Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience with replacing the cush drive pucks on their 1700?

My tech finally had my voyager out to listen for an annoying tuck tuck tuck tuck sound at HOT idle. Says I'm nuts, Vtwins make noises. Ignore it.

BUT, he did notice driveline lash and suspects the cush drive is worn. I ride assertively, not hooligan. What sort of life is expected on this. The pucks ain't cheap... $24 x 6 of them.

He's also going to be checking around the final drive for nonsense.

Who has experience with this and can chime in.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Interesting. I am not a motorcycle engine mechanic but I've never heard those terms before. I have no idea as to what you're referring to.

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
@vn750guy, he's talking about the rubber dampeners in the rear wheel.
@otter, I think the only way to know if they need replacement is to check the rotational play in gear, and do a visual inspection of them. I would think 1/8" or less rotational play would be appropriate. I don't know what the "typical" life of those are, but I haven't seen many comments about replacing them, so I would think they normally last for a very long time.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was going to order a set before the bike sees its end of season service, but they're saying, "whoa...no". Guys with 50000 miles + are chiming in that theirs are absolutely fine. I don't feel like paying a restocking fee if I don't need it.

Could be is my tech rides sport bikes and doesn't throw a leg over a 1700 every day. It may feel absolutely sloppy to him. I've always notice a bit of lash, but I've seen it as incentive to modulate the throttle properly.

I'll have him check the cush drive, belt tension and final drive before she goes away for the winter. May be nothing at all.

·
Registered
314 Posts
When I moved from my 900 to the Nomad I noticed a significant difference in the amount of driveline lash, which took awhile to get used to. The Nomad was new, so I assume the amount of lash on the 1700's is normal. 35K on mine now and I can't say it's any different than when it was new.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Ah, ok now I know what you are referring to. I always thought that if you parked the bike in a field and came back a million years from now, that was the part that you'd still find intact.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I was going to order a set before the bike sees its end of season service, but they're saying, "whoa...no". Guys with 50000 miles + are chiming in that theirs are absolutely fine. I don't feel like paying a restocking fee if I don't need it.

Could be is my tech rides sport bikes and doesn't throw a leg over a 1700 every day. It may feel absolutely sloppy to him. I've always notice a bit of lash, but I've seen it as incentive to modulate the throttle properly.

I'll have him check the cush drive, belt tension and final drive before she goes away for the winter. May be nothing at all.
If the VN1700 instruction is anything like the VN2000 instruction, there is no quantified wear tolerance nor is there a recommended mileage or calendar time service/replacement interval.

The instruction in the service manual is simply a visual inspection qualified only as "Replace the damper if it appears worn or deteriorated."

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
Over 50k on mine. They are fine, but I check every rear tire change. Visual inspection and see if the hub does not feel looser than normal from the hub housing. Plus clean them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts