Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning a cross country road trip next year and I need some ideas on what to get/do to my bike. I have a a 2016 Vaquero and I have put a new exhaust, intake and have ivans flash. I am now looking for a new windshield and seat but I am not sure what to get, fyi I am 5' 10" and 160 pounds. I also plan on installing the auxiliary lighting kit at some point. Any ideas or pointers would be vary appreciated.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I can't help you in particular on a Vaquero but I did take a trip on a 03 Roadstar 1600. I had a very large sissy bar bag and between that and the saddle bags, I had plenty of storage for several changes of clothes and toiletries.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
I consider having some basic tools a must. I always carry some. Most people don't, but , on my last trip with a friend on his HD, if I had not had that allen wrench, we'd still be sitting on the side of of the road with his broke ass HD.

·
Registered
116 Posts
If camping, pick stuff hikers carry, lightweight and small.
Newer gear is small, light, durable. Really question everything you are considering to pack on the bike.
Rain gear, tarp for tent/shelter.
Wife and I only carry nuts, crackers, cheese on the way. Setup camp then get food/drink only for that evening/ breaky. Granola/oatmeal and coffee good enough. Small naphtha stove and nesting pots.
If that’s your Schtick...

·
Registered
154 Posts
I take many 3=5 day trip and a good 2 week trip solo every riding season. Let us know more what you are looking for....are you camping? Solo? Motels? Where are you and where do you want to go? Route planning tools? How to pack? Additional bags? If just a question of ergonomics on the bike, an Airhawk, windscreen, new tires, fresh oil etc etc. Will you need tires/oil change on the road somewhere? Def plan ahead/make calls/have tires etc. waiting for you on the road. Motorcycle road trips are the absolute best!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
In no particular order and by all means not all inclusive:
1) Tire puncture kit and some way of inflating the repaired tire
2) Chap stick
3) Sun lotion
4) Tire pressure gauge
5) Some method of keeping hydrated. Either a camelback or a drink holder on the handlebars.
6) Maps.
7) If you're going to have anything bungeed down or tied down, I'd bring some spare (new) bungee cable/rope, etc.
8) If you wear glasses, then a spare back-up pair.
9) If camping: TOILET PAPER!
10) Spare keys
11) Extra fuzes
12) Perhaps an emergency med kit with band-aids, etc.
13) However much clothes you think you'll need. Then drop it down about 25%. You can always do laundry along the way.
14) Large plastic zip loc bags. Good for whatever you might want to stash in there. Dirty clothes, etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts