Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spring is upon us...and changing the oil in our nine's is upon us too.
Just a reminder about the crush washer on the drain bolt. It will often stick to the bottom of the oil pan....then fall into the drain pan. If u forget to "fish" it out of the drain pan and then put your drain bolt back in and tighten...u run the risk of oil-leakage...and or wrong torgue which could lead to the dreaded thread strippage that everybody worries about. Just a friendly reminder guys/gals!
Ride safe!
Regards, S.H.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Crush washer

Thanks for the reminder. I actually found a great local honda dealer, Fox Valley Cycles, in Aurora, IL, who attaches one to each filter when I buy them. Great reminder and a fresh crush washer is used each oil change.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Decided to "bump" this as I just read somebody lost their crush washer in the drain pan. One can't underestimate the risk of over-torquing with no crush washer taking up tolerance and stripping the treads in the oil pan. I've seen it happen! A friend of mine kept having a small leak....knew nothing of the crush gasket as it had dropped into the drain-pan....and out of frustration over tightened the bolt to "stop" the leak.....he ended up with stripped threads and a BIG hastle on his hands....It's an easy mistake if you don't realize you've lost the crush washer!!!!

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Poignant reminder! PLUS, remember if you re-use a crush washer, flip it. Even frugal me won't use one more than twice, though, as when it's compressed it loses it's "tolerance".

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Poignant reminder! PLUS, remember if you re-use a crush washer, flip it. Even frugal me won't use one more than twice, though, as when it's compressed it loses it's "tolerance".
Pretz...u shouldn't flip it.....then the indented side will be against the oil pan face....u need the flat side so it's flush. Better to use it twice without flipping.
Regards-sh.
It's been my experience that the crush "dents" on the nut side of the bolt.....however, u could be right as well!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts