Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still dithering about buying a 900 Vulcan. I really like the look of the Custom and the tubeless tires but now I am wondering about the front tire and fork rake angle. Are there any safety issues with the skinny front tire? How will the handling compare?

Any other opinions between the two bikes would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am partial to the classic. I like the oldschool look, I like spokes... I do not like the trashy 80's and or sportster wannabe mag front wheel look of the custom. Alot say the customs back fender also seems a bit high off the rear tire like a dirt bike too. One thing I do like about the custom are the drag bars, but I saw a set on fleabay for like 80 bucks. My opinions only.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Of course there r no safety issues or they would not b on the road...The rake is not extreme.....So as far as handling is only minor.....It really comes down 2 what u want or need........I have not owned a custom...But i have ridden them....When i bought my 900 I bought the classic....But that was more suited 4 what i wanted and needed......Test drive each if ya can.....Try 2 figure what ur needs and wants r and go from there.....Good luck.....:)

·
Registered
451 Posts
I have a classic because I prefer the look, and really like footboards. I'd rather have tubeless tires, but that's a minor downside for me.

Many here on the forum rave about their customs.

That said, buy whatever look plucks at your heart strings.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
It comes down to personal preference, I didn't like the dirtbike style rear fender, I liked the fat front end so I got a classic. Now after some minor mods I feel I have the best of both, I kept the fat front, added 900 custom drag bars and forward controls and love the bike:D

·
Registered
14 Posts
im on my second custom. I honestly only bought another custom bc they didn't have anymore classics and it was going to cost 400.00 more to get one. With that said they are both a good choice and you will be pleased with either. There is a good gap between the tire and fender, but you can do a couple things. I opted for saddle bags to cover it up, a lot of people put the lowering kit though. Just depends on your preference.

·
Registered
67 Posts
also a fan of foot boards to. But know for show got stuck in a rain storm on the eway less week and with the bigger front tire im sure was a plus so im a classic fan

·
Registered
600 Posts
There are pros and cons for both bikes. Ride both if you can or sit on them until they throw you out of the dealership then go with your heart and mind.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have the Custom SE and bought it because I like the blacked out look. I don't want to spend all day polishing after a ride. The rake is what, 1 degree more on a custom? Hardly noticeable, and I have not had any problems with handling and I have taken highways, windy backroads, etc. I would say the same as the rest. Go by what YOU like the looks of and what you like the feel of, not by what other people tell you is better. Or hell, just choose by which one you can get a steal on, I don't think you'll be dissapointed either way! Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
455 Posts
I think ergos are different. Sit an compare what fits you!

·
Registered
295 Posts
I'm a sportbike guy and I love my Custom, it handles great. My only complaint is that I end up going too fast on it and grind the footpegs in the curves every now and then. I have to remind myself that it's a cruiser!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've ridden both and it's all in what you prefer.I've had my custom on long trips and had no problems with handling,including rain.Just choose what you want and ride safe.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have a Custom because i like the 21 inch frount wheel and mag wheels and like the forward foot pegs. Set on each one and look them over and let what looks and feels best be your ride.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Here I go. I hope I don't make anybody mad. It is just my opinion. The custom is a good looking bike in stock form. The problem is that most people don't want to keep it that way because it is not practical. At some point almost everybody wants to do something more than cruise main street. When you start hanging saddle bags and windshields on them they start looking like a kludge. It is like bolting a cargo carrier on a Camaro. I'm not saying it can't be done. Some on here have pulled it off pretty well with their customs.

IMHO it is much easier to work with the Classic when adding accessories. I am also pretty practical, but I also like good looks. I think the accessories have to be chosen carefully to put the right package together. For example, I was looking for a slight Road King Classic look for mine as you can see in the pictures I added here. Sorry for bringing up the HD thing, but someone already mentioned Sportsters hehehe!!!

So, the short answer is; buy what works for you and what you think looks good, but keep in mind what you want to do with the complete package when you are finished.

OK. I guess I'm asking for it, so flame on.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Here I go. I hope I don't make anybody mad. It is just my opinion. The custom is a good looking bike in stock form. The problem is that most people don't want to keep it that way because it is not practical. At some point almost everybody wants to do something more than cruise main street. When you start hanging saddle bags and windshields on them they start looking like a kludge. It is like bolting a cargo carrier on a Camaro. I'm not saying it can't be done. Some on here have pulled it off pretty well with their customs.

IMHO it is much easier to work with the Classic when adding accessories. I am also pretty practical, but I also like good looks. I think the accessories have to be chosen carefully to put the right package together. For example, I was looking for a slight Road King Classic look for mine as you can see in the pictures I added here. Sorry for bringing up the HD thing, but someone already mentioned Sportsters hehehe!!!

So, the short answer is; buy what works for you and what you think looks good, but keep in mind what you want to do with the complete package when you are finished.

OK. I guess I'm asking for it, so flame on.

I own a Custom and can agree with that, so you won't get ripped by me! Ha! I have seen a couple sets of hard bags that follow the lines of the rear fender and actually look really good for the Customs too. They even had matching taillights in the bags, so it almost looked like 3 fenders side by side. But I agree on sticking a windshield, floorboards, etc. just wouldn't look right with the "theme" of a Custom. If you are going for that look, the Classic is more in that style. PS: That is a sharp bike you ride and you did a good job of following that HD styling. They could almost be brothers. :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
It's a great point that not one post rips the "other" bike as a bad bike. I mean, lots of custom owners have nice bikes, but they don't say anything bad about the classics. The classic owners state why the customs don't work for them, but don't say anything negative about customs. I was at the same point, couldn't decide between the two, when a HD friend said on our roads around here, the narrow front fender of the custom will get you muddier and dirtier. I went with the classic. That said, the only time I've been off the pavement is going through our yard. The fender size wouldn't have made a difference anyway! Customs are great looking bikes. You'll be happy with either one, just what suits you better. I'm happy with my classic.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the replies The consensus seem to be not any noticeable difference in handling, my main concern. Thanks again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts