Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, has anybody had a problem with the cruise control not engaging. Couple times over the last few months my cruise control would not engage. The yellow light would be on indicating the cruise control power was turned on but when you try to set it at speed (40-75 mph) it would not set. turned power on and off multiple times and just would not set. Only thing that worked is had to pull over and turn the bike off restart and then it worked fine which is ok I guess just annoying. Anyway I'm just wondering is this a common problem or is there something wrong and I need to take it back to the dealer before the warranty runs out.

·
Registered
676 Posts
The usual culprit for cruise control issues is the sensor at the rear brake pedal needing a slight adjustment. There's a diagnostic procedure in the manual which will give you a code to show what's wrong.

·
Registered
214 Posts
As "PEG" wrote before. Adjust of the rear brake pedal sensor OR a little dirt, small stone between the contacts, so the cruise thinks, brake is applied and doesnt engage.

Cu,
Sven

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
The handle bar sensors are very tight on my Vaquero. A couple of times I've killed the cruise resting my hand on the clutch. I was probably feeling the freeplay and bam!, engine brake. I'll have to check that and the front brake sensor.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I've noticed that if my gear indicator is not showing the proper gear that the bike is actually in, the cruise won't set. I give the gear shift pedal a nudge till it shows the proper gear and the cruise control works.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Awesome

I just parked my bike for the winter but the last few days riding the cruise wouldn't engage. I just thought it was the cold. The temps here have all been under 7 deg C.

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
Moisture will prevent the handlebar switch from engaging. After riding in the rain, I sometimes have to let it dry out before it will engage. Just condensation, going from cooler to warm, moist air will probably do it, too. It is the only switch that is affected by rain on my bike.

·
Registered
328 Posts
The usual culprit for cruise control issues is the sensor at the rear brake pedal needing a slight adjustment. There's a diagnostic procedure in the manual which will give you a code to show what's wrong.
+1 on the rear sensor. When I first got my Nomad, the cruise would engage when first starting out, but after using the rear brake a few times the cruise would stop engaging. It turned out to the rear brake sensor too. Googling this shows it to be a fairly common problem. A little adjustment and I haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had the same problem only once. I was coming back from NC (800 mile trip), I usually ride tank to tank. So I filled up and when I'm in the highway again the cruise control won't engage. Tried multiple times, switched on and off an nothing. Then at the next gas stop I filled up again, then in the highway I tried an it worked. It's been working flawlessly since then. The thing about the rear brake is a good tip, I'll check next time. If the brake sensor is engaged, it should be easy to check, just push it and release and see if the stop light turns on and off.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Not sure about the rear, but the front has 2 switches on the brake lever. 1 for the light, and 1 for the cruise.

·
Registered
36 Posts
is this a common problem or is there something wrong and I need to take it back to the dealer before the warranty runs out.
I ALWAYS have the dealer do ALL repairs while the bike is under warranty.

I had the same problem with my cruise control [CC] back in July (I bought a left-over 2016 Vulcan Vaquero earlier this year).

The first time the CC failed to engage the dealership said it was due to a blown fuse and they fixed it for me. A few weeks later it happened again and they said it was the same thing and offered to replace the fuse for me. I had to insist they correct why this kept happening. Turns out it was a faulty wiring harness from Kawasaki, which they replaced at no charge to me, but they had my bike for over a week in the summer. Oh well, it was worth it because it hasn't failed since then.

Love my Vaquero, love riding it; just wish the stock radio and speakers were louder and more powerful---that will be my next upgrade

·
Registered
214 Posts
Not sure about the rear, but the front has 2 switches on the brake lever. 1 for the light, and 1 for the cruise.
Rear also, one for the light and one for the cruise !

Light switch above the foot rest
cruise switch below the foot rest

Cu,
Sven

·
Registered
388 Posts
That was my issue after I got Tia back from the repair shop. A very simple adjustment once I figured out just where the switch was.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hey guys,
One more area to check if those all valid ones listed by everyone else don't correct the issue. there is also a disengage switch which will not allow the cruise to set. The switch is on the clutch side. look for the micro switch. spray clean with electronic contact cleaner.

103000 miles and still cruising on the dark side. :)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yes, the clutch lever has a disengage switch too. There’s also one on the throttle cable so if you manually roll off the throttle it will kill the cruise. There are 4 in all

1 - 16 of 16 Posts