Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well i thought i would share what i have to do to get anything nice for my 900 custom (Big Red)
And thats make it myself, why make it yourself you might ask?
Well the simple reason being i live in South Africa and there are next to no accesories available over here, and the little that is available is very very pricey.
For example i phone kawaski up and asked them about a backrest for my bike, the price was R5600.00 now before everyone grabs a calculator to convert the currency, put it into perspective.
The asking price is just over 3/4 of one months salary for me.
Now take 3/4 of your salary and ask the obvious question, would you spend that much on an accesory like a backrest??
Welcome to my world, HAHA:D
So first off here are the grips i made, they are machined from 6061 aluminium, and anodized as seen with a 304 stainless spike on the end, the skull underneath the grip is a throttle lock/cruise control type thingy.
I would love to hear your opinion, and yes i know they could be dangerous, but thats my choice, i tried to be as individual as possible and make something i had never seen before

Attachments

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
12 volt socket

The next thing i made was a 12 volt socket, which can be used to supply 12volts to whatever you wish within the 10 amp limit of the inline fuse.
I made it for road trips so i could plug my mini compressor into it, also for my cell phone which acts as an mp3 player when i'm in the mood, again all machining was done by me at home and the material used was once more 6061 aluminium and cartridge cases from my .44 mag.
The photos show the socket on my handle bars with and without the cap attached, enjoy.

Attachments

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am currently busy with a back rest and a new airbox cover in the SPYKE shape, don't hold your breath i'm first trying to find a Kand N air filter that will work in it

·
Registered
78 Posts
Xclnt

I applaud your ingenuity sir - no way would I pay 3/4 of a DAY'S salary for an accessory - much less the outrageous costs you have to endure.

Methinks both those projects turned out great .. kudos.

Wonder how much it would be to ship stuff to South Africa. Maybe you and I could be "trading partners"...

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Gort

Thanks man, thats just about the only way we seem to be able to get anything this side, make it.
Some of us have tried importing stuff, but there seems to be some kind of block on credit card transactions????? I really just don't get it
I would just love a gear position indicator and a rev counter, but for now all i can do is drool on my keyboard.
Trading partner?? Explain, you have my attention thats for sure

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Red Rider

Thanks, yeah thats just sic man, can you understand why i resort to making my own stuff?
Fortunately i have a little bit of a flair for design so i cobble something up in my head and just make it.
Most guys in my country ride speed sleds, i used to as well, but changed over to cruisers 3 yrs back

1 - 8 of 8 Posts