Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here we go!

I'm diving in! I bought a second seat for my 500 LTD that I'm having customized. I was going to try it myself but ended up deciding that if it's truly done right, I'll be riding my 500 ALL THE TIME and so it's worth the $$$ to have it done right.

I've taken it to Bitchn Stichn http://bitchnstitchninc.com/ and had them mod it for me. I'm waiting for the re-cover/stitching to be done.

Here's a photo of me sitting on the bike wishing I was further back & up...

And another of the seat after shaping. The black lines are their rough ideas of where the stitching will be.

I'm super-excited because this gives me a much, much better position when riding. And the seat will be shaped much more like my 900's seat.

Now the only thing left is to add some risers to bring the bars up & back.

I'll post some pictures here when I get the seat and put it on.

Woo hoo! :D

-Danimal :glasses-cool:

Attachments

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like you need a longer bike not a new seat!:eek:
True, but I love the 500 too much! I have the 500 and 900 in my garage and I switch between them both... but the reality is that the 500 is more fun, at least to me.

I got the new seat and even added some risers, so it's a much more comfortable ride now.

I'll post some pics here soon.

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting! I will be waiting to see final result. How tall a man are you? What is the cost to have the seat redone?
I'm 6'1", 210 lbs.

They were able to scoot me back about 3 inches, but I had to rise up about 1-2 inches in order to not have me bump against the hump. So it's taking some getting used to... a very different feel, but I like it!

Cost was a bit high, but worth it: $500 for the whole deal (actually like $495). It was about $250 for the shaping (including a gel pack), and another $250 for the custom cover. I think they are much cheaper if you just do shaping and reuse whatever cover you have, but in my case, the cover wasn't any good anymore.

· Registered
87 Posts
So how did it all turn out? Any pics of the final look with seat and risers?

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I had to add some handlebar risers

So I did this mod. The custom seat is about 2 inches higher up and of course I sit further back. So I needed to change the handlebar positioning.

The first picture is me holding the handlebars before the risers. The second is me holding the air where they should be to have a good riding position.

The rest are the pictures of doing the riser mod.

Attachments

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
More riser mods

Here's some more pictures of the risers.

Interestingly, all the cables worked just fine except the clutch cable. It was really really tight. I ended up re-routing it a bit down low, then putting zip ties in to hold it in place. It works well now, but it was touch-n-go nervousness at first because it was so tight.

And last, you can see my positioning looks much better now. Handles are a couple inches up and back, which is just perfect.

It definitely feels a little different to ride, at least for now, because I'm up higher and back more. The foot controls (shifter & break) feel slightly different because my feet are at a different angle than before.

I may still adjust a few things: perhaps rotate some of the controls on the handlebars back... i.e. turn signal. And I may try to fiddle with the shifter/break angles.

But overall I'm very pleased! Ride is much more comfortable than the stock seat. I don't have back pain riding anymore.

Woo hoo!

Attachments

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Some final pictures

So here's a few all together.

First, the bike with no risers and original seat.
Second, the bike with new seat but no risers.
Third, the bike with new seat and risers.
Fourth, another angle of the new seat + risers.

Attachments

· Registered
811 Posts
Comfort is what it's all about when we approach middle age or beyond, specially if you do any serious riding. Looks like Bitchn Stichn did a nice job of fitting your 500 to your specs. It looks very comfortable. What puzzles me is how you guys can ride your bikes for any length of time without a windshield. Since you're higher by about 3", which seems like a lot, you'll catch even more wind.

Granted, the bikes look better w/o the shields, but I can't enjoy the ride for any length of time without one.

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Comfort is what it's all about when we approach middle age or beyond, specially if you do any serious riding. Looks like Bitchn Stichn did a nice job of fitting your 500 to your specs. It looks very comfortable. What puzzles me is how you guys can ride your bikes for any length of time without a windshield. Since you're higher by about 3", which seems like a lot, you'll catch even more wind.

Granted, the bikes look better w/o the shields, but I can't enjoy the ride for any length of time without one.
Funny thing is, I tried a windshield for the 500, and the 900. The 500 simply was too short. And with the seat mod, it would have been even shorter. I really like the idea of a windshield, but I can't make it work (yet). For me, at least, I'm mostly doing commuting on back roads or shorter rides, so I don't mind the wind as much (and I use a full-face helmet).

If I were doing lots more highway riding, then I'd do some more serious consideration of a windshield.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.