Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello vulcaneers. I'm trying to help a colleague from this Brazilian Vulcan S forum I've joined.
We are about 3300 KVS lovers around the country.

His Cruising Range display does not work and is frozen at - - - - position.
All the pilot's resetable functions were already reset (by the way, the number of advises for resetting the regular functions were so great we had a fight between brothers 馃槰)
All the others functions are fine.
We think his instrument panel is burnt out.

The other possibility is that KVS operational system is Windows and rebooting may solve the problem.

Before dealing with the devil to buy a new very expensive one, please... any homemade tips?
I mean, is there some sort of hidden circuit he can use?

Disconnecting battery is a real solution (is not enough to turn the key off?)

Remember this is a sunny country and regular humidity is very fine. So, statistic charge sparks issues aren't common for us.

Premium Member
If you are talking about the range display (as in how many miles/kilometers you have left in the tank) it won't give a readout once the fuel gets low enough. If I recall correctly at approx. 20 miles remaining it will stop giving a readout until you put more fuel in.

Registered
I got mine down into the single digits once...haven't made that mistake again but I do recall seeing a single digit and hoping I'd make it to the next gas station.

I did make it to the station and it was the most expensive fill up I ever had on the bike...LOL

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys.
However, this old nerd :nerd: has already instructed him to check all the variables used by the internal computer, including the minimum level of fuel.
In fact, I made him a comprehensive checklist that is 100 times larger than the text found in the Kawakaki owner's manual. :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Registered
he's in Brazil, they don't do miles

Registered
Possibly a dumb question, but has he tried simply unplugging the connector at the back of the instrument cluster to see if that resets it? If it does not, my guess is that the problem is in the ECM and not in the gauge itself since it is displaying something rather than just being blank.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
he's in Brazil, they don't do miles
Yes, it's true. In Brazil we use the metric system.
But do not worry about it.
My group has already made trips with more than 12,000 km (7456,4543 miles approximately - LOL :nerd:).
Then, miles, meters, centimeters, millimeters, light years etc. Any kind of unit we can eat with our KVS:devil2:.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Possibly a dumb question, but has he tried simply unplugging the connector at the back of the instrument cluster to see if that resets it? If it does not, my guess is that the problem is in the ECM and not in the gauge itself since it is displaying something rather than just being blank.

It's not all a dumb question.
In fact, unplugging the entire system is one of the alternatives I suggested last night. I do not think he's done it yet.

But, let's say it's like Windows... turn off, get out, get in and turn on again:devil2::devil2::devil2:.

Keep thinking, my friends. Vulcaneers are a big family.

Premium Member
Funny

That this thread got started, On my bike it would never read and then 1 day while riding ( engine running ) i was rolling through the display and the range popped up. but it only displays when I am riding the scooter. I figured that the design was that way. go figure.:surprise:

Registered
Unplugging the ECU won't do anything since it has internal ROM which stores all the pertinent information which can't be erased. Why not just take it to the dealer and have the check it out instead of worrying and trying things that will never work

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
That this thread got started, On my bike it would never read and then 1 day while riding ( engine running ) i was rolling through the display and the range popped up. but it only displays when I am riding the scooter. I figured that the design was that way. go figure.:surprise:
But neither is the case. It was attempted to unfreeze the display also in motion.
But thank you for sharing your curious experience.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Unplugging the ECU won't do anything since it has internal ROM which stores all the pertinent information which can't be erased. Why not just take it to the dealer and have the check it out instead of worrying and trying things that will never work
It is true that the internal ROM saves relevant information. However, the autonomy is not retained because it is the result of cyclical calculations updated every 20 seconds (elementary information of the owner's manual and the basic design that any trainee engineer applies to this type of device).

But, wow, asking the dealer is such a fantastic, clever and unique idea that it did not happen to anyone. I'm stunned.

Ohhh Surprise! Kawasaki also never saw anything like it and suggested changing the whole set. Ohhh! Another surprise! Why do we know that the device costs a significant fortune? Mystery....

Dear colleague, if you do not know, do not underestimate my intelligence. Other good volunteers from this forum are thinking of how to help.

Registered
Obviously, you are Super Intelligent and have already tried everything anyone could possibly think of. So only two logical choices remain. 1.) Replace the Dash Display or 2.) don't worry about it and learn to live with it since it isn't really a necessary part of the display and never has been all that accurate to start with. Oh, I forgot option 3.) Hit it with a Hammer and pray for a miracle.

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
Obviously, you are Super Intelligent and have already tried everything anyone could possibly think of. So only two logical choices remain. 1.) Replace the Dash Display or 2.) don't worry about it and learn to live with it since it isn't really a necessary part of the display and never has been all that accurate to start with. Oh, I forgot option 3.) Hit it with a Hammer and pray for a miracle.
Well, there's no reason for us both to be upset about something silly like that.
Let's say this never happened. Have a nice day.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
Please allow me to gather the data obtained till now thanks to the cooperation of colleagues in the USA, Chile and Brazil (main reason for the existence of discussion forums):
- The owner is hundreds of miles from me and he likes the cruising range function (personal decision that we all respect);
- Resellers charged the owner up to $ 1,750 for a new set (labor costs and legal recertification costs for the new odometer not included);
- All other functions have been verified / reset and operate correctly;
- The cruising range function is recalculated every 20 seconds (not memorized by the internal circuit);
- The owner is asking if there is any simple alternative (eg some hidden pin or any non docummented tricky "magic" for reset);
- If there is no solution, the owner is aware that it will be less expensive to forget that this function exists.

Thank you very much.
God bless your rides.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts