Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting the bike yesterday, it did not get into higher idling as usual before
settling down lower after a couple of minutes.
Riding on and 2 minutes later at a stop, idling went down to around 800rpms then the engine stopped. I restarted and it went straight into high revs, around 2500 rpms without me touching the throttle.
The only thing I could do was to put it in gear and ride, it went down after a minute. It repeated this at the next set of light then all ok all the way home 22kms away.
Did the same again this morning on my way to work but it seems that when warm the bike settles steady at 1050rpms and all is ok.
I did fit a tacho just before having this issue but it is working fine, also finding that it was idling to high I set it down lower using the idling button, a few turns,
perhaps it was set too low...
Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Starting the bike yesterday, it did not get into higher idling as usual before
settling down lower after a couple of minutes.
Riding on and 2 minutes later at a stop, idling went down to around 800rpms then the engine stopped. I restarted and it went straight into high revs, around 2500 rpms without me touching the throttle.
The only thing I could do was to put it in gear and ride, it went down after a minute. It repeated this at the next set of light then all ok all the way home 22kms away.
Did the same again this morning on my way to work but it seems that when warm the bike settles steady at 1050rpms and all is ok.
I did fit a tacho just before having this issue but it is working fine, also finding that it was idling to high I set it down lower using the idling button, a few turns,
perhaps it was set too low...
Any ideas?
Is the FI light flashing any code while your engine is spitting the dummy? I would also check the battery connections to be sure they are sound.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the FI light flashing any code while your engine is spitting the dummy? I would also check the battery connections to be sure they are sound.
Hi Sojourner,

Thanks for the reply and advices.
Actually I did not notice anything special with the FI light when the engine died. Also the FI is on as usual when pushing the start knob, goes on red and then shuts off as usual.
After the misadventures of the other day I did krank up the idling speed a bit.
This morning it did the high revs as usual to settle down a few minutes later to just slightly under 1000rpms, then I adjusted it up a bit more to what I believe is 1050rpms (this is when the tacho comes handy).
Then I was on my way and no problems for the 22 kms riding to work and same to go back home.
I believe I did turn the idling knob way down too much the first time. This thing is pretty "sensitive" I am not expert but I believe the 900 idling speed should not be set at under 1000rpms, at below 900 the engine is either starved of air or petrol and dies, when restarting, the FI believes it has to provide more...(running too slow could also starve the engine of oil as one forum member stated). 1050rpms is still lower than when I first had the bike, but I feel the gears are easier to shift and the bike rides better, I also went back to using 91 oct. petrol instead of 98, again the bike runs better and less misfiring from the exhaust.
So I will see what happens tomorrow morning.
Cheers

1 - 3 of 3 Posts