Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Car Tire Update --Eric & KingArthur or anyone

Well I got back last night late. It was a total of 1325 miles with a lot of stops to recirculate myself. :( At 42psi that tire was so great from hair pin turns to 80mph curves. Only a couple of new things to tell you. I did do some panic stops when condition was wright and it was excelent. My actual MPG was 36 (all highway) and the on-board PC said everything from 39 - 42. The bike ran flawlessly with temp running one mark below center. Now I did try something since I read about if the air vents are closed that it would run cooler. At lease at 75mph it makes NO difference. Tomorrow I will measure the tread deapth for wear.
SOooo--- For those that have not heard me say it. "I will stick with the CT for the rest of my days" :p

·
Registered
48 Posts
I had a CT On my Stratoliner that I just traded in. I put 20k on that tire. After going back to a Bike with a MT I am going to say that I will not be going to the DarkSide on the Vaquero. I'm glad to see your happy with it, Going to the DS is not for everyone.

Have you noticed how it fights you in slow speeds and uneven terrain? Thats where I always had the most problems with the CT.

·
Registered
35 Posts
It looks like the CT is the way to go. My question is,where is everyone going to have these tires mounted? I can't imagine most bike dealers being willing to do this.

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It looks like the CT is the way to go. My question is,where is everyone going to have these tires mounted? I can't imagine most bike dealers being willing to do this.
Well, the best thing to do is to ask. As far as dealers go some will and some won't.
I got mine done at a local bike shop, not a dealer.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
:D

As far as the dealership I bought my VV from in Vegas, they are not opposed CT's but they will not mount one.

But same as David, my local cycle shop would put on a wagon wheel if I found one that would fit. I ordered my replacement tire yesterday I just hope I can wait till the original rear needs changing.

David did you up your rear shock settings any? I always have to up it quite a bit if it is adjustable as I have always found that the CT is more "cushy" and I like a stiff ride. I guess I like "feeling" all those granules of asphalt, cracks, and tar snakes are my favorite. I run over those on purpose in a curve just to make the wife appreciate my riding prowess more... the more it feels like it slips a foot or so.... the more I like it....:cool:

(because it really doesn't "slip" any, it just "moves" like a rubber joint when the tire applies pressure on it) I did power turnarounds on them all the time when I was a working stiff. Not once did I ever make a tar snake come loose from the pavement.

When she is on one of her 3 motorcycles she will not run over one unless she has to...

Doing web searches I find there are a lot more groups talking about their CT's now days with the convenience of the internet. . Looks like the Goldwing crowd does it a lot. I had on on my '83. Could not find one for the '83 Silverwing.

Thanks for the info David......

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No Bubba, actually I forgot to. I had planed to up it to 3. But it was left on 2.I did add air in them though. 20 lbs cause I had a lot of stuff on board. I thought it rode very nice. Hey did you order the Dunlop? And how much was it?

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Yep... ordered the Dunlop through my local tire guy. No idea what it will cost, but he always treats me good...

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep... ordered the Dunlop through my local tire guy. No idea what it will cost, but he always treats me good...
Hey. when are you going to put your mug in there as an avatar? I did it.:eek:

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Hey. when are you going to put your mug in there as an avatar? I did it
UGH!!!!!!!!! NEVER...... As the saying goes.... For myself I don't mind it, for I am behind it, but its those out front that gets the jar.....

nothing to look at folks.... move along....

·
Registered
113 Posts
I picked up the Dunlop for about $151. Have around 1400 on it and would not go back to a MC tire. Uped the setting on the shocks to 4 and like the ride.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Its just like those strawberry sundaes in a cup that you can get in the ice creme section at the grocery store, comes 8-10 to a pack.

Peel the cardboard top off, and sprinkle crushed BBQ potato chips on it...

I LOVE them............ :clap:

Its no different from a car tire on the back of a motorcycle....

Don't knock it til you try it...... because when you do, you will find you like it ..... and will want more.... :cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts