the stock position. Could call the seat manufacturers and see if they can make it custom. Only issue with that is cost and if you don’t like the seat afterwards, you are stuck with it. Might be best to take the stock seat somewhere and have it tailored to your needs. If you ride solo could get a used aftermarket seat and have it altered. Wanted some more room on my Goldwing 1800 and had a shop remove the piece right behind the rider and install gel pads for the rider and passenger. Worked out real well. As far as the aftermarket seat being hard to get off, haven’t experienced that. But if it happens can always shim the latch to not hold the seat so tight. Ride Safely.
Thank You. Nice response. I made an offer on DannyLees Corbin. Looks that would work and a reasonable price. Not sure about the brown but worth a shot. I also made a connection with our history. Goldwing is an amazing bike.

·
Super Moderator
2,707 Posts
Had a Corbin on my 900 and it did sit me back and down a bit. Just liked the look of the Saddlemen. Be well.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Corbin's don't give. Extended reach is what you're looking for. As Tourer commented that generally about one inch in most cases but some research might get you additional info. It's worth contacting Saddleman to see what their Extended reach seats will give you, if they don't already list it on their webpage.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
If money were no object I would consider Russell Day Long Saddles. They take your seat pan and make a custom seat based on photos you send them.

·
Registered
103 Posts
If money were no object I would consider Russell Day Long Saddles. They take your seat pan and make a custom seat based on photos you send them.

I agree, Had one on a DL 1000 V-Strom and currently have one on my V-Rod. The name is applicable, can ride all day on it. Most aren't willing to spend $500 on a seat though. And they're not exactly trend setting in the style department. Wide and funny looking to most but sure feel good on your arse.

·
Premium Member
2020 Vulcan LT
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Thank You all for your help. The day-long does look very comfortable. I am taking the stock seat to an upholstery shop today for ideas. If that does not work out I think Russell Day Long is my next stop. Looking at their gallery I thought the look was fine.

·
Premium Member
2020 Vulcan LT
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I used this guy once on a V-Strom seat. Did an acceptable job inexpensively, just liked the Day Long better. Looks like he's currently closed for relocation till mid December.
Thank You. I had the V-Strom 650. An amazing fun bike. I took the seat today to an upholstery guy who seemed confident he could deliver what I wanted. I will post a picture in about a week. The charge is $200.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts