Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Darkarcher, try some lowers. You will be amazed how much those cut down on buffeting. But you'll never completely get rid of the buffeting. A fairing will help a lot; but I've NEVER ridden a cruiser with any combination of windshield/fairing/etc., that is as smooth as a sportbike or sport tourer in the wind (unless the bike had NO windshield but then, you have wind blast to deal with!). That leaned forward position does wonders for getting rid of the turbulent air beating on your head. Fairings seem to help the most though.

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
When I had a windshield on my 800 at times it felt like someone was shaking my head front to back, especially at higher speeds and in interstate traffic. When it got really bad I just tucked my head below the top of the shield and and it was gone. I just ended up getting used to it until I took it off completely.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm starting to wonder if there are differences in the 900 engines such that some are smoother than others ... Too many differing opinions on buzziness and when riders shift into 5th .

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
I'm starting to wonder if there are differences in the 900 engines such that some are smoother than others ... Too many differing opinions on buzziness and when riders shift into 5th .
It's all about personal opinion. What one might consider smooth someone else might consider too much vibration. I've ridden bikes that vibrated at such a high frequency that after 20 minutes my hands, legs and butt were tingling like your hands might after running a gas powered weed eater at high speed for 20 minutes. I've rode Harleys with the "potato potato" style of idle that while it sounded good, didn't feel the best to me, and then some bikes where I didn't feel anything relating. Others who rode the same bikes had different experiences than I did. For instance, I don't think my bike is buzzy. If you rode it, you might think it is. Vibrations don't come from just the motor. They can also come from the tires being way out of balance, as well as road inconsistencies, etc. Just my humble opinion.

·
Registered
136 Posts
The first thing that gives it away the classic Lt is not a touring bike is the light touring. Is the 9 capable of it yes, but you can't expect it to perform like the big bikes. Hell I've taken long trips on a 73 Honda 500. Was it capable yes if you rode it like the bike it was. And my dad and his buddies always said they rode the trips they did on that size of bike or a 750 not because they were trying to make it a touring bike but because it is what they had.
And if you ask then why do they make fairing and saddlebags and trunks for the 9 if its not meant to be a touring bike? Simple they know people will buy them.
As far buzzy mine will ride at 70 mph and it feels smooth to me and still has plenty go left. Although I prefer to keep it in the 50 to 60 mph range, just like cruising along at that speed.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Too many differing opinions on buzziness and when riders shift into 5th .
its all about riding styles .... I never shift into 5th at 65 mph .... then again I also do not ride at 85 mph .... probably the reason why I do not get any vibration. Higher speeds mean higher rpm's ... higher rpms equals vibration ... on any 2 cylinder bike.

·
Living The Dream
1,512 Posts
Many of us have also installed the overdrive pulleys front and back, they drop the rpms at cruising speed. Changes the whole feel of the 900, and many of us feel that is the way they should have come from the factory. But to others the stock configuration is just fine as well. Personal preference.

·
BOTM Winner, October 2015
476 Posts
The 1700LT (light tourer?) was my move from my 60-70 mile radius bike to one that I can ride all day. Plus it two-ups far better.

OLD

NEW

It's not the beast ElectraGlide my brother rides. I like the size. It's my daily commuter too.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I had a 06 900LT with a fairing and fork lowers and more see pix...Hated riding faster then 60MPH on it, I could go fasted just do not like too.

And at the same time a 1200 Bandit Sport touring bike, with hard bags, tall windshield and 2" raisers, etc...This bike I could not ride slow, hated going under 45MPH and loved going from A to B fast (not saying how fast but 20 over speed limit was still too slow) see pix below<BR>

Ended up selling both and making one bike that did everything I like to do....<BR>

And now that the Nomad is done, I hurt my back and can only ride it EZ around town.....

