Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking of getting a smaller bike for solo riding around town. I would like to know why all you guys and gals chose the Custom over the Classic?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
991 Posts
900c

The custom already has a "modified" look and it is pretty easy to turn it into a pub crawler with simple mods. I chose it for my second bike because the Classic and the LTs have big clunky front ends and the fenders to match. The Custom presents a sportier profile with the drag bars, stubby fender and small tire:)

Attachments

·
Registered
347 Posts
Appearance. As DANAD says...more custom/chopper look...small but chubby rear tire...looks more low-slung...and for me, IMHO a little "cooler".

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Strictly looks. I like the bobbed rear fender and the tall narrow front wheel. I've never been a fan of the "classic" look. Always looked big and heavy to me.

·
Registered
169 Posts
For the LOOKS :D & that big azz front tire

·
Registered
113 Posts
+1 on the front wheel, and the color :D

When I rode my dad's LT back-to-back with my Custom, the Custom just feel's "lighter" to turn (both bikes have windshields). Just another benefit of the cooler drag bars and front wheel/thinner tire...

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I kinda think the big tire and sportier look makes the custom a chick magnet but not in the market. Quite a few "chicks" have commented on my bike or smiled at me. Just don't think an older guys looks as cool on those big clunky fat tired classics. :D

I can't compare the ride because never ridden a classic.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Go to the dealer and sit on both.

I went from a 900 custom to a 1600 classic. Ignore the size diff, that is not my point. The sitting position on a custom is feet forward, leaning back. The classic sit position is more straight up, feet down. If you are not used to that (feet forward), it takes a bit to get used to.

I miss my custom. :) But for the long road the classic is the better way to go (for me).

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I have not ridden the 900 custom but I have ridden other "Custom" style bikes. I like the ride and handling of the big front tire. That is what I have ridden most and feel more comfortable on. I don't the skinny front tire feels and solid and you feel more of the road surface. But I like the more forward controls and pegs better than boards. For me (riding solo) the Mean Streak was nice. Had the forward controls and the larger front tire for the ride.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Have to admit , the floor boards I hate on the LT, I have always had pegs and like the laid back ride. Always feel like my foot is going to slide off on the boards when I am on the interstate. I am too short to have highway pegs so that sucks even more lol

·
Registered
102 Posts
Mainly the fat front tyre of the LT is giving me good confidence when there is a road profile change, where as the Custom fromt tyre is very thin. Then the overall looks of the LT with the passing lamps, wind shield and wide handle bars are adding more road respect from other road users. I needed saddle bags on my bike and it looks nice on a LT where as it makes ugly (to me) on a custom.

rg,

cv

·
Registered
525 Posts
Have to admit , the floor boards I hate on the LT, I have always had pegs and like the laid back ride. Always feel like my foot is going to slide off on the boards when I am on the interstate. I am too short to have highway pegs so that sucks even more lol
What?? Backwards for me. On the front pegs I felt my feet would slip down (you know, gravity?) and off. I fixed it adding talon rests to my pegs. Later, when I got the classic, made a great diff. You feet are down flat, where are they going to go?

Anyway, that was my point. Riding position is very different between them and I would guess one of the basic points on selecting one or the other. I miss the custom, for the looks and light weight, but much more comfy with flat feet on boards. :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
For me its a classic. But I love that big sturdy front end. I'm married with 4 girls though I am far from looking for "Chicks". But I do love my classic-sofa for the nice ride. My first Vulcan was a custom as time went on I opted for comfort over cool. I'm cool enough just to be out there enjoying what the on lookers wish they were enjoying. My next one will have to be the 800/1500 Drifter dont care the cc just like that big classic look that says to every one else "Yup, this is my bike. Yup it only seats one. Nope you cant ride!" still a classic style though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am a taller guy (6' 3") and found the Custom to be a whole lot more comfortable for me than the classic. I like the look and color as well.

I tried all sorts of different makes and models in this size range and the 900C was by far the most comfortable.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts