Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question. I just became the proud owner of a 2019 Vaquero. This is my first bike with cruise control. I was riding in 5th gear and set the cruise at around 50mph. All was well then I shifted to 6th and slowly increased speed. The cruise disengaged as I expected but now it won’t reset. I tried multiple times to set it but no luck. I turned off the system and turned it back on and tried again with no luck. The system light comes on and the set light came on the first time I set it but it won’t set now.
Any advise, is there a fuse or something?
Thanks in advance for responses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
My '17 Vaquero has done this a couple times. I now spray some contact cleaner into all the handlebar switches a couple times a year and haven't had it happen again. Good luck. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Quick question. I just became the proud owner of a 2019 Vaquero. This is my first bike with cruise control. I was riding in 5th gear and set the cruise at around 50mph. All was well then I shifted to 6th and slowly increased speed. The cruise disengaged as I expected but now it won’t reset. I tried multiple times to set it but no luck. I turned off the system and turned it back on and tried again with no luck. The system light comes on and the set light came on the first time I set it but it won’t set now.

Here is the info from the Shop Manual for the cruise control.

Cruise Control

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ive seen others including myself having an issue with the foot brake and cruise control. I mine stopped working and on the advice of others (and the local dealer) simply stepped firmly on the brake and released. fixed the problem. Good luck

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Dirt can get in the micro-switches and prevent normal operation. It's a common fault. At best a little contact cleaner will sort it, if not you might have to adjust the switch for better contact. Use the diagnostic posted by JD Hog to figure out which switch is causing the issue. The most common two affected in my experience are the ones on the rear brake pedal, and on the clutch lever.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update:
I figured out the cruise control. Using the pdf JD Hog posted, I went through the steps to see which switch was acting up. It was the throttle stop cancel switch located behind the throttle body. Remove the air box to get to it and cleaned it with contact cleaner. Hardest part was putting the air box hose back on without removing the fuel tank. Not much room to wiggle that thing back in to place. Anyway, I took it out for a test and it works as designed. I tested all the switches (all 7 of them) and all work well.
Thanks for the help all.

·
Registered
2012 nomad
8 Posts

My 1700 Nomad did the same thing turned out to be the 5 amp fuse.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Update:
I figured out the cruise control. Using the pdf JD Hog posted, I went through the steps to see which switch was acting up. It was the throttle stop cancel switch located behind the throttle body. Remove the air box to get to it and cleaned it with contact cleaner. Hardest part was putting the air box hose back on without removing the fuel tank. Not much room to wiggle that thing back in to place. Anyway, I took it out for a test and it works as designed. I tested all the switches (all 7 of them) and all work well.
Thanks for the help all.

this is my issue, it's giving me a flashing #1 on the diagnostics

did you have to take the entire TB off or just a small wrench to get it?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
this is my issue, it's giving me a flashing #1 on the diagnostics

did you have to take the entire TB off or just a small wrench to get it?
I didn’t remove the TB at all. I removed the right side air box and the switch is on the bottom of the throttle cable wheel. I used electric contact cleaner spray and sprayed it down. Roll off throttle all the way forward and you will see where the switch is contacted. You should be able to hear it click as you turn the throttle all the way forward and back. After letting it dry a little go through the diagnostic process again.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I didn’t remove the TB at all. I removed the right side air box and the switch is on the bottom of the throttle cable wheel. I used electric contact cleaner spray and sprayed it down. Roll off throttle all the way forward and you will see where the switch is contacted. You should be able to hear it click as you turn the throttle all the way forward and back. After letting it dry a little go through the diagnostic process again.

I did have the airbox off and looked at the switch but didn't want to pull it off as I was riding last week.

I rolled throttle on and closed but noticed nothing moving or making/leaving contact with the switch itself.

oh well, looks like a weekend project :D

·
Registered
379 Posts
Welp, figured it out. That little tab was constantly on the switch making contact. That's why it was registering a faulty switch. Took it off and ran diagnostics, everything passed. Put it back on and it failed.

So I grabbed my needle nose pliers and ever so gently leveraged against the TB and bent it down only a minute amount. Ran diagnostics again and passed. I have to fully roll forward on the throttle but realistically I'd use the brake or clutch to cancel so I'm not worried.

Didn't have time to test as it's midnight but hopefully tomorrow I can get a short run in.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Welp, figured it out. That little tab was constantly on the switch making contact. That's why it was registering a faulty switch. Took it off and ran diagnostics, everything passed. Put it back on and it failed.

So I grabbed my needle nose pliers and ever so gently leveraged against the TB and bent it down only a minute amount. Ran diagnostics again and passed. I have to fully roll forward on the throttle but realistically I'd use the brake or clutch to cancel so I'm not worried.

Didn't have time to test as it's midnight but hopefully tomorrow I can get a short run in.
Glad you got it figured out. Now get on that horse and ride.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts