Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As suggested by Helek 52, I am starting a new thread for this. Cruiserone, who is one of our Austrailian ambassadors, made up the beautiful cover shown below using a stock air box cover and an aftermarket HD air filter cap that he got for $14 on E-bay down under. This $14 may be in Ausie Dollars, but that is currently trading close to the US dollar.

Anyway, the question I have is for more details on the mod as well as a link or some way of finding this sweet looking cap online. Here is hoping Cruiserone reads this and points us all in the right direction. Thanks in advance. And either way, it is a sweet looking cap.

PS- If anyone else has done this with a similar but different cap, give details and post pics.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
I like the lines of that, kinda blends in with the cylinder fins, looks nice, good job, thanks.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
1945 (Batis) put a HD cap onto his cover too, but the one he used is no longer available. You can see it in this post: Air in/Air out
Having seen two of these on our covers leads me to believe that, with a little work, there must be a number of these caps that will look nice on our bikes.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Ok here we go
Goty mine from EPay (can't really remember if it was com.au or only com. Whatever ..

I paid 14.00 AUD for it and the "dealer" was Harleyparts (on Ebay)

At first I cut out just the 900 emblem on the stock cover but found out it will not have a nice smooth fit - so I went a step further and drilled holes around the course ring and then used a jigsaw with a fine blade to tidy the edges up.

Then I used a piece of aluminum bar that I found in the shed (30 mm wide and 2 mm thick), bend it to shape and drilled a hole in the center to use the supplied chrome bolt.

After that I made sure the grooves in the cover are horizontal and used a good load of normal Silicon. Just let it really cure for a day to make sure the cover has a snug fit and it is air tight !!
Then install the plastic/chrome cover back on the bike and you're done !!

Pretty easy to do and it gives the bike a better look (never liked the 900 sign on the stock cover btw)

But there are a lot more covers on the market (Jack Daniels i.e.) just search air cleaner insert .....

Cheers

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you Cruiserone! You are the bomb. Even if you are currently asleep as I type this. :D

·
Registered
166 Posts
Attention people !!!!

The Ebay shop I bought that cover off was Harleyparts inc (maybe Harleypartz inc) or similar NOT bikertoys. Just search for air cover inserts or air cleaner inserts ...

Sorry about the wrong info .....

Cheers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts