Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, the good news is that I was able to use a backout drill to remove the screw I ruined the first time I tried to remove my stock air filter. The bad news is that when I removed the filter it was really dirty so I had to buy a new one and that cost $35 + tax!!!!!:mad: I swear, the guy at the local bike shop didn't even kiss me. But I sure feel screwed. Okay, I know, bikes are like women, EXPENSIVE!

So now I am thinking that a lifetime filter may just pay for itself. But I am concerned about the way these custom filters work. My stock filter seems to pull air from between the jugs, through the filter and up into the intake. All is covered by a gasketed housing. This is a rather long route, but it seems that water has no way to get into the intake. I have looked at the Arlen Ness and Baron custom filters. They both look like the filter is open 360 degrees around the side and water should just pour on in to the intake area if the bike is left out in or ridden in the rain. Are these custom filter kits just for show bikes or is there more than I can see here. Please comment.

·
Registered
306 Posts
may want to look at the new s&s air cleaner it seem to be a little more sealed up then the others. looks just like the ones they use on their motors

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have the Baron's and yes it is open all around. It comes with a "raincoat", looks like a garter, but it does the job. I ran around Laconia for 2 days in the rain, highway and town, and the bike never missed a beat. Obviously you want to have it clean and oiled very regularly, and definately as soon as you can after a ride in significant rain.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the Baron's and yes it is open all around. It comes with a "raincoat", looks like a garter, but it does the job. I ran around Laconia for 2 days in the rain, highway and town, and the bike never missed a beat. Obviously you want to have it clean and oiled very regularly, and definately as soon as you can after a ride in significant rain.

I am hoping you check this thread again. Does the rain coat stay on all the time or is it just something you put on when it rains?

·
Registered
141 Posts
The raincoat is like an elastic sock that goes over the filter if you get caught in the rain. When its sunny, you can just leave it off and let the chrome shine and enjoy the unrestricted air.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does no one make a lifetime filter or something that will attach to the stock air box? I mean, $35 - $40 every 7500 miles is a bit ridiculous. There has got to be enough pricing room in there for an aftermarket version. Not to mention that this is one of the most popular bikes to come around in a while and it is in its 4th year. You would think Fram or K&N or UNI or someone would have a knock-off. I guess I am just ranting. Ignore me if you think I am nuts.

·
Registered
306 Posts
no your not nuts.....but the air filter companys seem to feel that the 900 is too small an engine to make any sucnificant gains with an air filter so they just havent bothered.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts