Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Hope you can help.

My wife and I went for a ride today and when she pulled up beside me, her 900 Classic was creaking like mad. At first I thought her exhaust was loose but under closer inspection the creak is in the rear suspension or swing arm. Is there a grease fitting under there for servicing the swing arm? Or are the bushings going to need replacing?

The bike is a 2008 with 30K miles.

· Registered
405 Posts
Yes there are grease fittings on the swing arm pivot, originally there were 3 on the bottom, I believe 1 was removed and a bolt was inserted in its place. Most of the original years got one of the zerks, nipples, ripped off from hitting bottom, inspect the area and look for a small bolt on the very bottom, you can replace with a zerk and grease then remove.
Page 59 and 60 show the location of the zerks

Ride Safe.

· Registered
1,410 Posts
Ok, looked in the Clymer service manual, there is one grease nipple on the suspension lever (rocker arm in the Kawasaki manual) (lowest part of the rear suspension). According to the manual, this nipple exists only on 2006-2009 models. My 2013 VN900 does not have them. It is not there on later models. The only grease recommendation is for a waterproof grease. I assume a Moly grease. All other swingarm bearings appear to need disassembly and reassembly to grease them.

· Registered
405 Posts
I can confirm my '09 Classic has three fittings. I just replaced them b/c 1 of them was clogged.
Thank you. ;)
And another good reason NOT to use the Clymer service manual.
I am shocked you still have all three, tore one off not long after I got the bike.

Ride Safe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.