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Just spent some of this weekend riding around the local area, staying close to town and also a fair amount of riding in town. I love, love, love the way this bike handles in traffic. So, while I may not bee too thrilled going on longer rides, the shorter ones are just fantastic. I even had a chance to lay on the horns today. I got the desired head jerk and steering wheel clench. :D

·
Registered
51 Posts
The first thing that gives it away the classic Lt is not a touring bike is the light touring. Is the 9 capable of it yes, but you can't expect it to perform like the big bikes. Hell I've taken long trips on a 73 Honda 500. Was it capable yes if you rode it like the bike it was. And my dad and his buddies always said they rode the trips they did on that size of bike or a 750 not because they were trying to make it a touring bike but because it is what they had.
And if you ask then why do they make fairing and saddlebags and trunks for the 9 if its not meant to be a touring bike? Simple they know people will buy them.
As far buzzy mine will ride at 70 mph and it feels smooth to me and still has plenty go left. Although I prefer to keep it in the 50 to 60 mph range, just like cruising along at that speed.
I agree with Mex. I've ridden a lot of 500 and 650cc bikes on trips. People used to tour on those machines all the time. But you stated your preferences. You want to get there and and make good time. You just have to try different machines and see what's best for you.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you are looking to travel at 75 to 80 mph for hours on end in comfort .... the 900 is not for you
I've recently gotten a 900 Classic, but I'm finding that my favorite rides are long distance treks with my brother (he's on a Concours). I love my 900, but I'm concerned that it may not be well (or I won't be) trying to take on trips in the 5-6,000 mile range. Maybe I should be looking at trading to a Nomad or something else?

·
Registered
311 Posts
While we are replying to 5 year old posts I just thought I would throw this in here.

If the VN900 don't float yer boat there are a lot of options out there.

This guy did a 6000 mile trip from Utah to Alaska on an 18hp Yamaha TW200.

Consider the following for your next long distance bike purchase.
2000 mile radius trip fast, sometimes on just the rear wheel: Kawasaki Z900RS
2000 mile radius trip, sometimes on fireroads: Triumph Tiger 1200
2000 mile radius trip, sometimes sleeping on your roadcouch en route: Yamaha Venture

·
Registered
14 Posts
No where in this thread has anybody mentioned the Kawasaki Voyager. Good smooth power, great wind protection, and one of the best stock seats in the industry. Great aftermarket support. AND, you don't have to take a second mortgage to buy new. I paid $10k for a 2017 this past Dec. IMHO

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I love my 900, and my plan was to put a batwing and possibly a Mustang seat on it (I'm riding on an Airhawk cushion now). I'm just concerned that the bike (or me on that bike) won't be up to a trip like that.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I did 500km on stock seat in a day: no problem but close to limit for me.
I did 800km on Rich's Custom seat in a day: no problem but arrived at my destination so ended! Could have gone on.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I love my 900, and my plan was to put a batwing and possibly a Mustang seat on it (I'm riding on an Airhawk cushion now). I'm just concerned that the bike (or me on that bike) won't be up to a trip like that.
What do you want us to tell you? The bike is surely up for it. You, maybe not.

In Texas you don't see many medium size bikes, like the VN900, 100 miles away from any city in the middle of nowhere.
Not because of any of the VN900 shortcomings, but because if you are REALLY gonna travel, you have to buy a bike with "Cruise Control", (not throttle locks), and integrated luggage.
Folks with the money buy large Harley's, Honda's, Yamaha's, Indian's, etc. for road use.
The VN900 is sometimes relegated to 2nd bike status for around town use. The 2nd bike status sometimes outmiles their primary 1st large road-bike in mileage as it is used most often.
On occasion the VN900 will be used on a long road trip.

If you are gonna start hyper-mileing on the interstates... get a bigger bike.

Like the Yamaha TW200 that went on a 6000 mile roadtrip, the VN900 can surely do the miles easier than the TW200. A Goldwing can do the miles easier than a VN900, and a Camry can do the miles easier than all of them.

·
Registered
311 Posts
No where in this thread has anybody mentioned the Kawasaki Voyager.
The Voyager has a tendency to head-shake if you take you hands off the bars. This means that you can't catch a nap while en route, like you can with the Venture..

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well, I love my 900, so as long as it's capable, I think I'll keep riding that and do what I can to increase my physical and mental capability to do longer and longer trips. When and if I feel I've taken my physical capabilities as far as I safely can, I'll consider a bigger bike, but I enjoy the 9 very much and want to work with that if I can. Thanks for all the good feedback.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts