Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Custom belts and barons pulley and 230 avon

Hi guys.
Trying to find info about belt and pulley on our bikes because im using 230 avon tyre and want do pulley swap to Barons
230 avon tyre dont have enough clearence to mudguard and we need trim it.
If i try use front pulley by Baron it has bigger diameter and, if i calculate right, would shift rear wheel to front by 4.4mm. Thats impossible.
If we get jus rear pulley by Baron (damn, expensive thing) rear wheel will move 9mm to the rear.
So if we combine 2 pulleys we will shift rear wheel y 4.5mm rear.
Thats good, but expensive rear pulley makes thing bad, and dont solve problem with trimming mudguard.

So solution is to get custom belts.
Stock is 14m 153 tooth belt. Profile seems like HTD.
I found 1 supplier in China (yeah, China, but i work with them before, good belts, really).
They can do 20mm width 14mm pitch HTD belt with fiberglass reinforce in 154, 156 and 157 teeth.
Belt would cost only 32$:laugh2:

With biggest 157T belt and both pulley rear wheel would come back for 33mm!
There would be enogh clearence for mudguard, little bigger wheelbase and possibility to swap pulleys.

Any toughts?

·
Registered
476 Posts
About the only thing I could suggest is to look at the Gates website and see if there is a similar belt available in the length (number of teeth) you need. Gates is an alternative source for the standard drive belt for the VN900, though I hear it is slightly narrower than the factory belt. The cost of the standard belt from Gates is about $70 or so.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
About the only thing I could suggest is to look at the Gates website and see if there is a similar belt available in the length (number of teeth) you need. Gates is an alternative source for the standard drive belt for the VN900, though I hear it is slightly narrower than the factory belt. The cost of the standard belt from Gates is about $70 or so.
No. Gates, Continental, Goodyear dont produce such belts. Only 150, 160, 165. Very strange size Kawa choose for our bikes.
I dont worry about belt. It will be okay.
I worry about shifting rear wheel. Checked at home - 33mm is cannot be done.
Best, as i see - 156T belt, shifts rear wheel by 21mm rear. If i combine it with front Barons pulley, that gave me 5mm shift to Front - it will be about 16mm shifting to the rear.
Front pulley plus biggest 230 tyre - i think it will be good in engines rpm for cruising in town and highway about 100-100 km/h max.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Custom belts and barons pulley and 230 avon

Hi guys.
Trying to find info about belt and pulley on our bikes because im using 230 avon tyre and want do pulley swap to Barons
230 avon tyre dont have enough clearence to mudguard and we need trim it.
If i try use front pulley by Baron it has bigger diameter and, if i calculate right, would shift rear wheel to front by 4.4mm. Thats impossible.
If we get jus rear pulley by Baron (damn, expensive thing) rear wheel will move 9mm to the rear.
So if we combine 2 pulleys we will shift rear wheel y 4.5mm rear.
Thats good, but expensive rear pulley makes thing bad, and dont solve problem with trimming mudguard.

So solution is to get custom belts.
Stock is 14m 153 tooth belt. Profile seems like HTD.
I found 1 supplier in China (yeah, China, but i work with them before, good belts, really).
They can do 20mm width 14mm pitch HTD belt with fiberglass reinforce in 154, 156 and 157 teeth.
Belt would cost only 32$:laugh2:

With biggest 157T belt and both pulley rear wheel would come back for 33mm!
There would be enogh clearence for mudguard, little bigger wheelbase and possibility to swap pulleys.

Any toughts?
I have a 2015 vulcan classic I put on the front pulley had to file the cover a bit but it did lower my rpm no vibration at 70 mph anymore. Also was told the rear pulley is very noisy and not worth the money. If you only do the front you don’t have to get a new belt

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a 2015 vulcan classic I put on the front pulley had to file the cover a bit but it did lower my rpm no vibration at 70 mph anymore. Also was told the rear pulley is very noisy and not worth the money. If you only do the front you don’t have to get a new belt
You have stock tyres?
I have 230 Avon, i trimed mudguard to fit it. If i change front pooley - it absolutely cant stand in place with stock belt.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts