Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, ive had my vn900 classic for a couple months now, ive fitted cobra exhaust, fuelpak, and hypercharger for a bit more go but im looking for something a bit different. ive had a look around here but cant find much at all on getting a set of cams for it? it doenst seem to be the common thing getting done or i dont even know it it can be done? all help is muchly appreciated

·
Registered
72 Posts
hey guys, ive had my vn900 classic for a couple months now, ive fitted cobra exhaust, fuelpak, and hypercharger for a bit more go but im looking for something a bit different. ive had a look around here but cant find much at all on getting a set of cams for it? it doenst seem to be the common thing getting done or i dont even know it it can be done? all help is muchly appreciated
I want to get cams too, but seems like unless you own a harley your SOL :(

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yeah, I've never heard of anyone doing cams on these bikes. But I would totally order a set if they were made.

On another note, has anyone ever done a P&P on the heads? For that matter, after market heads would be nice. Or maybe even a big bore kit? Of course for the $$$ we would have been better off starting with a bigger bike in the first place.

Oooooo! Just a thought, Forged internals! Stroke and Poke that bitch!

·
Registered
84 Posts
To my knowledge, the only way to get cams for this bike is to use one of the shops that will regrind your stock cams. You'd have to come up with the lift, duration, and profile that you want. They'd add metal to the existing cam and then machine it to your specs. It's not perfect but it is a workable solution.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Of course for the $$$ we would have been better off starting with a bigger bike in the first place.
Although that may be true....its fun to build your engine to be better than stock, not to mention the 900 is comfy for me and fits me just right, so i don' want a bigger bike, i want to make THIS ONE faster. But i'm probably gonna end up going with a vrod for my next bike, i miss the power i used to have :D

·
Registered
81 Posts
Although that may be true....its fun to build your engine to be better than stock, not to mention the 900 is comfy for me and fits me just right, so i don' want a bigger bike, i want to make THIS ONE faster. But i'm probably gonna end up going with a vrod for my next bike, i miss the power i used to have :D
I love building engines. But my feeling on the matter is that if I'm gonna build something for power, I might as well start with the most powerful engine and go from there. :D:D

·
Registered
72 Posts
I love building engines. But my feeling on the matter is that if I'm gonna build something for power, I might as well start with the most powerful engine and go from there. :D:D
I understand that, my problem though is this is the only bike that fits me really well without having to spend $17k+ on a vaquero or a harley vrod/softtail (none of the dyna series fits me right for some reason, just cant get comfy). I would have exhaust/BAK and fuel processor already but usually when i get that far on performance with NO other options afterwards (except a different ride) i get bored and get rid of it for something else.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea i was affraid these where gonna be the answers! haha ahh well its not like im unhappy with the 900, just after something else i can do to it but all good! i wonder how well getting them custom ground would go, or if it would be a complete f**k up haha

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
It's the MAIN gripe about metrics.......once the engine goes......ya gotta by one from a junkyard...or second-hand on ebay......performance upgrades?????forgetaboutit. Our bikes are the bic-lighters of motorcycles. I wish some entrepreneur would establish a huge aftermarket part service for metrics....and I ain't talkin bout bling or aesthetics...maybe then we wouldn't have to throw our bikes away when something major happens.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Here's a link to the only significant performance product I know of for the VN900.

http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/kawasaki-cruisers/136089-vn900-turbo-kit.html

The guy seems to me to know what he's doing. It might, or might not, be your cup of tea.
Just spent my morning looking through every last page of that thread, in page 9 or 10 there is a pic of a turbo vrod...thats the route i am going to take...been kicking that idea around, and with people saying that if our motor goes there is no rebuilding...makes me not want to do anything extreme to the 900.

·
BOTM Winner, December 2013
1,172 Posts
i thought i read somewhere that the vn800 cams MAY work in the 900.....and supposedly the 800 has a much more agressive grind

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just spent my morning looking through every last page of that thread, in page 9 or 10 there is a pic of a turbo vrod...thats the route i am going to take...been kicking that idea around, and with people saying that if our motor goes there is no rebuilding...makes me not want to do anything extreme to the 900.
Well, I've always looked at it this way. I got my 900 for looks and comfort. If I wanted to go fast, Ida got ZX14. Right now I'm working on making my bike something that will turn heads. Later on I'll get me a crotch rocket and focus on something that is capable of loosing the cops! :D

·
Registered
343 Posts
If they keep making this bike maybe will see some after market stuff come up.That's what I loved about my xs650, Yamaha special it was out of date for over 20 years & you could still get all kinds of stuff for it, like big bore, cams, ignition. I think they made it for 15 years, but that was a awesome motor that was easy to work on.

This bike I rebuilt from the ground up. 20 over pistons,vavles,electronic ignition,monster coil, etc. That 650 was as fast as this 900 & handled great, I use to say it had flickability. If it wasn't for a semi turning in front of me I'd still have it.

Attachments

·
Registered
295 Posts
Well, I've always looked at it this way. I got my 900 for looks and comfort. If I wanted to go fast, Ida got ZX14. Right now I'm working on making my bike something that will turn heads. Later on I'll get me a crotch rocket and focus on something that is capable of loosing the cops! :D
Me, too. Looks was what sold me but I was pleasantly surprised at the power.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts