Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what tools should I carry with me all the time?

·
Registered
658 Posts
Depends on what you are comfortable doing.

Screwdrivers, slotted and Philips
Allen Keys
2 Crescent (adjustable) Wrenches
Knife
Electrical Tape
Tire patch kit
Flashlight
Tire Pressure Gauge
spare headlight bulb

I have one of these in my bag too, not sure how useful it might be but you never know

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
In addition to what has already been mentioned:
Tire Sealant (just to get me home or repair shop)
CO2 canisters (4)
Motorcycle roadside assistance coverage

·
Registered
307 Posts
Depends on what you are comfortable doing.

Screwdrivers, slotted and Philips
Allen Keys
2 Crescent (adjustable) Wrenches
Knife
Electrical Tape
Tire patch kit
Flashlight
Tire Pressure Gauge
spare headlight bulb
And don't forget this to go along with that Flashlight!

Attachments

·
Registered
307 Posts
what's that? We don't have that in UK
It's mosquito repellant. :)Cause the second you turn on that flashlight, especially where I live, you get swarmed by mosquitos.:eek:

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Credit Card, Mobile/cell phone, cable ties and Gaffa tape :)
ifs, some guys karry more tools on the road than they use at home. If you do much of yor own wrenching, you don't ask these kind of questions cuz you already kno wat you need and should have nuff faith in yor self an sled to handle any mos issues. Not knowing yor skoot leads to not trusting it.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ifs, some guys karry more tools on the road than they use at home. If you do much of yor own wrenching, you don't ask these kind of questions cuz you already kno wat you need and should have nuff faith in yor self an sled to handle any mos issues. Not knowing yor skoot leads to not trusting it.
But if you're willing to learn but don't have the tools with you you're not going to be able to fix it.

Ifs advice is good even if a bit tongue in cheek. There are a lot of get home bodges that can be done with gaffer tape and zip ties. Learnt that from years of mountain biking.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
But if you're willing to learn but don't have the tools with you you're not going to be able to fix it.
Ifs advice is good even if a bit tongue in cheek. There are a lot of get home bodges that can be done with gaffer tape and zip ties. Learnt that from years of mountain biking.
dn,, you missed the point entirely. If's advice is spot on. carrying excessive tools for all the "what ifs" that could happen demonstrates that you neither kno yor bike, yor tools or even how to fix it where there an issue. most everything that happens can be fixed or at least temp mended with some very basic tools. If you are not already wrenching yor sled and kno its strengths and potential weaknesses, you have set yorself up for a game of Mistrust. thinking you have to have everything for every possible contingency. Even if you had all that krap, you still dont know what/how to do it and doing it on the side of the road is not even close to being acceptible.
I have ridden dozens of motorcycles all over this country and have had very few incidences that required any kind of service. Most I can take care of with the very few things I carry. Replacing a Tire or fixing a flat is done in a shop. they are everywhere. including that most remote location you think yor beast is gonna let you down on. then you dont know your beast. and/or your taking it where you shouldnt when you know its gonna break.
basic tools; kredit kard, cell phone, roadside tow insurance, zip ties, duct tape.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
with all due respect to you and your experience the thread is titled "#critical# tools - to take with you on a ride". I think I'll take a few more tools than that. Even with my limited knowledge i'd rather tighten a nut or screw myself than phone a mechanic to come and do it for me.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
critical.. all those items are already bagged in that little pouch under the seat. if you plan to do major surgery on yor side the road breakdown,, you shouldnt be playing in the rain.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
they're not actually. I got the bike 2nd hand and there's no tools with it. All the toolkit box area is taken up by an alarm and the power commander. That's the reason I need to know, I suppose I should've mentioned before :)

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
they're not actually. I got the bike 2nd hand and there's no tools with it. All the toolkit box area is taken up by an alarm and the power commander. That's the reason I need to know, I suppose I should've mentioned before :)
kritical piece of missing info. yes, you do need some basic tools for minor stuff. the bike comes with "cheap throw away tools". they will do in a pinch. some fellas go to the truble of replacing them with quality tools. ok.

others insist on karrying a full set of box tools and power tools in case they need to rebuild their motor in middle of death valley. my response is that anybody who knows how to take their bike down to this level and bring it back doesnt need those tools because they know the condition of their bikes and also How to do it. Those that karry all that krap, know neither their bike nor how to fix it even if they did have a full shop set up.

After you do enuff traveling you will or should learn that the BEST way is to travel LIGHT. carry as little as you can and still have what you need. Your best bet for emergencies is RESOURCES.. cell phone, kredit kards, some kash, yor ability to think on yor feet, cetera.. ponchout

1 - 16 of 16 Posts