Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the bike back today, and while out and about, I found that my cruise control would not engage. The little yellow light in the console comes on, but attempting to set it at speed does nothing. No little green light or anything.

·
Registered
328 Posts
On my 2014 there is a self-diagnostic process that is described in the shop manual for the cruise control which might help. On my Nomad, the cruise would stop engaging after awhile on rides. It turned out the rear brake cc switch wasn't properly adjusted from the factory and simply needed a little tweak. I adjusted it myself and haven't had a problem since. The self-diagnostic didn't help me with this as the switch would return to it's proper position after it sat for a bit and passed the diagnostic, but I found on a google search that this is a fairly common problem (with the rear brake switch, that is).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Watch your gear position indicator. Mine is flakey, sometimes not even registering a gear at all. Once I'm in sixth, it is usually solid, and I can engage. I was in fifth several times, and it would inadvertently disengage. I finally realized that when a gear wasn't registering, the system would kick it off.
If I keep the bike much longer, I might dig into it, but it has never kicked out while in sixth yet, so can live with it.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Take some electronic cleaner spray and spray all of the switches and contacts (both brakes, clutch, gear position; just 'follow the wires'). They can get dirty and stop working.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Hey Biker Dash, glad to hear you got your bike back. How does everything else look and feel?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, I took a closer look at the underside of the brake pedal/master cylinder, and found what looked to be a contact switch. Said contact switch was activated by the brake pedal via a set screw. Said set screw was not adjusted properly, so the switch was always open. Once I knew where to look, it was the simplest of fixes.

@Glenn54: Bike feels perfect! To celebrate getting her back, I placed new spotlights on order. Nice, bright ones that will become even brighter when I swap out the standard H8 bulb for an LED H8 bulb. (or do those spotlights take H3 bulbs???)

·
Registered
328 Posts
Okay, I took a closer look at the underside of the brake pedal/master cylinder, and found what looked to be a contact switch. Said contact switch was activated by the brake pedal via a set screw. Said set screw was not adjusted properly, so the switch was always open. Once I knew where to look, it was the simplest of fixes.

Yep. That's the one I was referencing. Glad you found that that was all it was.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts