Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone besides me experienced the extreme heat coming up from the engine into your crotch area on the Vulcan Nomad 1700? If so what, if anything have you done to eliminate or a very least reduce that heat. It is very uncomfortable during summer riding. Instead of suffering from this I ride my air-cooled sportster in the summer. I don't notice any heat from it.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Has anyone besides me experienced the extreme heat coming up from the engine into your crotch area on the Vulcan Nomad 1700? If so what, if anything have you done to eliminate or a very least reduce that heat. It is very uncomfortable during summer riding. Instead of suffering from this I ride my air-cooled sportster in the summer. I don't notice any heat from it.
There has been so much discussion on this topic all over this forum...all you have to do is look around, and you'll find more feedback then you know what to do with. Bottom line - ensure you have the heat shield kit installed (I know the 09's didn't come with it, not sure about the 10's), install an after market set of pipes, add a fuel processor, install a Big Air Kit (like Thunder Mfg), and some even claim to have some luck with Engine Ice coolant. Oh, yeah...and wear pants. :D

·
Registered
87 Posts
Big motor, big heat, great to ride on those nippy mornings.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I'll give you another idea that I'm going to look into. I want to look into maybe having a heat shield made for the left side of the radiator to replicate the shielding around the exhaust. If you put your hand down on the left side when the fan comes on you feel the heat blowing like crazy. Now put your down on the right side and you just don't feel the fan blowing like the left side. The exhaust shielding diverts the air flow down and under the bike, off your leg and intake cover. Check it out and let me know what you think of this idea. I'm open to other suggestions and ideas about this.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Put a full sheepskin pelt on the bike. Leather and wool protects you from the heat.

·
Registered
274 Posts
There has been so much discussion on this topic all over this forum...all you have to do is look around, and you'll find more feedback then you know what to do with. Bottom line - ensure you have the heat shield kit installed (I know the 09's didn't come with it, not sure about the 10's), install an after market set of pipes, add a fuel processor, install a Big Air Kit (like Thunder Mfg), and some even claim to have some luck with Engine Ice coolant. Oh, yeah...and wear pants. :D
Top K s right I think this horse has been riden,beat,starved,and resurected so much it just wont die!!!Or go away,my 2cents Your sitting on a ''103'' engine,If you want to stay cool buy a moped Sorry my 2 cents well maybe a buck and some change:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
Top K s right I think this horse has been riden,beat,starved,and resurected so much it just wont die!!!Or go away,my 2cents Your sitting on a ''103'' engine,If you want to stay cool buy a moped Sorry my 2 cents well maybe a buck and some change:rolleyes:
I had a 109 inch BOULEVARD (that I traided in for the VV) that I truly would love to have the heat emitions it had on my new VV. I'm telling you truthfully there was NO heat problems at all from that Suzuki, even if the fan came on. There was never any hot air on my legs at all. The radiator is twice as big as ours and maybe that made a difference, but I also think it's how the bike is designed for air flow that effects what we feel.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I had a 109 inch BOULEVARD (that I traided in for the VV) that I truly would love to have the heat emitions it had on my new VV. I'm telling you truthfully there was NO heat problems at all from that Suzuki, even if the fan came on. There was never any hot air on my legs at all. The radiator is twice as big as ours and maybe that made a difference, but I also think it's how the bike is designed for air flow that effects what we feel.
Did you read my post, #4 about making a heat shield for the left side?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Love the heat, it's a cruiser, it keep yah warm on those cold rides. But yah this has been beaten to death. Yah it's a hot bike, but who cares when your going 100KPH down the highway. I'm sure most of us didn't buy this bike to run around town with on a hot summer day.

We don't mean to be sarastic, it's just not an issue for most is all.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Love the heat, it's a cruiser, it keep yah warm on those cold rides.

I wish that was true. When it is 28 degrees out and I am squeezing my legs against the engine wondering where all the heat is now!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I wish that was true. When it is 28 degrees out and I am squeezing my legs against the engine wondering where all the heat is now!
That's when you get the girlfriend on the back to wrap her legs around you. That or start looking for a motel to catch a warm shower. :D

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
That's when you get the girlfriend on the back to wrap her legs around you. That or start looking for a motel to catch a warm shower. :D
My wife wouldn't let that happen so I got the heated seats. :D

·
Registered
287 Posts
I think a lot of it is just what you get use to. Every bike I've had in the past was water cooled, and initially I noticed a big difference. I'm in Texas and it's been 110 degree's. Now I don't really notice anything until 100 or better. I agree with the sheep skin, does wonders. So far I've also done the Engine Ice, which seems to have defiantly made a felt difference, real or imaginary. Seems like I read a post from someone who use to ride Harley's, and basically his response was; what heat? It's all in what your use to.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry guys, didn't mean to ruffle so many feathers. I am new to this site and don't monitor it day in and day out as it appears some of your do. I was just trying to get some information for a newbie. Thanks for the constructive comments and after reviewing a few of comments and topics on this forum, I learned that the "Factory recall heat shield" that I was told had already been placed on my ride, in fact, has not. Therefore I am going to have to go back and raise hell with the dealer to try and get that corrected. Don't know if it will help a lot but certainly can't hurt.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Sorry guys, didn't mean to ruffle so many feathers. I am new to this site and don't monitor it day in and day out as it appears some of your do. I was just trying to get some information for a newbie.
Don't sweat it man, (pun intended) just this topic has been killed in just about any forum with any bike. But if you search for it, you'll find a ton of ideals.

Recalls - Pipe wrap - coolant mixtures etc etc.

Ride on man, ride on..

·
Registered
434 Posts
Sorry guys, didn't mean to ruffle so many feathers. I am new to this site and don't monitor it day in and day out as it appears some of your do. I was just trying to get some information for a newbie. Thanks for the constructive comments and after reviewing a few of comments and topics on this forum, I learned that the "Factory recall heat shield" that I was told had already been placed on my ride, in fact, has not. Therefore I am going to have to go back and raise hell with the dealer to try and get that corrected. Don't know if it will help a lot but certainly can't hurt.
you haven't ruffled any feathers... that would be impossible with this group... it's just that we've all been through this if we have an 09 bike... and even the newer bikes are hot to sit on in summer traffic. go to this link:

http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5465

print it off and take it to your dealer and DEMAND HE DO THE SHIELDING FOR FREE... it's not a recall issue but Kawasaki will give you the parts for free and reimburse your dealer for the work, so it won't cost you anything.

Frankly I didn't really notice that much difference after the shielding was put on... this big motor gets hot in summer, but only when waiting at stop lights etc, so I avoid town and traffic as much as possible... it doesn't really bother me and it's not an issue if your moving...

·
Registered
392 Posts
the vn1700 puts more heat on the rider than the vn2000, i'm certain of this. However I also know that all motorcycles have a long list of varying characteristics. I rode 200 miles on Sat with temps touching 110! as long as i'm moving, it just doesn't seem to be a big deal to me. and obviously it can be seen as a benefit in cold weather.

as far as spending a large amount of money on pipes, intake, mapping crap, and various other bolt on snake-oils. that is up to the idividual, but personally I don't drink that koolaid. and instead use that money in a more productive manner. to each his own.

·
Registered
142 Posts
It doesnt help or at least I didnt notice a difference after mine was installed. Say what you want about big motor big heat ... I'm not buying it. Its a bad design flaw and puts out way too much heat when that fan kicks on. Air cooled HD's run cooler and so do other big bikes ... like the 2000 mentioned. I have found saddle heat shields for HD's but doesnt seem to be any made for the Kawi.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts