Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a lot of you guys do your own work on your bike rather than take it to the shop. I'm trying to collect a critical mass of tools so I can do the same. Can I ask anyone who has the inclination to add to my "critical tools" list?

torque wrench (1/4, 3/8, 1/2)
impact driver
Misc screwdrivers
Metric socket set (1/4, 3/8, 1/2)
socket extensions
telescopic magnet
telescopic mirror
rubber mallet
anti-seize
Loc-tite blue
Allen wrench set (metric)
Wire cutters
Vise grips (multiple sizes)
Pliers (multiple sizes)
Molyendeum disufide grease
Solvent
Multi-meter
Duct tape
Zip ties
Drill (w/bits)
Jack

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Almost forgot the oil filter wrench...

·
Registered
286 Posts
Definitely a metric wrench set, also electrical connectors (insulated spades, butt connectors etc) and electrical tape if you plan any electrical work. I also find my tap and die set something I can't do without.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I'm thinking of adding some ratcheting wrenches , and 3/8 drive long allen sockets. As for screw drivers , pay for 1 nice phillips to have in your set , I would recommend a Snap-on #2 with the 8" blade.

D

·
0 Posts
good thread! I was thinking about this myself, but what about tools to take with you on a ride? I suppose I should start a new topic instead of hijacking this one.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Definitely a metric wrench set, also electrical connectors (insulated spades, butt connectors etc) and electrical tape if you plan any electrical work. I also find my tap and die set something I can't do without.
+1 on the tap and die set. I have had to use mine.

I use a large adjustable wrench for holding the bolt still when I loosen the rear wheel retaining nut.

I utilize an SAE allen wrench set as well. Many of my add-ons are US made and do not use metric hardware.

Sounds like a lot to buy if you don't already have much of this stuff.:)

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
+1 on the tap and die set. I have had to use mine.

I use a large adjustable wrench for holding the bolt still when I loosen the rear wheel retaining nut.

I utilize an SAE allen wrench set as well. Many of my add-ons are US made and do not use metric hardware.

Sounds like a lot to buy if you don't already have much of this stuff.:)
Yeah, it looks a little scary in a list, but if you do a rough total, it only adds up to a few hundred bucks. That's not bad compared to those with the woodworking bug.... ;)

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I've been buying tools for 36yrs , a little here a little there so it would be a big $$$$$ outlay to try and buy all the tools I've got in one or two purchases.
If it were me and I needed some mechanics tools I'd keep an eye out for tool set's on sale at Sears , they often come with several drive sizes , allen wrenchs , screw drivers ect. there good tools for the DIY and usually a better deal in a set.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts