Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll just lay it out there in black and white - I wrecked. Sucks!!! :eek:

To summarize -

Was going on a twisty ride with a friend last night, I'm riding with a slightly bent left footpeg that happened last week in a tight parking lot, and this spring I mounted up a 170/80-50 rear tire to get more lean angle. Proved to be a bad combination.

While I have been having a blast being the only cruiser at bike nights w/ zero chicken strip on my rear tire, and that bad @$$ bike will give most any sport bike a run for its money in the backroads now, I should've used my noggin to figure out that after already mashing the pegs into the pavement all summer long, and having one bent peg a slight bit upwards, it would increase my lean angle a bit more than the rear tire could handle. It happened last night. I should've also given up chasing my sport bike buddies and reluctantly given in that I'm on a cruiser and not a crotch rocket. The heavy/low sitting weight of the VN900C is just loads of fun and I guess I needed to push it to its limits.

Quick left-right-left flick turn on a downhill grade, as I made the second left transition facing downhill the bike just leaned to the point that the rear tire wasn't able to keep up and I washed out into an embankment at about 30mph.

I'm fine, little sore today but okay.

I'm pleased to report the 900C held up nicely. The bike essentially went down on left side (saving my exhaust/intake thankfully) then ran into/up an embankment and overturned about 80% of the way.

As I watched the bike sliding next to me then run up the hill and nearly flip over all I could think was PLEASE DON'T BEND THE FORKS OR WHEEL!!!

Well, I rode home w/ my headlight conveniently placed inside my jacket for safe keeping... lol Bike wasn't that bad off.

Other than that damage the following is worth mentioning:

at 30mph left lowside, the engine covers didn't even get damaged. I was shocked. I guess the peg folded up and protected it, acting like a frame slider of sorts.

Bike rides straight still, even w/ taking hands off the bars at 40-50mph. No major wobbles anywhere to report, no leaks.

Only damage is:
-headlight broken off from housing. lense still intact just broken chrome housing
-tank dented and scratched - no leaks
-peg/shifter/bracket all bent - was able to have a friend hold the bike while I kicked/bent it back into place
-left side tail chrome trim is scuffed badly
-something poked a hole in the tail section just above the tail light
-clutch lever bent
-clutch cable mulled up a bit
-left mirror and bracked scratched up a bit

So I'm thinking at this point, metallic black is old news. I need new paint ideas! I may start a new thread for this. In KY we still have about 2 months of riding left and I want the bike painted and back on the road ASAP so I'm not going to waste any time.

Can't turn it into insurance, bike is a prior salvage title and I only carry liability insurance on it.

Ideas for new paint color?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm thinking of fitting up an XR1200 headlight. I never cared for how far forward the OEM headlight poked out there.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Glad you are ok and the bike is ok for the most part sounds like its time for some custom pieces

·
Registered
370 Posts
What is an XR1200 headlight? I agree I am not a big fan of the oem headlight and would love to replace mine as well.
harley headlight I believe

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, sits back in the triple a bit, doesn't hang out there in the obtrusive way the OEM Kawi headlight does.

Here's a pic:

Stock:

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Yikes! Glad to hear you're alright!

Those pegs are good frame sliders if they need to be! :p

·
Registered
370 Posts

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Ouchies!! Knew this guy, back in the days, he was abit unhinged, that wanted to go for a ride. I followed and knew the road up ahead had some hairpins. I pulled-up on the second twisty and he was curled around a guard rail. The bike was halfway under the rail, close. He dusted himself off, we picked up the bike and rode on. This time at a moderate speed.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
First off, glad you're ok, wrecks truely do suck.

Second, replace what you can and want to replace, but be warry about riding it. All too often bikes can get a little tweaked during a wreck. While they seem to ride fine, a bearing or bushing can be out of alignment just a hair and result in a failure. I would recommend still taking it to a shop and have it looked over really good, just to be safe. Just my 2 pennies.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for finding that part for me.

To the rest - thank you, glad I'm okay too.

I actually have been hating that super soft paint for a while anyway. That black kept hazing up and I'd have to buff the bike like twice a month to keep it nice. No more black!

Never seen a white VN900C, maybe I'll go that route. :)

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Glad you're okay. Burnt orange is a popular color these days. My wife wants me to paint my bike that color. She is a alumni of Univ of Texas. I'm from the Tex A&M program. I like the color, but I can't let her win!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Amazes me sometimes the things you find on ebay at higher prices than you can buy brand new OEM.

On ebay right now there are used rear fenders going for $250+ when you can buy from cheapcycleparts.com a brand new painted fender shipped for less than $250.

Oh, and by the way, talked with my paint guy and as long as I get my end of the work done this week, I'll be dropping the parts off next week for paint work.

Going to be the only pearl white 900 Custom I've ever seen! :D

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Amazes me sometimes the things you find on ebay at higher prices than you can buy brand new OEM.

On ebay right now there are used rear fenders going for $250+ when you can buy from cheapcycleparts.com a brand new painted fender shipped for less than $250.

Oh, and by the way, talked with my paint guy and as long as I get my end of the work done this week, I'll be dropping the parts off next week for paint work.

Going to be the only pearl white 900 Custom I've ever seen! :D
Very cool!

I've contemplated painting my bike too. Would be cool to have a non-OEM color! With the cost of paint-matching my tour pak, saddlebags, and (maybe?) fairing (which I need to get around to doing), since I have two-tone paint, I can get the entire BIKE (including those accessories) painted one color.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Project 84

Sounds to me like Project is in a transition period, do I go or do I stay? The Vulcan sure isn't made for that type of manuever.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
^^^ that's what made it so unique when riding with friends. I could keep up with guys on sport bikes in most scenarios.

True though, the Vulcan isn't built for that and I found that out the hard way.

I'm reevaluating my outlook on motorcycling as a whole. I have been avoiding my supermoto because of my antics on that thing, it hasn't been ridden in over 2 months. So I have been riding my "safe motorcycle" the Vulcan, but my riding style got more aggressive since I wasn't getting the thrills I was used to on the supermoto.

I keep thinking of buying a big sport tourer like a Concours 1400 or FZ1 or something.... but I don't think it's the motorcycle that's the problem, I think I'm just not getting my adrenaline fix the proper way.

.....noticed after this spill that my nerves weren't even rattled and that scares me.

I'm keeping the Vulcan. If nothing else I'll rig up a throttle-stop that only gives me 1/2 throttle and that'll have to be how I control myself to some extent. Drastic measure, but might not be a bad idea.

·
Registered
370 Posts
^just noticed you are some what close by were you riding on 10 or 22 lol. As for the keeping your self tame do what I did, have kids lol.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Was actually on my way to Rabbit Hash as I live within 10 minutes of it... if you've never been, research it and go take a look, just be careful!

I don't get out to 10/22 much, only been twice this year.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have been to rabbit hash once didnt much care for how much drinking seemed to be going on down there but this was back in 2006 with a bunch of guys on sports bikes

1 - 20 of 20 Posts