Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought I'd share my experience...

One of the first things I wanted to address regarding my 900 Classic was my concern about its visibility from the rear. After looking at the various options I decided on the Custom Dynamics Smart Triple Play...mainly because I just liked all the programming options (especially since I plan to upgrade to LEDs eventually), and the ability to adjust the intensity of the turn signal lamps when in running light mode:

I ordered part number GEN-SMART-TPU-UNV directly from the Custom Dynamics website. While there I also picked up a pair of red lenses (RTSL 1300). Total $107.89 shipped. I did not buy a load resistor.

Having no intention of cutting up the factory wiring on my bike, I decided to build an "extension harness".

I found a connector set (6 position .110 inch / 2.8mm) that perfectly matches the factory harness connector here, $9.55 shipped: http://www.qualitycycleparts.com/34_6937_6_pin_Male_Female_coupler_set_p/34-6937 electrical coupler set.htm

UPDATE: Looks like Quality Cycle Parts is out of business. The same part number 34-6937 is available here: https://www.z1enterprises.com/terminal-connector-set-t-6-pin-off-white-1.html....also available at Eastern Beaver (PN 6P110): https://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Connectors/110_Connectors/110_connectors.html

The hardest part (for me) was finding good wire that I didn't have to spend a small fortune on, as in 25ft+ rolls. Found this guy on e-bay and got five 5ft long pieces of 18 gauge GXL wire in the same colors as the factory harness (to keep things clean and simple) for only $13.25 shipped. If you "Ask A Question" to the seller and tell him what colors you need, he will make you a package deal: http://www.ebay.com/itm/GXL-stripe-automotive-wire-18-gauge-120-colors-Harley-Honda-Yamaha-Suzuki-Indian-/261157608879?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cce34ddaf&vxp=mtr This is very nice wire. I think the factory wire is 20 gauge, but to me the 18 is a little easier to work with. Works fine with the above connector kit.

The tools you'll need: needle-nose pliers, wire cutters, crimping tool, electrical tape.

The steps I followed:
1. Study and understand the installation instructions that come with the Smart Triple Play;
2. Remove the seat;
3. Decide on a location to place/mount the Smart Triple Play; determine the length of extension harness you need. I made mine 8 inches long;
4. Locate the harness coming out of the rear fender going towards the gas tank; find the connector and disconnect;
5. Draw a “pin out sketch” of the connectors: what colored wires are where. Double check;
6. Fabricate and test the harness on your bike before cutting and connecting the Smart Triple Play;
7. Install the Smart Triple Play onto the extension harness according to the instructions that come with it. The wire color/function information it contains for Kawasaki was exactly right for my bike (agreed with Service Manual diagrams). You can use the posi-lock connectors if you want to but I didn't (I used old-school twist). Tidy the finished kit up with electrical tape;
8. Plug and Play! Replace your rear amber turn signal lenses with red.

My experience: I've only ridden about 100 miles using it...city, stop-and-go driving. So far, I love this thing. Installation and set-up/programming was easy, the instructions concise and accurate, and performance exactly as advertised. The turn signal flash rate is a bit faster than originally, but only a bit and I actually kinda like that. No regrets. I'd do it again.

Here's a picture of the full kit (I removed all the posi-lock connectors from the Smart Triple Play as I don't like or trust them):

The factory connectors:

My pin-out sketch of the factory connectors (“looking into the connectors”):

The finished kit:

Finished kit installed (not shown: the heavy-duty freezer bag and twist-tie I used to seal it up in):

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Following Rick's instructions I reproduced the same thing yesterday. It works great and, as Rick points out, I did not have to cut into any existing wires. I created the straight-through harness first, tested it to make sure all the connections were good, then cut into the new harness wires recreating what is shown above.

Next step will be to install LEDs to increase the brightness. Custom Dynamics has these turn signals,

http://www.customdynamics.com/kawasaki_turn_signal_led.htm,

which look pretty good and reasonably priced. But, I still can't find an LED board for the tail light other than this one.

http://www.chromeglow.com/catalog.asp?prodid=744970&showprevnext=1

They say it will fit the VN900 also but at $67 it's pricey because it includes the lens as well which sells for $40 on it's own. I emailed them to see if they could sell the LED board separately but no luck. They said they get these things in packages. So, if any one has a tail light LED board they are happy with for a reasonable price, please let me know! :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Did you have to change the directional lights to LEDs first? I'm pretty sure the OEM bulbs are single filament which would not have the ability to work as both running and brake lights. I am really looking forward to doing this soon.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Did you have to change the directional lights to LEDs first? I'm pretty sure the OEM bulbs are single filament which would not have the ability to work as both running and brake lights. I am really looking forward to doing this soon.
No. Initial installation was with the stock 1156 (turn) and 1157 (tail) incandescent bulbs. I upgraded to LED's a couple of months later. The STP works fine with filament bulbs (including 1156 as both brake and turn) however some of the programs (patterns) will not be available (i.e., patterns 4 thru 9 on the last page here: https://www.customdynamics.com/media/wysiwyg/Modules/GEN-SMART-TPU-UNV_wpc_.pdf ).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks RickD. I will be ordering all the components and then doing this as soon as I can get the bike out of the storage shed. Great detail on what to use to do this too. Looks like it won't take long at all.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So the mud finally dried up enough to get Ole Red out of hibernation this weekend. I had everything waiting and ready to go. I made up the jumper harness ahead and it literally took just minutes to install after that. I found a great spot to mount the module on the front of the top cover for the battery/tool box. I just drilled 2 small holes in the plastic cover and secured it with a small zip tie. I opted for the flash only on the center brake lamp. The brake lamp strobe flashes pretty fast and the directionals are a little fast as well which is fine but I did notice a slight bleed over from the directionals to the opposite side and the center running lamp. Almost undiscernable but still there. I may opt for the load equalizer to see if that corrects it. Otherwise I am really happy with how simple it was to do and I really like having the extra lighting out back.

·
Registered
243 Posts
With 2 diodes and 2 resisters, you can make a single filament bulb do both functions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts